Model Cars Magazine Forum

Decal solution with Powerslide decals ?

Goodwrench3

Hi all:

I'm working on the '82 Bobby Allison Gatorade Buick (Salvinos JR kit) and I'm sure I'm going to need to use some decal solution to get the gauge decals to "snuggle down".

What kind of decal solution have you been using with the Powerslide decals ?   Any tips for the gauge decals (they actually look a bit big for the Monogram molded gauges)  ?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Goodwrench3 said:

The Microset/Microsol stuff has worked really well.

Are you guys using it when applying the Powerslide tire decals to the tires too  ?    Wasn't sure on this if it's a good idea or not on the tires ?

Thanks!

I do!!

Super.  Thanks.

I did the tires last night -- worked great.

One last question --   putting decals on top of another decal.  

On this Bobby Allison car, there is a green panel decal and then part of the contingency sponsor cluster decal goes on top of it.  Is it OK to put Microset over a decal that has been applied and dried  ?   Or is that going to loosen/hurt the decal ?    In other words, once a decal has dried, should you not put Microset on it again ?

2020-09-01_7-52-29.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It should be ok

On 9/1/2020 at 8:52 AM, Goodwrench3 said:

Super.  Thanks.

I did the tires last night -- worked great.

One last question --   putting decals on top of another decal.  

On this Bobby Allison car, there is a green panel decal and then part of the contingency sponsor cluster decal goes on top of it.  Is it OK to put Microset over a decal that has been applied and dried  ?   Or is that going to loosen/hurt the decal ?    In other words, once a decal has dried, should you not put Microset on it again ?

2020-09-01_7-52-29.jpg

It should be ok but I have no power slide experience yet, just received a shipment from Mike's Decals. Maybe seal the base decals with clear first? That's what I would do if it were me.   

I built the Bobby Allison flat nose Monte Carlo with Powerslide decals, not the kit decals, which are Powerslide also, used Solvaset, Microsol and Microset  everything worked great. I did let the big green portion of the decals set for a couple of days, I'm really over cautious,  before putting any decals over them, worked great. Power slide decals are some of the best I've ever used. I'm not a great modeler but have been modeling for a long time. I don't think you need to coat them first unless you just want to. oh I also use setting solution for the tire decals, once dry coat with flat clear and then hit them with a Tamiya weathering stick to unbrighten the white.

I actually applied the contingency clusters right over the big green panel without any setting solution (I was just too afraid to).  I applied setting solution over the body below the green panel where the cluster extended down to.  Everything was fine.  The cluster decal laid down just fine over the big green decal, so it was a non-issue.

I was just a bit nervous -- even after letting the large green panel dry for a couple days -- about putting Microset on it, since there are instructions on the Microset bottle for using it to REMOVE applied decals.  EEK !   LOL.   I'm sure you probably have to apply quite a bit of it before you would "unstick" an applied decal.

@james460  --  I've seen several posts about using a "Tamiya weathering stick" to tone down the tire lettering.  I know there are a LOT of Tamiya weathering powders available.   Which are you using for this  ?

Thanks!

4 hours ago, james460 said:

Actually can't remember which Tamiya set I use. I'll need to look at home. Actually found out about using it from a Clay Kemp article in a magazine. It's one of the little three pack sets. I use the black. Again I'll look tonight and see.

Thanks --  I've got a couple different sets on my bench.  This would be another really good YouTube video to do.

On 9/17/2020 at 10:00 AM, james460 said:

I built the Bobby Allison flat nose Monte Carlo with Powerslide decals, not the kit decals, which are Powerslide also, used Solvaset, Microsol and Microset  everything worked great. I did let the big green portion of the decals set for a couple of days, I'm really over cautious,  before putting any decals over them, worked great. Power slide decals are some of the best I've ever used. I'm not a great modeler but have been modeling for a long time. I don't think you need to coat them first unless you just want to. oh I also use setting solution for the tire decals, once dry coat with flat clear and then hit them with a Tamiya weathering stick to unbrighten the white.

Good to know!! thanks. 

3 hours ago, Goodwrench3 said:

Thanks --  I've got a couple different sets on my bench.  This would be another really good YouTube video to do.

I use the Tamiya powders with the "Soot" (Set B in the link below) to tone down the tire decals.  I usually apply it with the sponge end of the applicator.

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/87080weathering/index.htm