Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round2 -- AMT & MPC Kits for 2021

Casey

7 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Wow!  Learn something every day.. it keeps you alive and moving!

I never knew that the GM Motorhome  aka Hess Van was a  front wheel drive Toro!   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_motorhome
https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/gmc-motorhome-is-fwd-wonder/
That sure was an innovative vehicle. Nice to see few of them still on the roads (I saw one few weeks ago).

9 hours ago, peteski said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_motorhome
https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/gmc-motorhome-is-fwd-wonder/
That sure was an innovative vehicle. Nice to see few of them still on the roads (I saw one few weeks ago).

Thanks for the helpful links, everybody.  The real GMC Motorhome still has a big fan base on the internet, with owners swapping ideas for parts sources, modifications and such.  

Here's a 2018 thread, showing Tom Ellifritt's incredible conversion of the Hess Training Van into a stock GMC Motorhome.  Detailed right down to the roll of paper towels!

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/132321-post-your-rvs-here/

Just re-reading this thread. I noticed that the '33 Willys panel is coming out again with yet another set of markings. They are hitting that tooling very hard now. Third Decal Variant this time. I hope it sells well.

Also saw the '34 Ford Pickup in Sunoco Markings! That should do well. Maybe (just maybe) the flat bed/stake bed will be back in the kit, since it seem to be a Service Station focused kit. Also, maybe the Dual Rear Wheels will be seen. I will be pleased to see what they have chosen to do with the kit.

Lastly a suggestion for Round2. Add one or two trees from the recent Tip Top Shop or other Tool/Shop kits as a bonus to any release of some future kits. Especially Re-pops of the "Trophy Series Kits' or kits with many engine options.  A Mod Stocker with the Hoist kit would make a cool pairing as well.  Instant Diorama, which seems to be a growing theme amongst Military Modelers now, especially in 1/35 scale. Get some more use out of that Shop tooling while it is still fresh.

3 hours ago, alexis said:

Maybe (just maybe) the flat bed/stake bed will be back in the kit, since it seem to be a Service Station focused kit.

I found this on Jim Amado's web site:

"Several...'34 Ford pickup kits included a stake bed option. Interestingly, Ford did not offer this option until 1936 when disc wheels, stronger than the earlier wire wheels, became standard. However, the parts included in the '34 pickup kits reasonably represent the 6 1/2 foot stake bed option offered from Ford from 1936 up through 1956! Thus, conversion possibilities exist for the Monogram '50, AMT '53, and Revell '56 Ford Pickup kits. Obviously the stake bed could be used on other makes as well."

https://uptown-automotive.com/Things you should know.htm

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, slusher said:

Some really cool and classic kits on this video. I am sure many are pleased to see the 65 Pontiac reappear.

No mention was made of a new body to replace the incorrect window and roof opening on the driver's side ever since it first came out, so that's disappointing.  I understand the Catalina 2+2 was an even worse kit.  I wonder how difficult it would be to do a convertible version? 

The 427 Fairlane should be nice, and so will the 442. The packer is something to look forward to.     

For those who might not know...the '66 Fairlane 427 has a bench seat.  That gets us a small step closer to building Friday and Gannon's 4-door '67 Fairlane from "Dragnet 1967."  😉

Here's a thread about the '66 Fairlane GT/GTA, which had bucket seats.  It was re-released in 2018:

5 hours ago, Mike999 said:

For those who might not know...the '66 Fairlane 427 has a bench seat.  That gets us a small step closer to building Friday and Gannon's 4-door '67 Fairlane from "Dragnet 1967."  😉

Here's a thread about the '66 Fairlane GT/GTA, which had bucket seats.  It was re-released in 2018:

Personally and ever since I saw it shown in the Randy Leffingwell book, "American Muscle", which was about the then Otis Chandler Muscle Car Collection, I like the '67 better, it's pure esthetical the chrome side trim etc....an upscale street racer...

Photo courtesy of Mecum auctions.

Mecum Auctions | The World's Largest Collector Car Auctions

fl0116-230158_12@2x.jpg?1449955143000

Edited by Luc Janssens

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2021 at 7:29 PM, Motor City said:

No mention was made of a new body to replace the incorrect window and roof opening on the driver's side ever since it first came out, so that's disappointing.  I understand the Catalina 2+2 was an even worse kit.  I wonder how difficult it would be to do a convertible version? 

The 427 Fairlane should be nice, and so will the 442. The packer is something to look forward to.     

I’ll take the original body with the incorrect driver’s side window opening since people are still willing to pay $300+ for an original promo with those same major flaws.  What I’d like for them to do is find the old engine plate for it so they could do a “Craftsman” style kit.  The convertible shouldn’t be that hard since they did offer one back in the day.  That is, if they can find the tooling insert for it.  I think the bodies were the same tool except for the missing roof section on the convertible.  

Maybe “Mark” on here would know for sure…

Edited by the other Mike S.