Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round2 -- AMT & MPC Kits for 2021

Casey

5 minutes ago, Mark said:

The rear seat cover was in the Prestige Series issue in the Eighties.  The earlier Countdown series issue included only one custom version, not two as in the annual and first (late Sixties) reissue.

The Catalina 2+2 issue deleted all of the custom parts.  There was a Buyers' Choice issue Bonneville after that, but I'm not sure what is in that one.

I didn't have the prestige issue. Couldn't justify buying it at the higher price when I already had a couple of the countdown cars. 

But, yes, what I'd be more interested in would be the second set of custom parts. 

12 hours ago, keyser said:

Didn’t the Scout 2 start as original farm toy ertl kit pre amt?

The box art is definitely ERTL style . I remember seeing that box art kits at Sears when the kits were new . 

I can't attest to what the actual contents are , however .  I'm going to grab one this time around .

i just bought an old amt scout 2 kit from ebay a couple of weeks ago. i got it for less than a new kit, so i dont feel bad. i dont understand why they would mold something in yellow though. i hope they also release a version molded in white. 

13 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Another month my credit card is safe. 

Same here, except for maybe the Hot Wheels Camaro. Thats kinda cool.

Truck and spaceship builders must be in seventh heaven the past few months. 

And I am just not getting Round2. I am sure they know much better than I do. But I would think there are sooo many kits from the 70s and 80s (annuals, funny cars, street rods, etc) that builders are nostalgic about. Still waiting for a mid 70s or 80-81 Camaro. 

22 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

The box art is definitely ERTL style . I remember seeing that box art kits at Sears when the kits were new . 

I can't attest to what the actual contents are , however .  I'm going to grab one this time around .

Definitely reminiscent of this ERTL box.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/ertl-8023-scout-ii--587907

16 hours ago, keyser said:

Didn’t the Scout 2 start as original farm toy ertl kit pre amt?

Yes, it did.  I had that kit in an Ertl box in '79 or '80. Long before AMT had anything to do with Ertl. Same as the box shown, just had "Ertl" on it instead of "AMT".

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hawk312 said:

And I am just not getting Round2. I am sure they know much better than I do. But I would think there are sooo many kits from the 70s and 80s (annuals, funny cars, street rods, etc) that builders are nostalgic about. Still waiting for a mid 70s or 80-81 Camaro. 

From what I understand , those Star Trek kits are a solid sales-base --a majority-- of their products . Trek fans will spend tonnes of money on good Trek collectables . 

That's great for we vehicle folks , as the profits help fund vehicle kits' restoration / newly-tooled components ( 1963 Nova Wagon and 1964 F-85 / Cutlass Convertible come to mind ) and upgrades (expanded decal sheets , etc. ) .

I'm awaiting the reissue of the Marlboro Man . I could use some Marlboro decals , 1/25 scale cartons and packs , as well as ol' smoky himself for a diorama .

21 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

From what I understand , those Star Trek kits are a solid sales-base --a majority-- of their products . Trek fans will spend tonnes of money on good Trek collectables . 

Msrp or close. You don’t see much Star Wars or Star Trek at close out either. 

On 7/2/2021 at 10:16 PM, Snake45 said:

Another month my credit card is safe. 

I agree Snake... another blah, blah, blah month of reissues.

Gee I hope Round 2 will produce some new subjects from existing tools, they have so many kit tools that can potentially be used as a basis for some new modified re-issued kits. Like using the tooling from the 57 Chrysler 300 for a Chrysler New York or Desoto Adventurer, or the 58 Edsel into a 58 Ford Fairlane or here is an easy one, a 62 TBird hardtop. Just a few to say the least. Their product planning needs to take advantage of the beautiful tooling from the late 90's early 2000's.

Hopefully, they will have the molds to bring out kits we haven't seen for a while, like the 68 Coronet just as they did with the 63 Nova wagon and 64 Cutlass. I may be asking for too much though.

Edited by BobbyG

23 hours ago, keyser said:

Msrp or close. You don’t see much Star Wars or Star Trek at close out either. 

Also stated above;

"Star Trek kits are a solid sales-base --a majority-- of their products . Trek fans will spend tonnes of money on good Trek collectables"

I built sci-fi kits as well as cars and am involved in a number of groups and forums for that. One thing I don't see is the griping and complaining about price such as  I've encountered on model car forums. Quality and build issues are the biggest concerns, but that's endemic of any modeling subjects and their enthusiast groups. Nor do I see much of any attitude where as if a person is not interested in a particular model or subject that they feel the need to put down someone who might be by stating a subject(s) are a "waste of plastic"  etc... Remember those Star Trek, Star Wars and items directed towards product collectors (Coke) or anything else that might not trip your trigger help pay for recreating things like Nova wagons and Cutlass kits. Just an observation.

Edited by Phirewriter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

Also stated above;

"Star Trek kits are a solid sales-base --a majority-- of their products . Trek fans will spend tonnes of money on good Trek collectables"

I built sci-fi kits as well as cars and am involved in a number of groups and forums for that. One thing I don't see is the griping and complaining about price such as  I've encountered on model car forums. Quality and build issues are the biggest concerns, but that's endemic of any modeling subjects and their enthusiast groups. Nor do I see much of any attitude where as if a person is not interested in a particular model or subject that they feel the need to put down someone who might be by stating a subject(s) are a "waste of plastic"  etc... Remember those Star Trek, Star Wars and items directed towards product collectors (Coke) or anything else that might not trip your trigger help pay for recreating things like Nova wagons and Cutlass kits. Just an observation.

Can I get a "Harrumph" for this man? !! 👍

On 7/4/2021 at 11:01 AM, BobbyG said:

I agree Snake... another blah, blah, blah month of reissues.

Gee I hope Round 2 will produce some new subjects from existing tools, they have so many kit tools that can potentially be used as a basis for some new modified re-issued kits. Like using the tooling from the 57 Chrysler 300 for a Chrysler New York or Desoto Adventurer, or the 58 Edsel into a 58 Ford Fairlane or here is an easy one, a 62 TBird hardtop. Just a few to say the least. Their product planning needs to take advantage of the beautiful tooling from the late 90's early 2000's.

Hopefully, they will have the molds to bring out kits we haven't seen for a while, like the 68 Coronet just as they did with the 63 Nova wagon and 64 Cutlass. I may be asking for too much though.

In reference to your last sentence;  I think sooner or later we will see the 68 Coronet come out again. Like the 64 Cutlass and 63 Nova wagon were the molds/tooling was either refurbished or reingineered for those to come out,  I beleive the same thing can be done and will be done for the Coronet to be back.  Are you asking too much?  I seriously doubt it.  Round 2 sees the success Cutlass and Nova wagons and will probably follow suite with other oldies that we have not seen in decades.  

• Like 1