Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Oldsmobile 442 (WCFL Radio New Car)

doorsovdoon

Looking good so far, Gareth!

For all who asked, the wheel covers are resin copies of Jo-Han 1957 Plymouth promo wheels (I found ONE usable one in Model Empire's parts sale bin). They have the right look when the centers are slightly flattened with a ring added, and are the right size to fit either the kit tires or your usual AMT Firestones.

Gotta be honest, though - I was always a WLS listener growing up, and a devotee of John Records Landecker... tango_face_grin.png.e38be8a4df9e0d0f5a7d20a956b31191.png

Edited by ChrisBcritter

1 hour ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Looking good so far, Gareth!

For all who asked, the wheel covers are resin copies of Jo-Han 1957 Plymouth promo wheels (I found ONE usable one in Model Empire's parts sale bin). They have the right look when the centers are slightly flattened with a ring added, and are the right size to fit either the kit tires or your usual AMT Firestones.

Gotta be honest, though - I was always a WLS listener growing up, and a devotee of John Records Landecker... tango_face_grin.png.e38be8a4df9e0d0f5a7d20a956b31191.png

They're perfect. Thanks again, Chris. The tyres I'm using are from the '64 Impala and fit perfectly. Yeah, WLS was a good station, John Records Landecker, "Records truly is my middle name" 

I'm having a go at making those rings on the hubcaps using drinking straws, they look long here so I can hold them. I'll sand them down when the glue has dried leaving just a tiny raised ring in the centre. Don't know if it will work as they will probably fall off as soon as I touch them but it's worth a try.

20200815_174351_LLS.JPG

Picking back up on the WLS connection, does anybody remember Bob Sirott? He was the afternoon jock during the mid to late '70s and did a segment entitled the "BS Love Counsellor." Listeners would call in and tell Bob about a particular romantic issue or dilemma and he would comedically try to provide them a solution. I remember one afternoon, a woman named Rosemary called in to say that she suffered incontinence whenever she'd be kissing her boyfriend. He provided his typical nonsense advice, but what I remember most, is immediately after getting off the line with her, he introduced the next record: "Thanks for calling , Rosemary. And now, Edison Lighthouse with their hit, 'Love grows where my Rosemary goes..."

Edited by Watertown

Got these made up today at a local print shop (Swiss Valley print) I was surprised he was open. They're printed on clear and cut around the actual logo. As far as I can figure out, these were the original colours of the WCFL call letters. I could be wrong cos only one picture exists of the actual car and it's black and white.

20200819_212503.JPG

Done some changes under the hood. The alternator was sitting too high which was preventing the hood from closing properly, so I cut some sprue and shaped it to look like a dynamo. The carbs and filter housing have gone and replaced with a single carburettor and stock air filter housing I had in my spares. Talk about a downgrade, Lol! I couldn't for the life of me get the steering shaft to fit in such a tight space, I tried for a good hour but there was no way it was going to fit, so I left it out. Just the front bumper left to do now and fit some small bits and this one is done! :)

20200820_222601.JPG