Model Cars Magazine Forum

JAG XK120 Kompressor : as a ProTouring concept

Claude Thibodeau

Hi!

I was always a fan of the sleek british sports-cars. They were more "raw", devoid of all the trinkets that Detroit was sticking to its performance cars of the day. Whatever.

What if we were to give the nice Revell of Germany XK 120 a "shave", and install the blown Hemi that came as the alternate configuration in the latest reissue of the Cosmic Charger dragster? The long nose of the Jag could engulf all of it, and then some. Pegasus wheels, ultra-thin acetate "floating" windshield, and soft colors (Tamya's acrylics, custom mixed.) The chassis is scratchbuilt for the rear and center platform, and OEM in the front. Custom console and seats + shifter & hand brake lever.  Scratchbuilt flush headlights, integrating the flashers bulbs. Wired & plumbed.

Outside of my usual comfort zone, obviously.

Hours of fun with styrene!

CT

DSC00666 (2).JPG

DSC00663 (2).JPG

DSC00662 (2).JPG

DSC00659 (2).JPG

DSC00670 (2).JPG

DSC00665 (2).JPG

DSC00669 (2).JPG

DSC00655 (2).JPG

Well Claude, let's say that 2020 was not all wasted and a good year for you on the bench!

I know nothing about this nice European car but I can see your personal touch in it and the substitution by the big Hemi engine is certainly the most obvious to me!

Clean and sober build, another hit on your record my friend...

Beautifully done. Putting a Hemi, any Hemi in a Jag is really unique let alone with a front mount Super Charger. I like how you did the interior and the extra paint detailing on the seats. Somehow the color looks better than if you had used a loud bright shade. 

2 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Well Claude, let's say that 2020 was not all wasted and a good year for you on the bench!

I know nothing about this nice European car but I can see your personal touch in it and the substitution by the big Hemi engine is certainly the most obvious to me!

Clean and sober build, another hit on your record my friend...

Hi Francis!

Well, I've built about 10 cars this winter, and since I'm not much into photography (as you can tell...) I waited  'till they were all done before a shooting session. Therefore, I still have 6 or 7 to post here in the coming weeks. Not counting the 4 I'm finishing right now. 

Hours of fun with styrene (but I know you also enjoy aluminium and brass!). 

CT

2 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Sleek looking Jag! I like the raised digit number plate, it looks exactly correct for the time! How did you do that?

Hi Gareth!

Thanks for the comments.

This is actually the stock licence plate that came with the kit. When I took the picture, the flat chromed surface was actually reflecting a darker corner of the room, hence the illusion it is black. So, no magic here on my part. Sorry...

CT

2 hours ago, espo said:

Beautifully done. Putting a Hemi, any Hemi in a Jag is really unique let alone with a front mount Super Charger. I like how you did the interior and the extra paint detailing on the seats. Somehow the color looks better than if you had used a loud bright shade. 

Hi David!

Thanks for the comments. 

If you magnify the pics, you'll realize that the slightly darker accents on the pleats of the seats were done just by gently dragging the very pointy tip of a lead pencil in the grooves. It imparts a dark line at the bottom of the crease, and some softer rubbing on the sides. Easier than trying to wash them with contrasting colour, in my experience...

CT

1 hour ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Impressive. Great concept. Something I would expect to be done by Rad Rods by Troy or maybe Posies.

Definitely different.

Thank you Bob!

Wow... you put me with some fast company here. Quite a compliment! I had the honor of meeting both, and they are great individuals!

CT