Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius Dodge pickup in the works?

On 8/3/2020 at 6:41 PM, GMP440 said:

Moebius has done pretty good with the Ford trucks.  I would think that releasing any 68-73 Dodge truck would sell just as well.  Someone mentioned the Dude Dodge truck.  I'm in.

I agree 100%. Most of us waited a long time for the '65-'72 Ford pickups, I'm talking decades. Many of us bought multiple kits and sure Moebius made some coin off them. IMO, the Dodge pickup series will bring in the same coin. The Dodge pickup '65-'71 in particular, can be done in the exact same way as the Ford,, without a lot of extra tooling, just grill changes, shortbeds , longbeds,  "utilines" slant 6 , v8 and last but not least the famous Power Wagon 4x4 pickups. Looking back in these forums,  there were nay sayers on doing '65-'72 Ford pickups a few years ago.

Edited by leafsprings

7 hours ago, Bucky said:

If I saw a 1971 Dodge pickup model kit sitting next to a 1971 Chevy pickup model kit at a hobby shop, I'd get the Dodge, but that's just me! LoL

With you 1000%, Bucky. My first vehicle was a ‘71 D-100. It was a retired Virginia DOT truck. My dad bought it in 1981 for $300. It sat on blocks in a man’s yard that was on his route to work. He named it Herman. I bought it from my dad in ‘91 when I got my license. Most of the time when I read the following words on the forum I think it’s hyperbole, but I would literally buy a case of them. 

I also think late 40s early 50s Power Wagons would be a gold mine. The possibilities are bountiful. M-37, Field Ambulance, Dpt. of Forestry/ranch truck/civilian versions that could include parts trees with appropriately themed hand and PTO driven tools and decals. Even a SEMA-esque custom version with a Cummins Turbo Diesel would be cool.

On 8/4/2020 at 5:25 AM, unclescott58 said:

That doesn't make sense to me. I understand that diecast toy market is bigger. But, why can they tool things up so much faster? 

When you are not bothering with all the parts, I.E. Detail, things move quite faster. And most die cast are done either super nice or very toy like, most leaning towards toy like. 

When die cast are converted into kits, the complaints pour in, but then again, that seems to be the norm in the model car world. 

IMHO- if they developed a '61-'71 Dodge pickup kit, it would sell well. While we could probably use a new kit of the '67-'71 Chevy and GMC trucks, they were already done. The Dodges would fill a long overdue gap in availability, while the '72 Chevys are still pretty available (and pending another reissue soon), resin grilles and parts to backdate them are available as well. There are resins of the Dodges available, but at this point, either the quality is rangy, the more expensive ones are very good but hard to get (and pay for), and even then, few are really complete kits (except for the Modelhaus kits, which have hit gold bar status).  

I'd buy several Dodges vs. one or maybe none of a new Chevy pickup kit. I have nothing against the Chevies, but the Dodges would be new. I think a new Dodge would also grab the attention (and some purchases from) of some of your non-Mopar fans as well. Old Mopars in general have had their stock rise greatly among car guys over the past several years. I remember a time not too long ago where Mopars got very little love from the car hobby. Now, you mention "Mopar", and it seems like you get everybody's attention. You see them on TV and the web almost constantly. These cars and trucks have gone from being the shy, retiring wallflowers of the American auto hobby, to the Cool Kids, and I think sales of Mopar kits, diecasts and other hobby items reflect this.

I think many hobbyists are getting a little bored with the "safe bets", and want to see more variety. I know I have, and I do.

I think Moebius has been very good at picking the surprising bets rather than the safe bets, and they have done well with it. I think doing the Dodges would be in line with that strategy.  

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 8/5/2020 at 10:44 AM, CapSat 6 said:

The Dodges would fill a long overdue gap in availability, while the '72 Chevys are still pretty available (and pending another reissue soon),  

Right, the '72 Chevy coke version is now out, and really doubt anyone is going to invest anymore in this series. That leaves us with the 61-71 Dodge ( a whopping 10 years of this cab style)  as the only holdout never done by big plastic. I'm sure  insiders in the hobby know if the Dodge  is secretly being developed as we speak.

Edited by leafsprings

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, leafsprings said:

Still no word from the insiders?

Not even close to being an insider, but I would suspect that the near to mid-term focus of Moebius kit development efforts will be to continue the derivatives of the mid-1960's to early 1970's Ford light duty trucks.   

My own guess is that as a next step they would move to the 1967-72 Chevy pickups before the 1961-71 Dodges.  This, based on the broader number of various derivatives that would be subjects for scale replication, and the (presumed) broader kit sales appeal of Chevy vs. Dodge pickups.   (If they eventually ended up going the Chevy route, I would personally hope that the 1967/68 versions would be at the top of the list as the original AMT/MPC kit versions for these years have never been reissued).   

Take this for what it's worth (very little!), and as always, time will tell.....TB