Model Cars Magazine Forum

1933 Cadillac V16 Convertible Coupe

Hoffman

Jay, David, Sonny~ Thank you for your interest and nice comments. I wanted to post an update over the weekend, but I ran into a plumbing issue in the house and had to work on that instead. 😔 I have made some progress on the chassis for the Cadillac. I'll try to post photos later this week.

The chassis is Italeri, shortened from a scale 149" to 143", matching the car I'm replicating. The front axle is from a Franklin Mint '32 Cadillac. The engine is the Italeri V-16, with some modifications. The valve covers are from the Monogram '32 Cadillac. I used the intake and exhaust manifolds and carburetors as well. They're slightly larger than the Italeri pieces and look more authentic. I made the distributor from several sizes of aluminum tubing, and yes, there are sixteen individual plug wires in the bundle. The two stray wires go to the twin ignition coils that are mounted in the top of the radiator. Next set of pictures are full size '33 Cadillac for reference.

1933 452 v16 all weather phaeton 3e.jpg

30436512-1933-cadillac-v16-std.jpg

One thing I noticed while pouring over photos is the valve cover gaskets. From the right angle, they're pretty noticeable on the full size engines. I think they're cork. I thought it would be fun to replicate that. I did it using thin paper gasket material from Napa Auto Parts. The thickness was about right for the scale model and the color was right. For the chrome pipes you see running from the top of the intake manifolds to the back of then engine, I used thin stainless safety wire, bent and routed appropriately. The 'T' fitting behind the cylinder heads is bits of brass tubing that I soldered together.

• 1 year later...

Hi Dan,

Sorry Man. That one is still sitting on the workbench, waiting for some love. I've been goofing around with revamping diecasts for about a year. This 250 TR was the last one I tackled. I keep thinking I need to get back to the Cadillac and finish it though.