Model Cars Magazine Forum

Announcing an all-new book on Model Car Kits....

tim boyd

19 hours ago, David Miller said:

Amazon.ca says out of stock and not sure when or if re-stock

As of 5pm today, (Friday, 9-22-10)  Amazon.com when accessed here in the States, shows 8 copies left for delivery between September 21 and 24, and unlimited amount available for delivery from October 7-23, which will be at least their third reorder so far from the publisher.   Not sure how that plays or if it is even relevant to those of you in Canada, but wanted to pass along nonetheless.   

For a couple of times in the last several days it has shown at Amazon as the "#1 New Release in Automotive History", ahead of new books on the 1/1 scale C8 Corvette, the cars of the Bond movies, and so forth.  A victory for model car enthusiasts and a profound "NOPE" to those who insist our hobby is dying....just imagine.....a book on models that is outselling a book on the new Corvette C8!   Still, my Publisher tells me that these Amazon rankings are a bit of a mystery from their point of view, and Amazon says the rankings change hourly, so take it all with a very big grain of salt for what it's worth....

Book is also available directly from the publisher, CarTechBooks.com, from AutoWorld.com, from Model Roundup, from ModelCave in Ypsi, Michigan, and from Pasteiner's in Birmingham, Michigan.  Most of these have the book in stock now for immediate delivery. 

Thanks guys for all your support and interest....and hope that those of you who buy it find it to be entertaining and a good reference for your kit collecting efforts.   Best Regards....TIM . 

Edited by tim boyd

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

You think Barnes and Nobel will have it?

Ron....I don't know for sure. 

I hear that B&N was really hurt by the Covid-19 shutdown; I am sure that they are being very careful about buying new inventory. 

My previous book was only stocked in the top 300 B&N stores; I personally saw it only in one store in the Metro area I live in.  I have also noticed that B&N has downsized their automotive category and moved it to the rear of some of their stores.  Bottom line, I wouldn't expect to see the book in B&N any time soon; if anybody does see it I would like to know.  

Best....TIM

Well, Amazon sent me a message last week to inform me that they lost my package and that I could either get a refund or order another one. I waited one day and it showed up! 

Amazon delivery has been a bit overwhelmed and it is understandable that thing will not be on time all the time. And scaring me with losing it is not good. 

20 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Well, Amazon sent me a message last week to inform me that they lost my package and that I could either get a refund or order another one. I waited one day and it showed up! 

Amazon delivery has been a bit overwhelmed and it is understandable that thing will not be on time all the time. And scaring me with losing it is not good. 

Jesse,,,,that is really interesting.  Doug Estabrook reported the exact same sequence of events to me.  He finally got his book yesterday, also, a day later.  

Anyway, sure glad you (eventually) got the book in your hands.  And thanks for ordering. 

You too, Richard!   TIM .  

On 9/22/2020 at 8:13 AM, tim boyd said:

Ron....I don't know for sure. 

I hear that B&N was really hurt by the Covid-19 shutdown; I am sure that they are being very careful about buying new inventory. 

My previous book was only stocked in the top 300 B&N stores; I personally saw it only in one store in the Metro area I live in.  I have also noticed that B&N has downsized their automotive category and moved it to the rear of some of their stores.  Bottom line, I wouldn't expect to see the book in B&N any time soon; if anybody does see it I would like to know.  

Best....TIM

Yea and their selection of car magazines and hobby magazines,have disappeared off the shelves.There are some,but not ones that I read,like my Jeep magazine I get there every month.Gone,off the shelves.I wonder if BnN will go out of business ,and then there won’t be any book stores.Personally I liked Borders much better,but they bit the dust,and are all gone.

11 hours ago, 64Comet404 said:

I'm in the same situation with amazon.ca. Chapters/Indigo doesn't even list it as available for ordering, so who knows when we will see this book in our mailboxes.

I'm presuming if you bought the book from a US source (modelroundup.com, CarTechBooks.com, AutoWorld.com, Model Cave in Ypsi, MI), you'd have to pay an exorbitant customs fee, currency conversion fee, shipping fee, or the like?  All these sources reportedly have the book in stock....not happy to hear you are having these troubles!   TIM 

12 hours ago, 64Comet404 said:

I'm in the same situation with amazon.ca. Chapters/Indigo doesn't even list it as available for ordering, so who knows when we will see this book in our mailboxes.

Yes, I have the same problem, Ken. I keep checking Amazon.ca and no luck yet. Between shipping and currency conversion, it makes it an awfully expensive book to get from across the border.

43 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

I'm presuming if you bought the book from a US source (modelroundup.com, CarTechBooks.com, AutoWorld.com, Model Cave in Ypsi, MI), you'd have to pay an exorbitant customs fee, currency conversion fee, shipping fee, or the like?  All these sources reportedly have the book in stock....not happy to hear you are having these troubles!   TIM 

We would have to pay the conversion fees and the shipping, probably wouldn't get charged by Customs for duties. All part of the joys of being a hobbyist in a smaller market. If amazon doesn't get it in stock in the next couple of weeks, I will contact my source for car books and see if he can source one for me.

1 minute ago, peter31a said:

Yes, I have the same problem, Ken. I keep checking Amazon.ca and no luck yet. Between shipping and currency conversion, it makes it an awfully expensive book to get from across the border.

You must have been reading my mind, Peter. Your post showed up while I was typing! I know that Jim at DRB has Tim's Musclecar book in stock, so if I don't hear anything soon, I'll probably order the new book from him.

So, I just finished reading this and I must say, it seemed like a pretty short read! So much good stuff! 

Reading some parts of the book reminded me of the conversations I had with Tom West about the industry and what he did for our hobby. I miss Tom West. 

Thank Mr. Boyd for capturing a great chunk of our hobby once again and saving it's history. 

Finally got mine today! :D

Of course, just because "it never rains but it pours," I also got The Last Issue of "The Other Magazine." AND the new issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines. AND the new issue of American Rifleman

Too much stuff to read is better than not enough, I can assure you. B)