Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 78 Dodge D 100 - update 8/11

Got this as soon as it was released the last time. Started on it a few months ago but stalled at the painting stage. So I picked it back up a couple of weeks ago and sprayed it with some Testors One Shot bronze.

Big mistake! Looked like #### so I stripped it and sprayed it with some Tamiya Light Sand. Much, much better. I assumed this was a gloss paint but it is flat. A clear coat will fix that. Kinda liking the narrow whitewalls on this one.

IMG_0487.JPG

IMG_0501.JPG

Edited by oldscool

Got the interior done except for detail painting the shifter. It's painted with Humbrol Sand #63 and i brushed some Quick Shine floor polish on everything but the carpet. Chassis is also done except for the exhaust and spare tire. Engine is OOB and it's not a bad rendition of an RB motor. It doesn't come with a starter or oil pump (the oil filter doesn't connect to anything). I painted it with Testors little bottle enamel Turquoise. Not correct but I like the way it looks. Put a pin in the top of the carb to locate the air filter.

IMG_0506.thumb.JPG.f65e3d61f3287dc4aef49d745d5b193d.JPGIMG_0507.thumb.JPG.d05ecb0eb76927ef9347cc49432b977e.JPGIMG_0508.thumb.JPG.c6cc0e7bc75c1459f8ecb6a9c6a89667.JPG

Edited by oldscool

On 8/12/2020 at 1:29 AM, slusher said:

Nice interior color!

Thanks Carl. I call this color baby#### yellow. My mother had a new 74 Coronet that had an interior very close to this color with metallic brown paint . That's the look I was originally going for until the first paint job let me down.

14 hours ago, kelson said:

Looks good!.

Thanks Curtis

Gerald,  Love the latter color choice.  Beautiful shade.  You know, I like the whitewalls, as well.  That look very real, and I remember that whitewalls were still very popular, with white letter tires starting to come into vogue on (regular) cars.  It was around that time that white wheels and mudder trucks were becoming more visible.  And, of course, disco was starting to die off!

I really have a soft spot for these old  Dodge trucks, In early 1979, I purchased a brand new 1978 D300 Adventurer extended cab dualie. I have collected some Of the original MPC kits and parts in hopes of recreating my first new vehicle. Yours is coming along very well, I love the color, and agree with the white walls! 

Edited by dragcarz

Finally got back to this one today. Shot a coat of Tamiya clear on her and it turned out well. Not going for a really shiny finish, instead going for old original paint that has dulled over the years but has been kept clean. I'm off all next week so I should be able to finish her up. Next step is the body trim and grill details. The wheels need another coat of black and will be using the hub caps.

IMG_0513.JPG

Edited by oldscool
  • Like 1

Finally made some more progress yesterday.Installed the exhaust system and found a more realistic spare tire which completes the chassis assembly. I then moved on to the most intimidating part (at least for me) of most builds-the body trim. Used black and silver sharpies for the windshield trim and some Model Master chrome silver enamel for the vent window posts. The "glass" is obviously clamped until the glue dries. I use Testors clear part cement for most clear parts and it works well and is stronger then ordinary white glue but takes a long time to dry. The kit doesn't come with a rear view mirror but I will be adding one. Just might finish this one tonight.

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0519.JPG

• 2 weeks later...