Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round2 -- AMT & MPC Kits for 2021

Casey

On 6/11/2021 at 8:33 PM, niteowl7710 said:

That's two different sets of consumers. 

Exactly. Where you suppose Ollies bought theirs? Round2. And Ollies isn't exactly nationwide, so I don't think too many customers are siphoned off from the new release.

On 6/14/2021 at 12:08 PM, Dave Darby said:

Exactly. Where you suppose Ollies bought theirs? Round2. And Ollies isn't exactly nationwide, so I don't think too many customers are siphoned off from the new release.

I live in New England and there are NO Ollies near me. Even if Ollies charged $12.99, it wouldn't matter to me. I visited Atlanta a few years ago and there were a few Ollies in the area. I imagine Round2 made some changes to the new kit and wonder if buyers can say they are the same; unless you have both kits. Ollies has a lot of kits nobody really wants so they are cheap.

12 hours ago, Bob Ellis said:

I live in New England and there are NO Ollies near me. Even if Ollies charged $12.99, it wouldn't matter to me. I visited Atlanta a few years ago and there were a few Ollies in the area. I imagine Round2 made some changes to the new kit and wonder if buyers can say they are the same; unless you have both kits. Ollies has a lot of kits nobody really wants so they are cheap.

To be fair, I live within about 20 minutes of an Ollies, and I can tell you it can run both ways. Ollies gets model kits in once or twice a year, the stores don't always get the same selection, and while oftentimes the kits are those dogs nobody wanted to bring home (hence Round2 wholesaling them off) they also get a few gems too. Fall 2018 was a treasure trove, where I picked up some Model A/Mod Rods, 40 Ford Coupes, 57 and 60 Corvettes, Surf Woodies, and some other show cars, other times you'll see lesser kits like the 70 GTO, and the Daytona. This current time around I picked up a few Flashback 57 Fords I'd been wanting, and one of the two stores in my area haven't got their kits in yet, and I am hoping to pick up a 69 Chevelle convertible.  Anyway, short story long, it's feast or famine, but you can't beat the price when they do have what you want.

5 hours ago, Mr mopar said:
AMT-1201 1/25 1963 Chevy II Station Wagon w/Trailer $37.95

TBA

While I'm not complaining , I must wonder : Is this the second-and-final iteration of this kit ? Isn't a 'full-detail' version on the way ? 

I'm digging on the trailer and the accessories , but am hoping for an 'actual' engine for the car .

4 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

While I'm not complaining , I must wonder : Is this the second-and-final iteration of this kit ? Isn't a 'full-detail' version on the way ? 

I'm digging on the trailer and the accessories , but am hoping for an 'actual' engine for the car .

I'd assume by the price point this will be the full detail one in retro box art.

2 hours ago, Mark said:

NOT the same trailer as any MPC kit.  The original AMT trailer was first used in their '61 Buick Special wagon, and that was before MPC even existed.

thx for the heads up !

Edited by Mr mopar

On 6/17/2021 at 1:02 PM, 1972coronet said:

This will be the second version of the kit, I wouldn't say final or full detail to describe it.  Yes, it will have an actual engine plus a trailer and many other parts just like the original customizing kit did.  You could never compare it to a modern full detail kit with separate everything, I think expanded parts count better describes it. It's everything you liked about the first issue plus a lot more. 

-Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveG said:

This will be the second version of the kit, I wouldn't say final or full detail to describe it.  Yes, it will have an actual engine plus a trailer and many other parts just like the original customizing kit did.  You could never compare it to a modern full detail kit with separate everything, I think expanded parts count better describes it. It's everything you liked about the first issue plus a lot more. 

-Steve

Thanks much . I suppose that I'm stating "full-detail" in the loosest of terms ; should've said "includes and engine / radiator" .

The older that I get , I appreciate these 'low-part-count' kits ( the restored / reissued / newly-tooled 1964 Cutlass F85 is another great one ) .

On 6/20/2021 at 11:24 PM, CabDriver said:

Look at that Willys in the background!  Doesn’t even need ramps to unload if off the trailer! 😂

Love that funny car version - would definitely buy a kit of that on it’s own!

The funny car wagon (Boss Nova) was reissued as a Model King release maybe 15 years ago, so that one presumably still exists.  

On 6/20/2021 at 10:24 PM, CabDriver said:

Love that funny car version - would definitely buy a kit of that on it’s own!

I'm betting we'll see that combo kit as the Indy Drag Combo II in a few years. The AWB Chevy II kit was reissued by AMT/Ertl and RC2, so it shouldn't require too much work to put into production.

30 minutes ago, Casey said:

The AWB Chevy II kit was reissued by AMT/Ertl and RC2, so it shouldn't require too much work to put into production.

A fun old kit , if not a bit long-in-the-tooth . It'd be nice if Round2 were to jazz it up some : New slicks (sure , keep the styrene wrinkle-walls , too ) ; coloured glass option ; a grip of decals ; and some minor tooling repairs ( the example I have --from c.2005-- has sink marques on the quarter panels *right* where the emblems reside ) .

I wonder if they're restoring any of the lost custom parts in the Bonneville? I see the rear seat cover called out on the pic, that hasn't been in the kit since at least before the "countdown series" reissue in the '70s.

The rear seat cover was in the Prestige Series issue in the Eighties.  The earlier Countdown series issue included only one custom version, not two as in the annual and first (late Sixties) reissue.

The Catalina 2+2 issue deleted all of the custom parts.  There was a Buyers' Choice issue Bonneville after that, but I'm not sure what is in that one.