Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '65 Impala box art custom built with Revell kit

Can-Con

I dug mine out and took it apart yesterday. Wow, roughest screw removal I've ever experienced. 

I need another started project right now about like I need another hole in my head, but I was having a fit of industry. 

Mine's in worse shape than I thought. Gonna take a lot of work. Luckily, I'm pretty sure I have everything I need to do it. 

My clear hood has a sink mark in one corner, so I'm not gonna worry about keeping it clear. 

Go Snake Go !! 

I'm just giving the bodywork on mine the final go-over before I start putting color on it. 

Got the Revell chassis to play nice with the AMT front clip. Took some grinding on the front inner fenders and at the back to clear the rear pan but it's good to go.

23 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Got the Revell chassis to play nice with the AMT front clip. Took some grinding on the front inner fenders and at the back to clear the rear pan but it's good to go.

The chassis and engine on mine are complete. I'm going to be using that all (after painting it), including the cool original "Terra-Thrust" wheels. 

My interior is missing a couple of the custom pads, but if I don't have another set, I can scratchbuild those. Otherwise it's all there. 

This custom is looking great. I remember when this kit came out. I had to wait months after my dad got his real '65 Impala. The Palmer was out first, Fall of 1964 (ugh!) and the AMT convertible arrived sometime in the Spring of 1965. AMT was worth the wait. But it didn't go together as smoothly as the AMT 1964 Impala kit. When AMT dropped the screw chassis front an rear, the construction was not as blast proof as before (1958-1964).

First order of bidness on mine will be fixing the edges on the front end and the front doors. The tube glue had "rat-eaten" these edges and there's no good way to fix them, they'll have to be rebuilt completely (pic back on Page 1). I've put a layer of "fauxberglass" (newsprint impregnated with superglue) on all four back surfaces to stick out and act as a reinforcing shelf; when the fauxberglass is cured, I'll lay a bead of Loctite Super Glue Gel (ask for it by name) along all four edges and then work those beads down to form the new, clean door and fender edges. 

Have also started seeing if I can make that clear top fit a little better. 

As of right now, I'm looking at a simpler paint job than the Winfield Fade I originally had in mind. Thinking of Krylon Sparkle Green, a "bass boat metalflake," or perhaps a two-tone with that and Testor White Lightning (white pearl). We'll see what happens. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
1 minute ago, Snake45 said:

Fabulous! 

I haven't touched mine since last time we spoke. You're WAY ahead of me. Don't even know when I'll get back on it. :unsure:

Drive on! B)

No worries Snake. It's not a competition, just having fun. 😉

HI!

Interesting projects. Your "butterscotch" fade paint is great, bravo!

When I look at the front fender bulge from the side, I see a family ressemblance with the second generation Corvair. Even more so with the custom nose job "cap" that AMT provided back then for "advanced customizing". All those GM designers working in large open studios favored a cross-polination of ideas, I guess...

Keep on!

CT 

Can't wait to see it done.!!! i really like the custom back end that really went along with the front the color you picked is spot on very nice this could pass for a 60's auto show concept car that would have been shown at the 65 auto show.!!

15 hours ago, Can-Con said:

No worries Snake. It's not a competition, just having fun. 😉

Oh I know. I just thought it would be fun to build them in tandem, but I haven't been able to keep up, so you drive on! B)