Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Mustang - 2020 CBR Entry

KWT

When the Revell 69 Boss 302 came out, I'll admit, I only wanted the car to see the difference in the front clips. I still had a 69 from the mustang 3 pack I bought 20+ years ago to compare it too. Unfortunately when it arrived, I tossed the new kit in the stash with the rest and forgot all about it.. Mustangs, although I do kinda like a few, really aren't my thing...

So yesterday, I decided to watch a movie that I had never seen before... John Wick... It had been recommended to me by sister... hoowee... what a good flick. All the action needed. A little taste of comedic relief. And a story to follow along... And in this movie was a mustang that really jumped out at me. So I raced into the dungeon and searched the stash... Found the Boss and have finally found the Mach 1. And so begins my next Hollywood star car.. and my entry into this years CBR...

image000000.jpg.d8d05d4af08ee4b88e358ffdca7f4f84.jpg

This is where we sit so far... Been gluing, cutting, scraping and sanding all day... We have the old mustang kit body. I've added the nose and hood from the Boss kit. And also a scoop from the Revell 68 Mustang kit (not yet attached). I have also added some evergreen strips below the doors...

More John Wick to come...

Edited by KWT

26 minutes ago, KWT said:

When the Revell 69 Boss 302 came out, I'll admit, I only wanted the car to see the difference in the front clips. I still had a 69 from the mustang 3 pack I bought 20+ years ago to compare it too. Unfortunately when it arrived, I tossed the new kit in the stash with the rest and forgot all about it.. Mustangs, although I do kinda like a few, really aren't my thing...

So yesterday, I decided to watch a movie that I had never seen before... John Wick... It had been recommended to me by sister... hoowee... what a good flick. All the action needed. A little taste of comedic relief. And a story to follow along... And in this movie was a mustang that really jumped out at me. So I raced into the dungeon and searched the stash... Found the Boss and have finally found the Mach 1. And so begins my next Hollywood star car.. and my entry into this years CBR...

image000000.jpg.d8d05d4af08ee4b88e358ffdca7f4f84.jpg

This is where we sit so far... Been gluing, cutting, scraping and sanding all day... We have the old mustang kit body. I've added the nose and hood from the Boss kit. And also a scoop from the Revell 68 Mustang kit. I have also added some evergreen strips below the doors...

More John Wick to come...

Good luck on the conversion.  The build by Cruz in that other magazine should help out.  I was a little disappointed in a few things on the 69 Boss 302 that being a Mustang person I noticed right away.  The Boss 302 did not have the round emblems on the area behind the windows  and the 69 Shelby interior was in the kit including the roll bar which is incorrect for any stock Mustang except the Shelby  Since you are doing the Wick version which is often referred to as a Boss 429 - (it’s not)I I would note all the unique things on the “movie” car and use the various parts from the Revell and Monogram kits and you will be able to make Wick’s Mach1 that does have most of the features of a Non-Ram air Mach1 with an automatic trans and a non-functional hood scoop (not in either 69 kit but the same as from the 68 CJ kit) and no Mach1 stripes on the side.  The decorative Mustang roof emblems on this car are correct and Ford made some bare bones sportsroofs loaded with options and since they destroyed five cars while filming I’m guessing they bought some stripped down cars and make them all appear similar.  It’s a shame that many Mustangs were destroyed as any good Mustang fastback body with A legitimate VIN is worth saving.

76747534-A36C-492F-8325-D657455B2E39.jpeg

83980780-1974-4CD3-8850-227F83C5F760.jpeg

I look at the Wick car the same as the Cage Eleanor... It's a mutant. And being a movie car, there's no way to make the exact thing. It's like building a General Lee lol.

I do appreciate the insight thought. I'm going to be watch the movie a couple more times and grab some screen shots.. I may work up the shifter, but then again, I may leave it a stick. I'm undecided on a lot of things right now. I'm spraying spoons with every gray I have.... and seeing as I dig Charcoal gray vehicles so much, I have a lot of different versions of those...

I saw two of the John Wick Mustangs at a car show last year (or what was left of them, that is).  One was very restorable but the other looked like it had been t-boned pretty hard.  As with most movie cars, they had been fixed up to look good on camera for the movie but left a lot to be desired when seen in person.  FWIW, the owner stated both of those cars were true Mach I's.  I didn't care to check them over close enough to determine if that was accurate.

Got the first coat of primer sprayed and then wet sanded. Then wouldn't you know it, I found a couple spot that I needed to clean up.

Here's where we stand so far.

image000000.jpg.2c4c836744f74050ddf663db28985f98.jpg

With the grey primer, it's kinda starting to look the part.

More John Wick's "Hitman" Mustang soon...

Edited by KWT
spelling

2 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Hi Jerremy (fellow Tennesseean here),  looks good, what paint did you use?

Always nice to see a fellow Humidity state on here... I ended up goin with Testors Graphite Dust. It's part of the "Extreme Lacquer" line. I wanted to go Gunmetal, but decided I wanted a little metal flake in it instead.