Model Cars Magazine Forum

1986 Porsche 944 Turbo

vintagerpm

I used to own a 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo and decided I wanted to build a model of it. This is the Hasegawa kit. Paint is Porsche Graphite Metallic from Automotive Touchup with Tamiya Maroon for the interior. I made lap & shoulder belts for it using strip plastic, silk ribbon, and Studio27 hardware. I also scratchbuilt the seatbelt return mechanism for the back seats. Rear bumber was converted into US spec and a windshiled wiper motor box added to the rear window wiper. Decal pin stripe is from Microscale and wheels/tires are from Scale Productions.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

4 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Its cool to build a car you actually owned. One way of getting to own it again.  I have a model of my 1988   944 using the same kit.  I liked the car but the repairs were getting scary. 

Repairs. Oy! I bought mine in 1998 and sold it in 1999 when I realized I was spending $1000/month to keep it running. Apparently, every peice rubber (bushings, gaskets) were rotting and needing replacement. Four hour charge to remove the turbo every time the engine had to be worked on - One hour per bolt. Mechanic had to get under the car and use every extention he had on his torque wrench to reach the bolts hoilding the turbo on. Typical German engineering. ?

Edited by vintagerpm

1 hour ago, vintagerpm said:

Repairs. Oy! I bought mine in 1998 and sold it in 1999 when I realized I was spending $1000/month to keep it running. Apparently, every peice rubber (bushings, gaskets) were rotting and needing replacement. Four hour charge to remove the turbo every time the engine had to be worked on - One hour per bolt. Mechanic had to get under the car and use every extention he had on his torque wrench to reach the bolts hoilding the turbo on. Typical German engineering. ?

We could probably commiserate for hours on the problems we had. On mine if you stood on the gas hard in low gear you could get the clutch to slip. Under normal driving conditions it was OK but i knew it would go sooner or later.  The people who bought mine took it on a trip  and the clutch let go many miles from home. If you know about these cars then you know the engine and radiator have to come out to get at the clutch. Kinda makes you feel sorry for those people.