Model Cars Magazine Forum

Raptor Hauler - A Big Truck for a Big Man

Raul_Perez

WOW !! Beautiful!!! :)

Now Raul, you know I'm a color guy and so was Roth. Never met him, but lived in the same town.

I THINK ( AND REMEMBER YOU PUT ME ON YOUR LIST OF FRIENDS :lol: ) and the rule is you can't take me off, that the roof of the truck and the trailer fenders should be the same TAN as the roof of the raptor. I would give the entire assembly balance and contrast.

To me it looks a little heavy, too much solid green, and needs more contrast to break it up and make it flow more,and have that"POP" that gives the entire build the "GOTCHA FACTOR" :o "IMHO". Hopefully the interior of the truck would be the same Tan color.

Now you know Raul, we're friends :D, and this is only my opinion, and doesn't change how incredible this build is even if you leave it like it is.

Beautiful work and a great job bringing a huge project together.

I go out and treat myself to steak and shrimp when I finish a project like this, to reward myself.

A nice way to shake it off - LOL ;):lol:

All the best - dave

Edited by Treehugger Dave

Hey Dave. Patience - both the Hauler and the Trailer will get the white and orange accent stripes that the Raptor has. That should go a long way towards eliminating the blob-o-green effect! :D

Hey Bernard :lol:

I know, I know :o

I'm just another control freak that's gotta have his say :):lol: LOL.

Good thing I don't live close to Raul, he'd get ticked off and send me home ;)

WOW !! Beautiful!!! ;)

Now Raul, you know I'm a color guy and so was Roth. Never met him, but lived in the same town.

I THINK ( AND REMEMBER YOU PUT ME ON YOUR LIST OF FRIENDS :lol: ) and the rule is you can't take me off, that the roof of the truck and the trailer fenders should be the same TAN as the roof of the raptor. I would give the entire assembly balance and contrast.

To me it looks a little heavy, too much solid green, and needs more contrast to break it up and make it flow more,and have that"POP" that gives the entire build the "GOTCHA FACTOR" :o "IMHO". Hopefully the interior of the truck would be the same Tan color.

Now you know Raul, we're friends :P , and this is only my opinion, and doesn't change how incredible this build is even if you leave it like it is.

Beautiful work and a great job bringing a huge project together.

I go out and treat myself to steak and shrimp when I finish a project like this, to reward myself.

A nice way to shake it off - LOL ;)

All the best - dave

That's too funny!! Bernard and I were just talking about how different it looks in green than it did in primer. :P At this point there's still a LOT of GREEN going on! :lol:

I'm actually waiting for the paint to cure a bit more before I start masking it off for the stripes. The truck and trailer will have cream, orange and black stripes like the Raptor. My only concern with painting the roof of the truck in the tan color, (other than the fact that its textured paint), is how I would resolve the tops of the doors. The Raptor was easy because it has no side windows and the top is removable.

Raptor07-vi.jpg

Hey Dave. Patience - both the Hauler and the Trailer will get the white and orange accent stripes that the Raptor has. That should go a long way towards eliminating the blob-o-green effect! :P

Maybe I should rename the Raptor as the "Blob-O-Green", or the "Green Bloblin"! :lol: There's probably a few people on the forum that think it would be a more appropriate name! :lol:

My only concern with painting the roof of the truck in the tan color, (other than the fact that its textured paint), is how I would resolve the tops of the doors. The Raptor was easy because it has no side windows and the top is removable.

Hi guys ;)

If it were me, IMHO :lol: , there is a drip rail that turns into a body molding that does a 360 all around the roof and down the side and around the rear under the rear window. To me a good place for a color seperation line.

Bernard, you could mock this up on your computor and see how it looks - and this is definitly not a blob-a-green.

Just my two cents worth for what is already a beautiful build. My suggestions are just about what I like, but not necessarily what's pleasing to you. If your happy with what your doin, go for it, and I'll love it with ya :lol:

Have fun you guys.

All the best - dave

Wow-------------- :lol: Nothing short of amazing with this combo............You should definitely be proud of your work, because your creations show some serious skill....................Beautiful job!--------- :lol:

THANKS!!

Hi guys ;)

If it were me, IMHO :lol: , there is a drip rail that turns into a body molding that does a 360 all around the roof and down the side and around the rear under the rear window. To me a good place for a color seperation line.

Bernard, you could mock this up on your computor and see how it looks - and this is definitly not a blob-a-green.

Just my two cents worth for what is already a beautiful build. My suggestions are just about what I like, but not necessarily what's pleasing to you. If your happy with what your doin, go for it, and I'll love it with ya :lol:

Have fun you guys.

All the best - dave

You're too funny!!

With a little help from a friend, here's a "colorized" version of what the hauler will probably look like (if the roof stays green). The cream color of the roof fin gets a bit washed out against the white background, but you get the general idea...

HaulerTest1-vi.jpg

I'm also going to colorize the roof in the tan color at the drip rail to see how I like it before I actually go after it with masking tape and paper!

You just gotta love what can be done with computers these days!

DSC05441-vi.jpg

Later,

I like the stripe. K.I.S.S.

Yeah...you might be right, Bernard. The matching tan roof sounds good in theory...but I'm not sure if I like it when I see it done. It might be too much...

HaulerTest2-vi.jpg

HaulerTest1-vi.jpg

We'll see what happens next weekend when I start masking off the stripes! ;)

Later,

Edited by Raul_Perez

I would go for the tan roof. Also I woud do the bead cover in tan.

Just what I would do.

Raul did you check out my latest build? Long distance trailer for the Avanti.

Is that the Galaxie trailer? I saw the mockup taped together...you said that you were waiting for the instructions...

Raul, I like it like it is. The stripe over a tan roof MIGHT be a bit much, but that's just me. I like the trailer the way it is too. Ya dun gone an raised the freakin bar AGAIN kiddo! It's a GREAT build, no matter what you decide to do!!! ;):lol::lol:

Yeah, I'm not really inclined to paint the roof with the tan color at this time. I think that makes it look too much like a vinyl top from the 60s; this is meant to be a more modern build.

Like every other custom build; some will love it; some will appreciate the time that went into it and other will not like it at all. :lol:

Later,

Here are a couple of pics of the modified dash, frame and the door panels.

Here's the insert from the Revell F-150 Lightning grafted onto the stock '53 truck dash. I still need to take off a bit of the texture in a few areas with a scuff pad.

DSC06060-vi.jpg

Here's a picture of the backside of the dash. I had to remove a fair amount of material from the stock dash so that the insert would sit down as flush as possible. I also glued in a small piece of aluminum tubing to hold the part while it got painted and detailed.

DSC06061-vi.jpg

Here are a couple of pics of the modified frame. I cut off the stock front end of the frame right in front of the crossmember that supports the tranny.

DSC06057-vi.jpg

To get the ride height I wanted, the frame section from the F-150 Lightning kit is actually Z'd lower than the stock frame.

DSC06058-vi.jpg

The other cool thing about using the front frame clip from the Lightning is that you can then easily use the supercharged 5.4L V8 with very little modification.

DSC06059-vi.jpg

The hole in the floor that the toothpick is protruding through is actually where the brass bolt that I glued to the bottom of the seat will go through to hold the seat in place once everything is done. With the way that I modified the frame to slide into the body, I can't fasten the seat in place until after the body is mounted onto the frame.

Here are a couple of pics of the door panels. The stock kit only has minor door and window crank detail molded to the inside of the door. I added a piece of flat Plastruct to establish the correct depth of the panel, then added sections of the door panels from the Lightning kit. Once all of the paint work on the body is complete I'll paint the interior tan to match the dash and the seat.

With flash:

DSC06062-vi.jpg

Without flash:

DSC06064-vi.jpg

Later,

That looks great, hopefully I will get another F100 kit and another Lightning kit to combine the 2 like yours.

And I am so glad that you are painting the interior to match, cause that is just too much green!!

Good job as always Raul.

• 1 month later...

Here are a few pics of the hauler with the stripes and the final clear coat.

DSC06111-vi.jpg

DSC06113-vi.jpg

DSC06112-vi.jpg

After the clear dries for a week or so I'll sand out the little bit of orange peel it has, polish it, paint the interior of the cab and put it all together.

I still need to add the stripes and the decals to the trailer before it gets its final clearcoat. I'm hoping to get to most of that by the end of this weekend.

Later,

I must say that I just followed this entire WIP from start to finish and I am amazed,This is the most beautiful trio I have ever seen before.The shapes,colors and all fit together perfectly.You Sir are a true customizer.

Simply love it----------------- :P One of my favorite "combo" builds that I've seen................Doing a great job!!!!!!!!

Thanks!! This kind of build certainly takes a lot of time and a lot of room on the bench!!

I must say that I just followed this entire WIP from start to finish and I am amazed,This is the most beautiful trio I have ever seen before.The shapes,colors and all fit together perfectly.You Sir are a true customizer.

Thanks!! I'm glad to see that some people like it, too. It's interesting how custom builds, like various forms of art, can polarize people's opinion on any given piece of work.

Later,

Aha! It all comes clear to me now... The stripes will unify everything - not to mention highlighting the lovely lines of the Hauler's sectioned and molded full custom snout and the subtle curve of its sexy back end. Also, the glossy paint shows off the total success of the front fender contours (very modern and crisp - see expecially picture No.1 and the front of the fender outline as seen from rear in picture No.3). Can't wait to see the trailer with its stripes too. (No decals on the Hauler?)

BTW, I forgot to ask how you got those outstanding white gauge faces on the dash.