Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes 300SL convertible

Rich Chernosky

After years of sitting in its box I have finally finished my 1/16 Italeri Mercedes 300SL convertible (also known as a cabrioblet)  Colour is a pearlized ink by  Liqui Acrylic currently sold by Hobby Lobby. Colour is called Sun Up blue and i add a small amount of Tamiya clear blue to bring out the colour more. The trunk had some sand through during polishing and had to be resprayed recently. Matching the colour again after 12yrs proved a little problematic. Which is probably why is sat so long. Once past that problem the kit went together well and the chassis was surprisingly detailed. (se photos) I liked all the working features on this kit, opening hood, doors and trunk. Especially the steering wheels which operate through the steering wheel via a rack and pinion box (shown) See photo captions for more details.Thanks for looking.

DSC07041.JPG.a185c7770efeca12a483d60787a73b19.JPG

Almost forgot I had this background, rest of the photos are on my white background to show detail

DSC07034.JPG.20fc71952e5143fedb3f15ae628fd035.JPGOne of my favorite photos, all that chrome trim was seperate but fit very nice. 

DSC07036.JPG.93a046fbc2e55d7d89a504ee3bc3d846.JPGThe engine  is the same 6 cyl as found in the Gullwing coupe. It is mounted at a 45 degree angle  to reduce the hood line. This was quite an engineering feat in the 50's

DSC07037.JPG.4486b84be635afec0a138d01b17c8b70.JPGThe doors open and close quite nicely, I really like this interior which was sprayed with Tamiya flats. Carpet is velour wallpaper I had from a sample book.

DSC07028.JPG.054e672607ad9dbeb319808ac694bfc6.JPGThe chassis ready to go under the body

DSC07030.JPG.185d0d4921a78d662192db8860a928fa.JPGDon't usually take this photo but the underside was so detailed...why not show it. 

DSC07031.JPG.8210206da55d30cdbd44a2fe48d6e999.JPGThat steering box has a small rack and pinion that worked very smoothly.

DSC07040.JPG.906686176e5470a7104cf975fa54e72f.JPGTook this picture to show the actual size of the car.  1/16 is a good size model. Italeri hit a home run with the kit inmy opine. 

I am really impressed with your build of this Mercedes.  I have never seen one built before and appreciate your sharing it with us.  The chassis pictures are most welcome with the detail Italeri included especially the rack and pinion steering.  Well done Rich.

58 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

I am really impressed with your build of this Mercedes.  I have never seen one built before and appreciate your sharing it with us.  The chassis pictures are most welcome with the detail Italeri included especially the rack and pinion steering.  Well done Rich.

Thank you Gary.   The kit was not really all that difficult so I am sure somebody else must have built one. Maybe this post will bring them out of the closet. 

20 hours ago, Dave B said:

Great looking build Rich, that's a nicely detailed kit.  Like your idea for the carpet too would never have thought of that!

Dave B

Dave...we model builders collect all sorts of stuff that we think will work.  I was the manager of a paint and wallpaper  store and one day this small sample book showed up. We were never going to sell any of that stuff but the minute I saw the book I knew  "I" had a use for it. It went home with me that day and i still have it. Its not a matter of  going out of my way to think about it. It was more like using some of the things we have on hand. 

8 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

I went back through your photos and noted especially the way you painted the exhaust pipe, very realistic.  So many models have bright exhaust pipes and yours are so accurate with the weathered look.

Gary...that's actually the first time I have attempted that. So the compliment is most appreciated.