Model Cars Magazine Forum

1929 Model A Ford wrecker

Jay, this thing is simply amazing, at least for me. This is one great battered ol' tow truck.

Would you please tell me in short words how you did the rust and weathering? Did you use salt grains or any special washes? How did you make the rusted-through holes? Did you grind the plastic from the back and broke out little pieces?

Again,  great work (I'm a bit jealous):D. Take care, Juergen

On 8/13/2020 at 11:47 AM, HJK said:

Jay, this thing is simply amazing, at least for me. This is one great battered ol' tow truck.

Would you please tell me in short words how you did the rust and weathering? Did you use salt grains or any special washes? How did you make the rusted-through holes? Did you grind the plastic from the back and broke out little pieces?

Again,  great work (I'm a bit jealous):D. Take care, Juergen

Thanks Juergen. I used "sophisticated finishes" rust paint and tamiya weathering powders for the rust. The rust holes are exactly the way you said, grind from the back until it's really thin then break out your hole. Here's a picture of the stuff I used on this truck for weathering, it's not alot of stuff but it all works well together. 

Thanks again and happy building!!!

And thanks to everyone else too for all the great comments.

SUNP0006 (2).JPG

19 hours ago, mchook said:

Thanks Juergen. I used "sophisticated finishes" rust paint and tamiya weathering powders for the rust. The rust holes are exactly the way you said, grind from the back until it's really thin then break out your hole. Here's a picture of the stuff I used on this truck for weathering, it's not alot of stuff but it all works well together. 

Thanks again and happy building!!!

And thanks to everyone else too for all the great comments.

Mark, Thanks for your reply and thanks for sharing! Juergen

At first I was like, OK another tow truck, let's skip this one. Well......I didn't & real happy about it. The weathering on your build is spot on. Like others have mention, not over the top. Really digging the interior & your scratch build items. very well executed. thanks for sharing.