Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya vs Revell car kits - quality comparison?

Since the pandemic I've started building 1/24 plastic model cars again - like I used to a zillion years ago.  The Tamiya kits I have used have been excellent.  Clear, well thought out and precisely drawn directions.  The models are well designed and obviously their professional builders then guide the creation of the printed instructions (and probably occasionally modify the car design.)  That said, I'm really bummed by the quality of the design and instructions of the Revell models.  Frustration is not the word for it.  I cannot for the life of me understand how they think people will be able to follow these unclear and ambiguous drawings in the instructions.  And how do they think these parts will fit together and hold well enough?  Have I just picked a couple of loser models, or is that a trend in the model car industry?   If this is what I should expect with Revell I won't buy another one.  What is your experience?  By the way, I'm talking about a '32 Ford Classic Cruiser 3-window model and an '86 Ford Bronco. 

Welcome, C. Cole. It's your first post so I'll reply with my limited knowledge. I suggest not comparing Tamiya with almost any other model maker. They're just that good. If Tamiya is a 10, Revell might be an 8. Depends on which car you're building too.

The Revell 32 Ford 3 window is a good kit of a relatively simple vehicle. It isn't what would be considered a new tool, but was one of Revell's better offerings of that era. While the kit can have a few issues (namely mold misalignment at the back of the roof, into the panel above the trunk lid on some issues), it builds pretty well once panel lines and mold marks have been addressed. The '86 Bronco is a simpler tool from an earlier era, and if you aren't expecting the utmost in accuracy, it should build into a convincing enough replica, at least as far as what is displayed on the box art.

Neither of these kits will be on the same level as Tamiya, but then again Tamiya has never offered these vehicles...what they have offered is generally more complicated, even if the parts fit and go together well. I have owned a few Tamiya kits over the years, but most of my tastes lean towards North American production vehicles, muscle cars and hot rods- not exactly Tamiya's wheelhouse. If you have been out of the hobby for a long time, the Revell kits should be a good way to get your skills honed, once you learn to address the basics and flaws in particular kits.

Tamiya kits are beautifully engineered with almost bulletproof fit and finish.  Tamiya USA customer service is very good as well. They were very responsive on an occasion when  I broke a part while removing it from the sprue tree.  However, there is something to be said for the Revell kits, especially when considering they do the older vintage vehicles, muscle cars etc.

I have found that once you get used to how each company organizes its instruction sheets,  they will then become easier and more intuitive to follow.

23 hours ago, High octane said:

I'm also working on an airplane model kit from Revell and the instruction sheet leaves a lot to be desired. I've never built or bought a Tamiya kit as of yet.

Don't buy a Tamiya aircraft kit unless you want to be spoiled.  The fit and engineering on Tamiya kits are unmatched with the exception of a few. The new mold Airfix are very nice as are some Academy kits.  Do your research and you'll find out which kits are the best.  Of course the Wing Nut Wings kits were probably the best but they're out of business and if you can find one it'll be' worth a small fortune.  

Hard to compare really,

Tamaya is the benchmark . Revell is also very nice.

But the 2 manufacturers have virtually nothing in common subject matter wise

Since Tamaya makes NOTHING that's of interest to me odds are I will never build anything of theirs

9 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Hard to compare really,

Tamaya is the benchmark . Revell is also very nice.

But the 2 manufacturers have virtually nothing in common subject matter wise

Since Tamaya makes NOTHING that's of interest to me odds are I will never build anything of theirs

This. 

If both make something you want, and you don't mind paying Tamiya's price, get the Tamiya. If only Revell makes it, buy the Revell kit and enjoy your build. 

I have NEVER built a model just because I wanted to work with "something" from its manufacturer, and I never will. Subject matter is supreme. 

The kits that Tamiya creates are second to none, but a word of caution.  There are a number of "Tamiya" kits out there that are just re-boxed Italeri kits.  I think they did that so they could import them into Japan for kits they didn't produce.  At any rate, I think they are mostly aircraft and armor kits.  I don't recall seeing any of the re-boxed kits of automotive subjects.