Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hello again gang! First of all let me apologize for the state of my workbench, but if I clean it off I'll never be able to find anything, lol! I originally started out on this project about 3 years ago, but other projects kept leaping in front of it. As you can see, this is Monograms 1/16 scale Pete 359 I originally purchased some 20 years ago, and also in that time I acquired an Ebay junkyard built up for spare parts in preparation for the build I had in mind. I did not want to build it box stock, and I definitely didn't want to build it with the supplied CAT 3408 V8 engine. So, since I had an old 1/25 scale AMT Pete 359 with a Cummins engine, I had good parts to actually "scale up" the build. I started by cutting the transmission off the CAT motor, and begin taking measurements to scratch build the Cummins. The engine in the AMT is the Cummins 350 BigCam 1, so I had to make a few changes to better replicate the Cummins 855 BigCam 2 that I wanted to scratch build. The block was made up of several thicknesses of sheet styrene, lots of sanding, shaping, and looking at lots of photo's and spec sheet's. The cylinder heads, rocker boxes, and valve cover's, were cast from scratch built parts that were later made into molds. With the exception of major engine parts, such as the exhaust manifold, coolant manifold, and after-cooler, most of the other components can be sourced from the kit supplied engine with a little modification, but that's the easy part. Other modifications to the kit includes a scale 4' frame stretch, steerable front axle, larger fuel tanks, corrected battery boxes, and adding storage boxes. I have also lengthened the stock hood (119" bumper to back of cab) version supplied in the kit, to the 127" extended hood version available at that time (1979). If interested, please follow along with me on this build, and I'll occasionally update you as I go. Thanks for looking!

2020-07-31_19_56_30.jpg

2020-07-31_19_50_23.jpg

2020-07-31_19_37_23.jpg

2020-07-31_19_45_55.jpg

2020-07-31_19_42_05.jpg

2020-07-31_19_36_50.jpg

2020-07-31_19_39_04.jpg

I’m following to! Nice work so far looking forward to seeing what’s next. 

That Cummins is impressive. I love the old Cummins engines, went like the wind and seemingly lasted forever.