Model Cars Magazine Forum

Primer to avoid

randyc

On 8/17/2020 at 8:40 AM, randyc said:

I reprimed both cars with Rusto 2x Saturday and they came out great.   The primer anyway.   My paint is my paint.  I think it will work out in the end though.  

I came back here hoping to see things worked out for you.  I'm happy to read that you found a solution that works for you. ?

1 hour ago, Dodge Driver said:

I came back here hoping to see things worked out for you.  I'm happy to read that you found a solution that works for you. ?

Yep, thanks.   It's going to be okay.  Not a contest or show finish,. but will look okay on my shelf for my collection.   I have a thread in the WIP on the  69 SS396 car, but no body photos yet.   I'm working on the GT4 which is also working out.  There are photos of where I was Sunday on the GT4.   When all is done, I'll coat them both with the Pledge/Future stuff and should be shiny enough.   Thanks for checking in.   I have an idea about a cheap paint build too.  May try it and see how that turns out.  We'll see.  

4 hours ago, randyc said:

I'm still happy that there is diuscussion of various paints and primers going on here.   Shows that there are still plenty of options to be had.  Thanks all for your contributions.  

That's really the only reason that I became engaged in this discussion.

I just want people to be aware that there is always more than one way to skin a cat.

As with every other aspect of this hobby, there are as many techniques used for a particular task as there are hobbyists.

You should experiment for yourself and not take any suggestion as gospel.

I believe that the only avenue to becoming a skilled modeler is to develop those skills yourself.

Granted, we "all" will learn from others, but unless there is curiosity in your approach, it will be difficult to make advancements.

Steve

Just now, StevenGuthmiller said:

That's really the only reason that I became engaged in this discussion.

I just want people to be aware that there is always more than one way to skin a cat.

As with every other aspect of this hobby, there are as many techniques used for a particular task as there are hobbyists.

You should experiment for yourself and not take any suggestion as gospel.

I believe that the only avenue to becoming a skilled modeler is to develop those skills yourself.

Granted, we "all" will learn from others, but unless there is curiosity in your approach, it will be difficult to make advancements.

Steve

HA!  I thought about the "skinning cats" analogy but figured I might offend someone.  LOL.  And yep, I've learned some things, I've been chastised appropriately, and am moving on with more "skills" maybe.   Or at least more tools to consider.

On a side note, I just wanted to add that the cheap Rustoleum glass black paint that you can find in most home improvement stores, among other places, makes an excellent base for Alclad chrome paint.

It dries so absolutely glossy that your chrome will turn out beautifully!

My most recent evidence of this is this radiator cap.

image.jpeg.0a9b3cfed9b714653553351ac86cfdfb.jpeg

Steve

49 minutes ago, randyc said:

HA!  I thought about the "skinning cats" analogy but figured I might offend someone....

OMG !!!!   OMG !!!!   Skinning cats or any other kind of cruelty to animals like eating them just isn't something to be joked about !!!!    OMG !!!    I'm so OFFENDED !!!    OMG !!!   I TOLD MY MOM AND SHE AGREES !!!!      I'm literally DYING !!!     OMG !!!    OMG !!! 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry. I couldn't resist.  :D

35 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

On a side note, I just wanted to add that the cheap Rustoleum glass black paint that you can find in most home improvement stores, among other places, makes an excellent base for Alclad chrome paint.

It dries so absolutely glossy that your chrome will turn out beautifully!

My most recent evidence of this is this radiator cap.

image.jpeg.0a9b3cfed9b714653553351ac86cfdfb.jpeg

Steve

Good to know. I'll have to look for some of that.

image.png.4ab7b6fb8924e9989c4cccace2da7f2b.png

^^ is this the stuff?

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

OMG !!!!   OMG !!!!   Skinning cats or any other kind of cruelty to animals like eating them just isn't something to be joked about !!!!    OMG !!!    I'm so OFFENDED !!!    OMG !!!   I TOLD MY MOM AND SHE AGREES !!!!      I'm literally DYING !!!     OMG !!!    OMG !!! 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry. I couldn't resist.  :D

Douglas Adams had a line in a book.   “There was a sort of gallery structure in the roof space which held a bed and also a bathroom which you could actually swing a cat in. But only if it was a reasonably patient cat and didn’t mind a few nasty cracks about the head.”

I've used this quite a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread!   The mention of Alclad Chrome over Rustoleum Gloss Black jogged my memory about Alclad.

Unless I missed any other poster's mention of it in an earlier post on this thread, Alclad make grey and white primers that have to be air brushed. I have used them and found them to be an excellent product. As the company is devoted to a model makers product there should be no issues with it an any kit polystyrene plastic. Naturally it can be used on other materials like resin,, metal and wood, so it is really a good all round primer.

• 4 months later...

On 8/19/2020 at 3:05 PM, martinfan5 said:

Be careful with SEM, I use their chassis grey for all my current NASCAR builds because it accurate and it has a weird reaction to the plastic , it doesnt craze , I don't know to explain it,  so I am not sure if the primer will do the same thing.  Decanting and air brushing it seems to solve the issue if I recall.

*shooting it straight to bare plastic

The best thing you can do is use Tamiya Primer, its Tamiya Like Quality for reason, its worth the money.

I had a similar experience with this SEM primer.  Hard to describe, but it looked like the primer shrunk as it dried leaving cracks and voids.  I was able to strip it in brake fluid and the model is fine, it didn't melt the plastic.  I just shot it too heavy.  I tried again on a scrap body and it seems fine in light mist coats.  Haven't tried to sand it yet, but I've used this on a 1:1 project and it is nice primer for that purpose and sands nice (that's why I had it on the shelf).  I used to have a trick little paint booth that I had made, but several moves later I have no idea where it ended up.  I need to build a new one and then go back to air brushing all of my primers.

IMG_0464.jpg

I just ran across this thread and thought I would throw my two cents in. I have used Krylon Industrial sandable grey primer for years. I order it from Fastenal. Best primer I have ever used other than Plastikote. Never hurts bare plastic and sands great. I’ve tried the Duplicolor, no good in my opinion.