Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '65 Impala box art custom built with Revell kit

Can-Con

On 7/20/2021 at 7:50 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

HI!

Interesting projects. Your "butterscotch" fade paint is great, bravo!

When I look at the front fender bulge from the side, I see a family ressemblance with the second generation Corvair. Even more so with the custom nose job "cap" that AMT provided back then for "advanced customizing". All those GM designers working in large open studios favored a cross-polination of ideas, I guess...

Keep on!

CT 

I agree. I once owned a 67 corvair and the front end on this reminded me of it. Except that mine was a beater.

Love that color.

• 2 months later...

Well, over the last few weeks I've made the new cowl grille and installed the windshield and rear window.

I've also started on the engine a while ago and have decided on the dress-up parts and injection from the AMT '70 Impala kit. I'll have to wait until the engine is installed before adding the injector tubes as they'll need to be cut to fit under the hood.

IMG 3110

IMG 3111

IMG 3113

IMG 3112

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I had a cool idea on how to use the custom 'AMT annual seats with the Revell interior by swapping out the stock front seats for the custom ones and cutting the centers from the back seat. sinking them down in a bit and just putting the rear custom seats in the recesses.

After working towards this for weeks, I get almost done and find it looks horrible. The custom seats look like child car seats. I hate it.

So, I'm back almost at the beginning with this and will simply use the kit interior with a complimentary paint job.

So, new plan, almost the same as in the pic but with stock white seats now.

2v2aPefU4x2A694.jpg

30 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Thought I had a cool idea on how to use the custom 'AMT annual seats with the Revell interior by swapping out the stock front seats for the custom ones and cutting the centers from the back seat. sinking them down in a bit and just putting the rear custom seats in the recesses.

After working towards this for weeks, I get almost done and find it looks horrible. The custom seats look like child car seats. I hate it.

So, I'm back almost at the beginning with this and will simply use the kit interior with a complimentary paint job.

So, new plan, almost the same as in the pic but with stock white seats now.

2v2aPefU4x2A694.jpg

Why not fill in the gap between the seat and base with epoxy putty (like clay) and  make it look upholstered? Then fill in the seat area with diamond tuck.

Just needs to have the transition filled out. It almost looks like a 60's custom job.

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Why not fill in the gap between the seat and base with epoxy putty (like clay) and  make it look upholstered? Then fill in the seat area with diamond tuck.

Just needs to have the transition filled out. It almost looks like a 60's custom job.

Not a bad idea but I'm at the point that I just want to see this car finished. I've already started painting the new interior. I think it'll look fine when it's done.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a couple pinhead spots in the paint on the roof. Just big enough to bother me so I tried to just touch them up but ended up sanding through the candy coats in a couple spots.

So I repainted the whole roof. It came out a touch darker in the center but since it's a fade, it's more  acceptable than a couple spots in the paint. Plus it gave me a chance to repair the sunken seam just above the windshield.
2v2akf8oLx2A694.jpg

2v2akf82gx2A694.jpg

I admit my first time peaking in on your build and I had to start at page 1 to really understand how you arrived here.  Kudos to you sir.  So glad I clicked on it and like many here, love your choice of paint color.   Good luck on the final assembly.   cheers, tim