Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round2 -- AMT & MPC Kits for 2021

Casey

1 minute ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Nice!

Got an original MPC '67 Toro, it'll be interesting to compare...

Yeah, would be.  I've never had an MPC Toro, but have the Johan (with a couple of them in AMT boxes) ones...wonder how the MPC tooling differed from Johan.

• Like 1

The MPC Toronado chassis and engine look a lot like the Jo-Han pieces, except MPC's inner front fenders are all one piece while Jo-Han's are separate.  MPC used a plain old wire axle in front while Jo-Han used a two-piece plastic axle setup with CV joint detail.  The two halves of the axle overlapped inside the front differential, someone at Jo-Han did some brain work on that kit.  I've got all of the stock Toronado kits (MPC and Jo-Han) but never tried parts from one on the other, but I'd bet they fit with little work.

5 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Yeah, would be.  I've never had an MPC Toro, but have the Johan (with a couple of them in AMT boxes) ones...wonder how the MPC tooling differed from Johan.

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Hmmmmm. I've got a couple of AMT/JoHan Toros with missing drivetrain parts. I wonder if the chassis from this would slide right under those. :unsure:

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/mpc-instructions/show-rods/mpc-the-californian-/calif-inst-2.html#media

Kinda nuts about those first-gen Toronados, so I got an AMT '68 and the JoHan '66 it sprang from, too.  Not to mention the '67 Eldorado that shared basic running gear.

Can go more in-depth later if you like, but I can tell you right off that the under-hood breakdown is the most distinct variation between JoHan/AMT and MPC: the MPC kit encompasses firewall, fender aprons, and core support into one integrated piece you glue in from under the body shell.  All those components are separate and more detailed for JoHan/AMT.

**EDIT - or, exactly what Mark B said above.  One of these days I'll catch it all BEFORE I post.

Got a wee bit of asymmetry in the MPC body shell, but I ain't fer sure that was production or something I induced by boiling out a warp.  JoHan/AMTs are just crisper and more detailed overall, but the MPC still isn't bad for its day.  MPC has asymmetrical custom fascia options front and rear, while the JoHan '66 custom bits are more conventional.  Fwiw, I think the chassis/drivetrain elements are nearly identical in any JoHan Eldorado, if you need to "fill out" one of their Toronados.

My impressions are the MPC and JoHan/AMT kit dimensions are very close if not identical, and since the engine bay elements and chassis plates are separate in both, it shouldn't be a huge p i t a to mix and match between the two. 

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis
  • Like 1

The '67 Barracuda was AMT, as was the '67 Chevy pickup kit.  For some never explained reason, both went to MPC for '68.

The AMT-boxed MPC kits ('65 Coronet, Wild Dream/King T, Dream Rod, etc) had MPC tires, decals, and even box and instruction sheet artwork (except for AMT branding).  The two '67 kits had AMT tires, box art, and decal sheets which would separate them from the 1965 offerings.  The 1968 versions of both had all MPC parts and decal sheets.

1 minute ago, Mark said:

The '67 Barracuda was AMT, as was the '67 Chevy pickup kit.  For some never explained reason, both went to MPC for '68.

The AMT-boxed MPC kits ('65 Coronet, Wild Dream/King T, Dream Rod, etc) had MPC tires, decals, and even box and instruction sheet artwork (except for AMT branding).  The two '67 kits had AMT tires, box art, and decal sheets which would separate them from the 1965 offerings.  The 1968 versions of both had all MPC parts and decal sheets.

Always thought it was odd the '65 Coronet was never released in an MPC box...just the one AMT release, I believe. 

MPC released the Coronet (body) on a slot car.  The chassis and engine got recycled into the '66 Charger right away, leaving MPC no opportunity to do anything else with the Coronet.  It's a shame they didn't set that body aside, they could have pulled it out later for a reissue.  Then again, they'd probably have hacked it up into a dirt track car or something.

2 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

The Californian is a pretty dreadful looking custom IMO, no wonder it was never reissued in the past...

I agree ! That thing is an em-Barris-ment ! WoOf !  I wonder if the kit comes with a tub of Bondo for that authentic feel ? 

Maybe this release is -- aside from a minor investment insofar as production -- a "one last run of fun" ? Perhaps if it sells well enough , a newly-tooled STOCK Toronado will follow ? 

3 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Maybe by digging through parts boxes of AMT custom parts I could find more appealing front and rear treatments…

Interesting idea! I'd start with the '66 Wildcat and '65 Bonneville and Grand Prix parts. Maybe the '69 Riviera, too. 

Hey, it's not like anything you could do to it would make it any worseB):lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I agree ! That thing is an em-Barris-ment ! WoOf !

Actually, it was Harry Bradley's brainchild, so I guess it would be an em"Bradley"ment. Ahem, sorry.

15 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Hey, it's not like anything you could do to it would make it any worseB):lol:

Oh yes they did!

products-1.jpg.0bc7097c8e32795ee904707379553757.jpg

A fuselage luxo-custom with the roof hacked off. What a bathtub!

Sometimes I wonder WTH Barris was smoking?

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Actually, it was Harry Bradley's brainchild, so I guess it would be an em"Bradley"ment. Ahem, sorry.

Haha . I know that it was a Harry Bradley special -- but it makes me wonder if he mistakenly signed Barris' design work ? Hahahaha ! 

8 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Kinda nuts about those first-gen Toronados, so I got an AMT '68 and the JoHan '66 it sprang from, too.  Not to mention the '67 Eldorado that shared basic running gear.

Can go more in-depth later if you like, but I can tell you right off that the under-hood breakdown is the most distinct variation between JoHan/AMT and MPC: the MPC kit encompasses firewall, fender aprons, and core support into one integrated piece you glue in from under the body shell.  All those components are separate and more detailed for JoHan/AMT.

**EDIT - or, exactly what Mark B said above.  One of these days I'll catch it all BEFORE I post.

Got a wee bit of asymmetry in the MPC body shell, but I ain't fer sure that was production or something I induced by boiling out a warp.  JoHan/AMTs are just crisper and more detailed overall, but the MPC still isn't bad for its day.  MPC has asymmetrical custom fascia options front and rear, while the JoHan '66 custom bits are more conventional.  Fwiw, I think the chassis/drivetrain elements are nearly identical in any JoHan Eldorado, if you need to "fill out" one of their Toronados.

My impressions are the MPC and JoHan/AMT kit dimensions are very close if not identical, and since the engine bay elements and chassis plates are separate in both, it shouldn't be a huge p i t a to mix and match between the two. 

Kinda wonder if the Toronado/Californian tool has some gates welded off, if yes, could be a parts goldmine when put into production unblocked.

Anyone in the know?

Edited by Luc Janssens

7 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Kinda wonder if the Toronado/Californian tool has some gates welded off, if yes, could be a parts goldmine when put into production unblocked.

Anyone in the know?

Other than the body and trim parts it's pretty much a stock Toronado underneath.   The dash was slightly modified but passes for stock.  If there were any gates to be unblocked it would be on the plated tree,  but I wouldn't expect to see any stock bumpers included with this kit.   

-Steve

That Californian will be interesting.  You won't be able to make it look like any design study that GM ever did, the body side alterations don't seem to match up with their work from that period.  But lose the spoilers and scoops, and replace that grille with something flatter to match up with the cut line at the front of the hood, and you'd be off to a good start in cleaning up the design.