Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round2 -- AMT & MPC Kits for 2021

Casey

AMT682/12 1962 Ford Thunderbird BACK FOR A LIMITED TIME! Jul-21

Wonder what the changes are with that one, if any?  Not too long ago, the last version was available at Ollie's for $7.99.  That's the one with the standard, non-Sports Roadster engine parts etc.  

Here's a good article on "what went wrong" with the Sports Roadster.  Elvis Presley's wire wheels collapsing, for one thing...

1962-1963 Ford Thunderbird Sports Roadster: What Went Wrong? (automotivemileposts.com)

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

Wonder what the changes are with that one, if any?  Not too long ago, the last version was available at Ollie's for $7.99.  That's the one with the standard, non-Sports Roadster engine parts etc.  

Here's a good article on "what went wrong" with the Sports Roadster.  Elvis Presley's wire wheels collapsing, for one thing...

1962-1963 Ford Thunderbird Sports Roadster: What Went Wrong? (automotivemileposts.com)

Late last year we all came to the conclusion that Round2 is doing some sort of limited run thing in conjunction with Ollie's based on the manufacturing runs for the release of a kit vs. the ones that Ollie's is getting.  So a kit being there doesn't necessarily mean it's a wholesaling issue anymore.  I'd expect it's just a limited quantity reissue of the last run of the kit, which unless I'm missing a reissue was last run in 2011 prior to showing up at Ollie's last year...At least that's the year my kit's run date shows.

4 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Great article.....well worth reading.

19 minutes ago, Bob Ellis said:

It became the FIREBUG in the 1970s. Tool was modified.

And like the Nova wagon, OLDS and a huge number of kits Model King restored with RC2 & R2 it can be done if DEMAND was there. 

You did note I posted Firebug box......so yes, I did know what happened to ZZR. Thx

18 hours ago, Dave Van said:

And like the Nova wagon, OLDS and a huge number of kits Model King restored with RC2 & R2 it can be done if DEMAND was there. 

You did note I posted Firebug box......so yes, I did know what happened to ZZR. Thx

While the tool could be restored, neither the movie or model were a roaring success in 1967. I question whether enough interest is there for Round2 to make a go of it.

9 minutes ago, Bob Ellis said:

While the tool could be restored, neither the movie or model were a roaring success in 1967. I question whether enough interest is there for Round2 to make a go of it.

Agreed........but things are happening I'd bet the farm on!!!

Truthfully, it looks like a lot of the AMT kits from that time. Simplified, with detail only in the places that you would see. Typical for a Barris Kit aimed at 10-14 year old boys.

For all that, though, a neat kit anyway. I'd think that the Barris/Nostalgia market would justify  correcting the tool and running them again.

39 minutes ago, alexis said:

Truthfully, it looks like a lot of the AMT kits from that time. Simplified, with detail only in the places that you would see. Typical for a Barris Kit aimed at 10-14 year old boys.

For all that, though, a neat kit anyway. I'd think that the Barris/Nostalgia market would justify  correcting the tool and running them again.

Can you move 15k units? That's probably the required number to keep costs inline while retooling it back to original.

James, I don't see how to do that. Maybe 5K of the Firebug, could pay for restoring the tool back. A "One and Done" run of Firebugs would help. I still have an original FireBug decal sheet, if it would help! 

20 hours ago, alexis said:

Simplified, with detail only in the places that you would see. Typical for a Barris Kit aimed at 10-14 year old boys.

Ha! That describes Barrister customs!  Fireball 500 for example, only customized what would be seen on camera.

Car was completely stock 273 Barracuda under the hood. Same thing with interior!  

i wish they would reissue the the 71 charger as the last issuing wich was dirty donny  kit is not cheap or easy to find  and  would love them to reissue the  73/74 charger that was last issued as super charger dodge muscle car kit 
and i wish lindberg would reissue the 72 challenger kit  and polar lights reissue the 04 gto kit 

Edited by michelle

7 hours ago, michelle said:

i wish they would reissue the the 71 charger as the last issuing wich was dirty donny  kit is not cheap or easy to find  and  would love them to reissue the  73/74 charger that was last issued as super charger dodge muscle car kit 
and i wish lindberg would reissue the 72 challenger kit  and polar lights reissue the 04 gto kit 

IIRC the '74 Charger is kinda rough around the edges, MPC back then did a rush job converting it from a oval track racer to a street machine, but with some TLC it can be done.

The Polar lights '04 GTO will need some massaging in the headlamp department, non prepainted with headlight buckets, but doubt if there's ROI, unless maybe Round-2 tools up some extra parts so they can release it as a Holden/Vauxhall Monaro, but then again is the Australian/UK market big enough to support that investment. 

Vauxhall Monaro VXR500 | CarAdvice

Edited by Luc Janssens

2 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

IIRC the '74 Charger is kinda rough around the edges, MPC back then did a rush job converting it from a oval track racer to a street machine, but with some TLC it can be done.

The Polar lights '04 GTO will need some massaging in the headlamp department, non prepainted with headlight buckets, but doubt if there's ROI, unless maybe Round-2 tools up some extra parts so they can release it as a Holden/Vauxhall Monaro, but then again is the Australian/UK market big enough to support that investment. 

Vauxhall Monaro VXR500 | CarAdvice

the 74 charger kit  i was talking about is 1/25th and was essentialy a  mpc 1981 reboxing of the the mpc 74 charger customizing kit from 1974  minus some of the customizing parts 
and for the gto kit it they could just rerealese the amt/ertl kit  as the polar light kit was a snap kit so it was ment to be simple  and they have reissued the polar lights 65 coronet 500 pre decorated snap kit  as a non pre decorated amt snap it kit 

Edited by michelle

10 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I did a rescue on a builtup of that '74 Charger a couple years ago. Not the best model I've ever seen but it didn't turn out too bad. Might be nice to have it back. 

74Charger11.jpg.047a90796f3357a8ecfd7c21ce0430e4.jpg

74Charger18.jpg.631183168ed85ab89a19c70299c86eab.jpg

i am trying to  restore a badly  beat up one  that had the trunk lid  removed  and the  dash is missing and the tail lights  the grille was broken in two and the  bumperettes were either cut or broken away the rear susport piece the hood would sit on is gone   i want to turn it into a 73 charger  rallye

33 minutes ago, michelle said:

i am trying to  restore a badly  beat up one  that had the trunk lid  removed  and the  dash is missing and the tail lights  the grille was broken in two and the  bumperettes were either cut or broken away the rear susport piece the hood would sit on is gone   i want to turn it into a 73 charger  rallye

Sounds like you'd be better off watching eBay for a reasonably priced restorable glue bomb. 

1 minute ago, Snake45 said:

Sounds like you'd be better off watching eBay for a reasonably priced restorable glue bomb. 

i plan to use the trunk lid  and  rear engine bay support  brace  that the rear part of the hood would sit on   from  a broken amt 71 charger body that was missing the roof and windshield  pillars i can glue the grill back together and either find some new bumperette from another   mopar  chrome part or scratch make new ones  myself 
the tail lights  i going to see if vaughn hart of hartspartsresin can cast  a new set for me  and maybe a new front grille with bumperettes also 

5 hours ago, michelle said:

i plan to use the trunk lid  and  rear engine bay support  brace  that the rear part of the hood would sit on   from  a broken amt 71 charger body that was missing the roof and windshield  pillars i can glue the grill back together and either find some new bumperette from another   mopar  chrome part or scratch make new ones  myself 
the tail lights  i going to see if vaughn hart of hartspartsresin can cast  a new set for me  and maybe a new front grille with bumperettes also 

T.J. Built one using a 71 chassis bu sometime it’s best ti start with a new kit.  I have no idea what the Super Chargers are going  for now..

10 hours ago, michelle said:

It sounds to me like you have an MPC annual. One of the options was a "station wagon" which required removing the trunk lid and interior package shelf. They provided a station wagon roof and interior bed for it.  

'73 and '74 annuals have the cut line on the underside of the body for the wagon option.  I'm not sure if the Super Charger has the cut line, but it does not have the wagon option.

BTW, if you trip over the wagon roof and glass in your travels, they do fit the newer '71 kit pretty well.  I had thought about trying that, but later found an already-cut '73 annual.

2 hours ago, SSNJim said:

It sounds to me like you have an MPC annual. One of the options was a "station wagon" which required removing the trunk lid and interior package shelf. They provided a station wagon roof and interior bed for it.  

the interior pan had its package shelf still  and the underside to all the body parts ,body,hood,rear valence and the underside of the interior pan  and the parts of the chassie that would be covered by the interior pan and body of the car was all molded in red plastic same  as the supercharger  81 reissue was 

1 hour ago, Mark said:

'73 and '74 annuals have the cut line on the underside of the body for the wagon option.  I'm not sure if the Super Charger has the cut line, but it does not have the wagon option.

BTW, if you trip over the wagon roof and glass in your travels, they do fit the newer '71 kit pretty well.  I had thought about trying that, but later found an already-cut '73 annual.

i wish i could find alot of those customizing parts for the 68-74 chargers  like the grilles and hoods and bumpers and custom roof parts so i could use them on the modern issue charger kits from both round 2 and revell 

Edited by michelle