Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bob Glidden 94 Thunderbird

lordgodbob

Hello all...

This is probably my favorite build, it came out better than I could have hoped. Bob ran this car at exactly two races, but I saw it in Pomona and fell in love with it.

I started with a stock 92 Thunderbird SC kit and a Cutlass PS kit. I stretched the nose of the Thunderbird, smoothed out the bumpers, lengthened the hood, and added the scoop and wing. The chassis fit pretty well, and I honestly can’t remember what mods I made to the engine other than aftermarket valve covers and distributor (which is inaccurate, but whatever)

I used decals from multiple kits and manufacturers, and airbrushed the blue fade on the nose.

As you can see from the date on the autograph, this is a nearly 20 year old build, but like I said, it’s my favorite!

2605B234-8FDB-4A10-A737-CEEFDB77A4ED.jpeg

9A6F367E-6B8C-4018-BC28-69CBB1FF1DAA.jpeg

714DBEB8-7BF1-46B4-A28A-A04867201D95.jpeg

55779574-9808-4C80-84A7-E264955DE920.jpeg

21 minutes ago, dragin70s said:

Very nice, and a great subject.  Love pretty much all of Glidden's cars.

You and me both...I’m on the verge of finishing two more of his Thunderbirds and I’ll have all six...

I also have a Probe that I build years ago that I’m redoing, a Mustang II waiting for clear, and a 68 Fastback almost ready for paint. Oh, and his Firebird he briefly drove for Steve Schmidt...

4 hours ago, lordgodbob said:

You and me both...I’m on the verge of finishing two more of his Thunderbirds and I’ll have all six...

I also have a Probe that I build years ago that I’m redoing, a Mustang II waiting for clear, and a 68 Fastback almost ready for paint. Oh, and his Firebird he briefly drove for Steve Schmidt...

OH wow, I hope you'll post some of those at some point, would love to see them. I only have my Chief/7-11 Thunderbird that was build around '90, and have the red Motorcraft T-bird in my stash to build that I will get around to some day. Really want to get a resin body or two and do some of his older stuff at some point as well. Buried in McEwen's Care-Free FC right now and who knows when I'll finish it haha. 

5 hours ago, dragin70s said:

OH wow, I hope you'll post some of those at some point, would love to see them. I only have my Chief/7-11 Thunderbird that was build around '90, and have the red Motorcraft T-bird in my stash to build that I will get around to some day. Really want to get a resin body or two and do some of his older stuff at some point as well. Buried in McEwen's Care-Free FC right now and who knows when I'll finish it haha. 

I’ll post more, I don’t have great pictures, So I’ll have to take some...and I’ll do a WIP on two of them tomorrow. 

54A3BD23-DE28-43A8-8DB2-1A8DFDD3E4A7.jpeg

FB9FDAAB-AEF8-4074-A983-0AFE26C4C90A.jpeg

25E2FA65-E803-46EC-950F-C25E95EC2454.jpeg

On 8/1/2020 at 10:28 PM, lordgodbob said:

I’ll post more, I don’t have great pictures, So I’ll have to take some...and I’ll do a WIP on two of them tomorrow. 

54A3BD23-DE28-43A8-8DB2-1A8DFDD3E4A7.jpeg

FB9FDAAB-AEF8-4074-A983-0AFE26C4C90A.jpeg

25E2FA65-E803-46EC-950F-C25E95EC2454.jpeg

They all look great. Thanks for showing them, hard to pick a favorite, but I do love that red/white Motorcraft version. 

7 hours ago, dragin70s said:

They all look great. Thanks for showing them, hard to pick a favorite, but I do love that red/white Motorcraft version. 

Yup,The red and white Motor Craft T Bird is definitely my favorite.Always has been,....

Their all great builds, very well done! When I was younger I was somewhat of a Chevy snob, Glidden changed that for me when he went to Mopar for a year and was just as competitive as he was with the Ford. I learned it was the person and not the brand name of the car that made a difference. Great builds and thanks for posting them, I enjoyed looking at them very much. Looks like you adjusted the stance on these, car to share how you did it?

25 minutes ago, dragcarz said:

Their all great builds, very well done! When I was younger I was somewhat of a Chevy snob, Glidden changed that for me when he went to Mopar for a year and was just as competitive as he was with the Ford. I learned it was the person and not the brand name of the car that made a difference. Great builds and thanks for posting them, I enjoyed looking at them very much. Looks like you adjusted the stance on these, car to share how you did it?

The rear is easy, I just shorten the shocks.
It’s a little trickier in the front,  I cut the spindle off and move it up higher on the strut. 

• 1 year later...