Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Shelby

landman

I too just read about your paint issue!.....that is so strange!....sorry to hear that. Duplicolor paints are my first, and favorite go-to, and i must say, i've NEVER seen that happen before. I've seen that clear before, but never used it.....this is the clear i use without any issues.....the Mirage topcoat next to it works great too -its the same stuff.

DSCF9916.JPG

DSCF9917.JPG

1 hour ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Just another ordeal to test your strength of character my friend!   You will overcome this with an even better paint job I'm sure!   You mentioned that you will only put the side stripes but I was wondering if you have considered painting the stripes (hood, top and trunk) instead of using decals?

That would be beyond my skills. There would be bleedouts and such

2 hours ago, landman said:

That would be beyond my skills. There would be bleedouts and such

It is not beyond your skills. Paint a base coat of fine metallic gold, Use 1/16" masking tape to make straight lines. Lay large pieces of BMF. Cut BMF to leave mask over gold. Remove all areas to be green. Use bits of parafilm or BMF to seal any tiny grooves such a window trim. Paint your green. Remove BMF mask, Voila! gold stripes!

IMG_1121.JPG

IMG_1122.JPG

IMG_1290.JPG

5 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

It is not beyond your skills. Paint a base coat of fine metallic gold, Use 1/16" masking tape to make straight lines. Lay large pieces of BMF. Cut BMF to leave mask over gold. Remove all areas to be green. Use bits of parafilm or BMF to seal any tiny grooves such a window trim. Paint your green. Remove BMF mask, Voila! gold stripes!

Thanks Bill. I had thought of painting them but wasn't sure of the sequence. I haven't had very good luck with anything "paint", so I have been hesitant.

Ouch on the clearcoat issue. My go-to clearcoat has always been Testors Wet Look lacquer or Rustoleum clearcoats. I try not to use Duplicolor since I’ve heard they are too hot for plastic unless you have primer already applied. Outdoor temps  can also be the cause of orange peel finish.