Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Shelby

landman

Great project! I've always liked that green Hertz scheme and plan to build mine that way when I get around to it. 

The roof louvers wouldn't be correct for a '66 GT350H, only the glass. Does your kit even have them included? I have it in mind that it doesn't, only the glass. But I could be wrong. 

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Great project! I've always liked that green Hertz scheme and plan to build mine that way when I get around to it. 

The roof louvers wouldn't be correct for a '66 GT350H, only the glass. Does your kit even have them included? I have it in mind that it doesn't, only the glass. But I could be wrong. 

They are there. And to me they are the styling cue I prefer on the '65-'66 fastbacks. I know they wouldn't be correct, but it won't be going to any judging meet.?

Edited by landman

I look forward to seeing the end result!  Overall I'd say the accuracy of this kit is pretty good, but something has always bugged me about the proportions of this kit.  Whatever it is, it's so subtle that I never could put my finger on it.  Does the rear track width look a little wide to anyone else when built straight out of the box?  I need to get mine out and experiment with it.

1 hour ago, landman said:

Here are the three greens I have. None are like the car above. we'll see. And I'm not so sure about the louvers anymore.

IMG_0139.JPG

The one on the left is closest. 

I have a big can of some kind of dark green I got at an auto parts store--might be Duplicolor. I think it's called Chrysler Sherwood Green or something of sort. It's not too far off the pic of the real Shelby above. B)

Wish I had an answer for the decals but I’m guessing the area was cut out with an exact knife and painted black.  I painted the stripes on this kit I built many years ago anticipating this very problem.  For the rocker stripes I always look at pictures of the real car and make sure the letters and numbers line up with the fender.  I also cut the decal in sections if it part of it is on the door.

I wonder if the stripes on that box art model were painted rather than decalled?  Would be easier to paint that scoop than decal it for sure. Then, a black wash would give you the dark spots in that vent.

Of course, some decal setting solution would probably get you pretty close and make those decals snuggle in to the vents and then you can do a black wash over those after you’ve done the clear in the same way ??