Model Cars Magazine Forum

I've been wanting a 70 GTO for awhile, but there aren't any modern kits, and the vintage kits are way to pricey.  The other day I saw a conversion kit for the 72 MPC GTO and decided to give it a try based on my previous experience with the Challenger conversions.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: DO NOT ATTEMPT UNLESS YOU ARE AT PRO LEVEL!

So, with that being said; this kit and build was a nightmare.  First off the conversion was way over molded.  The hood alone was a 1/4 in thick.  There was a lot of sanding...........so much sanding.  I never did get it sanded down.  I ended up doing some cutting and gluing the hood to the body.  Irritation number two, the MPC kit front end is attached to the body.  So I had to cut the front end off and sand some more, YAY!  So, I get it the way I think it would be good.  I go to see how the new front end will look once put on and..............The hood is too long.  Yay, more sanding, just what I wanted.  So, now I get it good, and I go to glue the front end on.  There's now a gap because it doesn't want to glue all the way down.  Great!  A lot of cursing later and I finally get it some what looking....... OK.  As a previous poster commented on their build; the rear end on the MPC kit has a fit issue.  I tried to get it looking good, but it was pretty hard.  I also hate that the MPC kit is molded in orange.  It's a pretty bad, basic kit.  There's also a problem with the pipes.  They hang down way too far.  Gotta glue them to the body later.  My last problem was the stripes.  They are Keith Marks and look good.  However, they are not one piece.  Yeah, I had to put on a strip, let it set, and put another strip over it.  What could go wrong?  A lot.  Had one double over on itself and it's also hard to line them up..

Over all though, it looks passable for my collection.  

50202235373_9e89f77f2e_k.jpgSAM_0078 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

50202235323_fa30838905_k.jpgSAM_0079 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

50203040002_faa72ce518_k.jpgSAM_0080 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

50202235188_f91e7a9303_k.jpgSAM_0081 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

you did a good job  i know how hard it is to do mods i recently   down scaled  a 1/24th  scale 70 gtx  front end  and back end to mearge them with  a 1/25th scale  body from  4 door 78 monaco  it was not easy  and not that easy to put the cut down parts back together and look good 

Edited by michelle

1 hour ago, michelle said:

you did a good job  i know how hard it is to do mods i recently   down scaled  a 1/24th  scale 70 gtx  front end  and back end to mearge them with  a 1/25th scale  body from  4 door 78 monaco  it was not easy  and not that easy to put the cut down parts back together and look good 

indeed

1 hour ago, Bills72sj said:

I was looking at the 70 GTO conversion on ebay. I really want that rear wing. Thanks for the report on how much of a hassle it is.

I found out Reliable Resin has a better conversion kit a couple months after I got this one.  I think the rear wing is sold separate and runs about $15.