Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nice, I'm curious to see it being painted
Do you do it exactly in the color in the photo you are inspired by?
You did a great job of scratchbuildibg on the small parts??, the only 
thing I have doubts about is moving the tanks under the skirts ... 
in theory under the skirts there is often the battery pack, if you move 
them you I would still recommend leaving the part of the tank with the 
cap in one place unless you want to pierce the side skirts (these are t
he advice of a fixed model maker, then the important thing is that 
you like the truck and you have fun?? )

Enrico, it will be black chassis with a white cab and a little stripe along the side, pretty much as the truck in the photo though a little longer chassis. 

On the fuel tanks and battery boxes, I thought e  exactly the same and was going to omit one tank, or shorten one etc... and then I realised there's no battery boxes there on the kit and I could go to all that work for something that will never be seen. So, I'm going to move the tanks and imagine they're shortened because it's a day cab on short runs so it doesn't need two 200 gallon tanks. 

It's the overall effect I'm going for with this, so that it looks ok on the shelf. 

Added detail to the exposed chassis. Using plastic card I made some fillets for the crossmembers. Using square plastic rod I fabricated the crossmember for the rear cab mounting and a smaller one for the pogo stick just in front of the tread plate. With the majority of the work done it's time for a quick mock up and looks ok. 

I know when I prime the cab the joint of the new rear wall will stand out like a sore thumb no matter how much I have rubbed and filled, so I'm braced for that. Anyway, they reckon filler works better over primer. 

IMG_20200813_161748423.jpg

IMG_20200813_161751982.jpg

IMG_20200813_224916831.jpg

Just scored this off Ebay for £10! Checked and all is there except the decals [which I'd never have used anyway]. Three appeared on the same day, one for £25 another for £35 and this for £9.99. Nobody bid for about six days so with 2 minutes remaining I added a penny and it's mine!

IMG_20200818_102059764.jpg

IMG_20200818_102120122.jpg

The model is more and more captivating?, it seems almost custom,
 nice purchase the semi I really hope you will hook it to this tractor, 
this WIP is the demonstration that even with a simple basic model you
 can do something of great effect, go ahead and don't stop that I'm more
 and more curious??
PS Do you do the trailer in the same color as the tractor? ?

On 8/17/2020 at 7:38 AM, Rockford said:

Stripped the chrome off the wheels using bleach because these are going to be unpolished aluminium.  

I don't know whether I'm using the wrong product but although the chrome disappears it always leaves behind a clear lacquer on the parts so that they still need sanding to get back to actual plastic. 

Get yourself some Oven Pride,  it's available from most supermarkets,  although I've found it cheaper at B&M, stripes the chrome and the lacquer underneath, I've also used it for stripping paint off as well, just make sure you use rubber gloves, it's not good on skin.....

PSX_20200821_120643.jpg

On 8/7/2020 at 8:55 AM, Rockford said:

One of the benefits of the 1/32 kits is the size, I don't have the room for 1/25 kits, they're just too big, though didn't stop me buying one again recently. [Recently in modellers terms is within the last 15 years]

Back in the mid 90's I went all out building trucks in 1:24th scale and a few in 1:25th, in the end I just ran out of room to display them, these days I stick to cars in that scale, although I do have a few of Revell's London Routemaster buses to build, this is the only built truck i have left,which actually won model of the month in Truck Model World magazine. 

FB_IMG_1594296154522.jpg

Edited by GeeBee

3 hours ago, Rockford said:

Added detail to the exposed chassis. Using plastic card I made some fillets for the crossmembers. Using square plastic rod I fabricated the crossmember for the rear cab mounting and a smaller one for the pogo stick just in front of the tread plate. With the majority of the work done it's time for a quick mock up and looks ok. 

I know when I prime the cab the joint of the new rear wall will stand out like a sore thumb no matter how much I have rubbed and filled, so I'm braced for that. Anyway, they reckon filler works better over primer. 

IMG_20200813_161748423.jpg

IMG_20200813_161751982.jpg

IMG_20200813_224916831.jpg

That's some impressive work you're doing on this, looking forward to seeing more progress on it.....

Edited by GeeBee

10 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Get yourself some Oven Pride,  it's available from most supermarkets,  although I've found it cheaper at B&M, stripes the chrome and the lacquer underneath, I've also used it for stripping paint off as well, just make sure you use rubber gloves, it's not good on skin.....

PSX_20200821_120643.jpg

Gerber

Thanks for the advice and the kind words,that's a nice Petebilt! Can I ask how long you  recommend soaking the bits and do you use it neat? I'm scared of finding melted blob!

11 hours ago, Aerodyne03 said:

The model is more and more captivating?, it seems almost custom,
 nice purchase the semi I really hope you will hook it to this tractor, 
this WIP is the demonstration that even with a simple basic model you
 can do something of great effect, go ahead and don't stop that I'm more
 and more curious??
PS Do you do the trailer in the same color as the tractor? ?

Aerodyne,  I see this tractor mating with  something like this.... though modified a little to make it more American. The box trailer will probably be plain aluminium as so many were in daily use. 

IMG_20200821_205250661.jpg

The trailer you posted was also done by the heller complete with a 
tractor, but be careful because it is a very short trailer ... I
 don't know if your modifications include that of lengthening it,
 however in America the trailers exceed 16 meters, if I if I were 
in your place I would try to opt for a nice tanker, of course it's 
just a humble advice it's you who must like the truck??

12 hours ago, Rockford said:

Thanks for the advice and the kind words,that's a nice Petebilt! Can I ask how long you  recommend soaking the bits and do you use it neat? I'm scared of finding melted blob!

Yes you use it neat, around 30 minutes should see the chrome and the lacquer underneath completely stripped, i wouldn't worry about it melting the plastic,  it won't,  just use a plastic tub to put it in, as it etches glass and completely dissolves aluminium. 

I've had a bodyshell soaking in the stuff for around a week before (Yes,I forgot about it) and the plastic was fine, although the paint had totally disappeared. 

Edited by GeeBee

Aerodyne

This is why I bought the 20ft container trailer. Remember me saying "less is more"? I love the fact that the tractor in this shot is longer than the trailer!

In Liverpool there used to be thousands of these little trailers picking up containers from the docks, but they've all gone, replaced with extendable tri-axles. I used to work on these little 20 footers, they were great going forwards because there was no cut in but backing up with them was a nightmare because they'd be round on you in no time and you would be looking at it through your side window, not your mirrors!

29-Truck-SF-3.jpg

If you like it like this, nobody forbids it, on the contrary 
in Europe usually due to length regulations the few American 
trucks that travel often have to hook up short trailers (in England 
I don't know how it works, but in Italy the trucks cannot exceed 16 
meters) it is definitely original the trucks in the picture, 
mine are tips if you like the truck you posted do not think 
twice and do it like this ... ??