Model Cars Magazine Forum

72 Plymouth Roadrunner 426 HEMI 8 Pack

1 hour ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thanks for your very kind comments on my builds Steve, I really appreciate your sincere sentiments my friend!

It is always a pleasure to share and my main reason for being present on this forum is precisely for that, it is not one way, I am learning and I find a lot of motivation and useful information from other members of this forum and your are one of those for sure!

My main sources for scale nuts and bolts are RB Motion  http://www.rbmotion.com/  for the aluminum simulated bolts and nuts and Scale Hardware (Model Motorcars)  https://www.modelmotorcars.com/scalehardware/  for the real brass or nickel plated brass nuts and bolts.

Hope this help, Francis

Very helpful, thanks Francis! 

Twice as much fun Francis.  I finally sat down to check out the forum for the first time in a bit and wanted to see how your pick-up was coming along..........and of course, saw this build too.  NICE to say the least.  Had a smile after seeing how you did a few things (thanks for sharing and some ideas I got from them).   Kudos sir.  Cheers, Tim

On 9/3/2020 at 9:54 PM, mustang1989 said:

Alright Francis. You're gonna have to share your secret for those wheelie bars. This is one area that I've been wondering about for my Maverick build and I would certainly like to see how you did these.

This is one bad A$$ project right here!!! 

Thanks Joe!  I will be more than happy to help you.  They are not that difficult to make and I'm sure you can make them yourself without too much difficulty, I will assist you as much I can!

Take care, Francis

20 hours ago, Codi said:

Twice as much fun Francis.  I finally sat down to check out the forum for the first time in a bit and wanted to see how your pick-up was coming along..........and of course, saw this build too.  NICE to say the least.  Had a smile after seeing how you did a few things (thanks for sharing and some ideas I got from them).   Kudos sir.  Cheers, Tim

Thanks for the kind words Tim!  It's a pretty old build and I'm still scratching my head wondering why I made some parts this way... another time another way of working... I guess it's a good representation of the change in my working methods.  I'm still proud of it however, it still looks good in my display cabinet.

Take care, Francis

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, dragcarz said:

WOW, Francis, that’s beautiful! A couple questions, where did you learn your skills? Do you work at a job? It must take hours to make one part! Do you ever just build in plastic? 

Thanks for the kind words Roger!

I learned on my own mostly with the "one step at a time" method, I would say.  There are a lot a great builders on this forum and it's a good source of motivation too.

I have no formation nor experience as a machinist so I often take unusual road to achieve the results I'm looking for.  However, I do have a long experience (32 years) as a graphic designer for the printing industry and I consider myself as a perfectionist even if the perfection is out of this world...

Making all these pieces takes a lot of time of course, but I really love doing them and I don't count my time, it's a passion and my goal is to always strive to improve myself!

Like everyone else, I built my first models only out of plastic following the kit instructions but started making or improving the kit parts probably 25 years ago with a good old Dremel and a small Xacto drill bit set that I still use today.

Thanks for your interest and feel free to send me a PM with any questions you may have, it's a real pleasure to share and learn!  Take care, Francis

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Art Laski said:

Another fantastic effort, Francis! The fact that your machining skills are self-taught is impressive, and very inspiring.

-Art

Thanks for the comments Art!  I'm one of those people who thinks that when you really want (or accomplish) something and have enough patience and motivation then you can surprise yourself.  Machining is now part of my hobby and I couldn't build without it!

Thank you for giving a second life to this thread sir!

Take care, Francis

• 4 months later...
21 hours ago, JGrey said:

Wow! that is on another level of craftsmanship (which I'll never be LOL) Beautiful build!

Thanks for the compliment Jerry!  This model is about ten years old and I think I have improved my machining methods a lot since then but I have to admit that this bird still looks good on my shelf.  I'm glad you like it! 😊

Francis

On 4/7/2021 at 1:04 PM, Sledsel said:

This is more along the lines of Artwork than actual model building!

Fantastic

Thanks for your kind comment on my Roadrunner Andy!

I think the body style and the Plum Crazy color have a lot to do with it, I always had a soft spot for these 70's muscle cars... 😊

Francis

• 2 years later...

My God

The detail you put into this model is phenomenal sir..The rear end and drums look realistic as hell..The engine block, WOW!!!..This is what I espire my modeling skills to become..Those parts looks as if you took them to Jerry Bickel Race Cars shop to have them built..Although Jerry passed last year, his team builds some the drag racing premiere Pro Mods in the country..This is in my top 20 models of my life time..Again, job well done sir!!!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Maurice Henderson said:

My God

The detail you put into this model is phenomenal sir..The rear end and drums look realistic as hell..The engine block, WOW!!!..This is what I espire my modeling skills to become..Those parts looks as if you took them to Jerry Bickel Race Cars shop to have them built..Although Jerry passed last year, his team builds some the drag racing premiere Pro Mods in the country..This is in my top 20 models of my life time..Again, job well done sir!!!

If you think this one is awesome, check out his other builds. They are all AMAZING!!!

On 2/8/2024 at 2:13 AM, Maurice Henderson said:

My God

Hello Maurice and thank you for your kind comments!

First of all, I would like to welcome you to the forum, you will certainly find many interesting builds to get your teeth into because there are lots of passionate people here.

It's funny to see this old thread resurface but I admit that the finished product gives an interesting look, the color Plum Crazy has a lot to do with it because it's one of the most beautiful Mopar colors and it suits the Roadrunner perfectly.

I have greatly improved my machining methods since that time and I modestly believe that what I do now is far superior but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  You can see some of them by clicking on the links at the bottom of my posts if you are interested.

Francis

On 2/8/2024 at 8:42 PM, Keef said:

If you think this one is awesome, check out his other builds. They are all AMAZING!!!

Thanks for your great comments Keith, I really appreciate your mark of appreciation of my models!

On 2/8/2024 at 9:55 PM, FoMoCo66 said:

This thing must weigh a ton

Great build 👍.

Thanks Ace, that is indeed the case, all my models are heavier than normal but the Roadrunner is light weight compared to the '64 D100 because it contains a lot more aluminum and brass! 😊

On 2/8/2024 at 11:34 PM, Moparman18064 said:

Wow Francis, you knocked my socks off! Incredible build

Thanks Rich, although it's not my most elaborate build since I built it many years ago but I have to admit that it always brought a lot of good comments at model exhibitions.

Thanks again to all of you guys.

Francis