Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trading Post question

My apologies if this is in the wrong section, but I didn't know where else to put it.

There are a number of parts I'd like to have to finish certain builds based on a specific design I had in mind, but I don't have much in the way of a parts stash to use in a trade.  The rules, as Harry et al wrote them, say outright purchasing is verboten, and the price of kits and shipping is too high just to obtain an item or two.  If I could find what I want on ebay, I wouldn't be posting this.

Is a cash purchase really that big a deal if both sides are OK with it?   :hide:

Maybe the rules about trading can be relaxed a bit to allow selling with the disclaimer/proviso is that any deals are private and personal between the seller and the buyer and that the forum accepts no liability and will not be involved in any disputes that may arise.

It's been mentioned before that a cash transaction via PM is OK. You just can't advertise kits or parts for sale on the forum. That's my understanding. There's times a trade can't be worked out and the only option is to buy outright. 

31 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

It's been mentioned before that a cash transaction via PM is OK. You just can't advertise kits or parts for sale on the forum. That's my understanding. There's times a trade can't be worked out and the only option is to buy outright. 

I wish we could have that officially spelled out in the rules so it wouldn't be an issue.  Who do we ask about that?  Gregg?

If you post that you need a specific part to move a build along, many folks here are happy just to send you the part!  It’s the bank of good turns.  People have sent me parts, asking nothing in return, so I’ve repaid the favor by doing the same for the next guy!

43 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

If you post that you need a specific part to move a build along, many folks here are happy just to send you the part!  It’s the bank of good turns.  People have sent me parts, asking nothing in return, so I’ve repaid the favor by doing the same for the next guy!

I've done the same, I've had people send me stuff and I've sent people stuff like said "pay it forward". I've also just paid shipping for someone to send me something as well as bought things from people also that wanted something for them.

I would say your best bet would be post what your looking for and talk to anyone that has what you need though PM to make a deal.

Don't overthink it. If it is sufficiently valuable that $ needs to change hands, do it via PM if you feel comfortable with the deal. If it goes sour, don't bring it to the board. Like others here, if it is just a part that I don't need, I just send it out no charge, and others have done the same for me on this board and the "other".

Personally, I don't do much kit trading. Postage is so high that it isn't worth it to me. Almost all of my "rare and valuable" stuff has been rehomed on eBay and it isn't worth it to me to spend $15 to ship my trade to the other side of the country to get a $25 kit in return. I did have a fun trade with a member in Oregon a few months ago and got stuff in return that will be fun to build.

Edited by Rodent

I am a certified "kit basher," and have accumulated a number of parts kits over the years where various pieces have been pirated. I suspect you'll find a few members with a decent stash of parts here on the forum. 

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/forum/24-wanted/

^^ a post in this section may yield what you are after- for free, for trade, anybody's guess.

I'll be the first to acknowledge the generosity of this board's membership as I've been the beneficiary of it a couple times in the past.  I've also seen you guys reach out to help untold numbers of other builders with parts and other essentials at no cost to them.

While that is admirable, I'd just like to "legally" ask another member if they'd consider a cash offer, and if so, what they'd consider a fair offer for parts and shipping.  In this scenario, I would offer payment first to grease the skids and alleviate any doubt as to my reliability.  

As for the PIF concept, it's a remarkable idea...if you have a stash of parts, which I don't.    

Try posting your wants, explain your parts box situation and always be willing to offer to pay shipping at the bare minimum. Or offer other resources instead (tools, magazines, decals, etc.).

Folks here are very kind and supportive for fellow builders. Usually, it's not about the money. 

Someday, you might have something that another builder needs and you can help them out.