Model Cars Magazine Forum

1986 Chevy Monte Carlo SS

Merkur XR4Ti

Built box stock from the reissued Revell kit.

Growing up in RI, this was everyone’s realistic dream ride (no one I knew could afford a Buick Grand National).

I know people generally prefer black paint on these but I always saw more white ones on the road. I painted the interior in an off-burgundy to match the velour “mouse-fur” interior these things had. When I find some tire letter decals I’ll add those too. I used the TPI engine option as that made for a quicker car. The roads were lousy with G-bodies back in the 80s.

86montess.jpg

Nice build. True, you dont see many people build them in white.

I had a 1:1. Mine was originally burgundy but someone repainted it purple. I had always loved the looks of these cars, so I bought one. Too bad it was built by GM. Leaky window seals and broken door handles quickly followed after I paid for it. 

Great looking Showroom style build. I was one of those lucky enough to get a new '86 Monte Carlo SS and in the exact color combination you have here. In the first week I almost burned up a hair dryer removing all the stripes and words on the doors. Just had the Mont Carlo SS signage on the bottom of the trunk lid. I painted the bottom lip of the front to match the body color also. I painted the gray rough portion of the wheels with Duplicolor White to match the body. Showed it twice at the Super Chevy Magazine Show at Sears Point Raceway and got first in class in 1988 and 1990. I sold it in 2002 with 90k plus miles on it. The only repairs in that time was a rebuild on the Quadrajet, very common thing, and the U-Joints had to be replaced since GM didn't feel lubrication wasn't needed for them.  That little 305 had a lot more power, for the time, than you might think. 

• 5 months later...

What brand/color did you use on the interior?  I'm  thinking Tamiya XF-9 Hull red but haven't experimented yet. Started an All American Models Aerocoupe years ago. Buddy's brother had a super clean one until it was assassinated.  Rear ended so hard it knocked out the rear springs & broke the drivers seat. Poor car!