Model Cars Magazine Forum

Someone built a remote-control car in 1:150 scale

Yeah, I can see about a dozen places in that video where the part in the tweezers would go flying into the stratosphere for me if I tried something like that, lol. Incredible engineering and craftsmanship in that car. Some people's building skills are truly amazing. 

Jeff 

There were H0 size RC car toys available several years ago (I bought one from HLJ).  But unlike this model, they had no proportional control. It was stop, or full speed, and steering was straight, full right, full left.  Again, it was a toy.  I still have that car (Nissan 350Z), but the battery leaked out and corroded the motor and other parts.

The only markings on the  model and remote are 2005 SUPER GRAND CHINA.

40 minutes ago, Spex84 said:

Wow, that's incredibly cool.

I didn't quite get the photoreflector part, but I'll watch the video again and figure it out tomorrow. Neato.

That model is controlled using IR (infrared) light, not radio.  Like a TV remote control.  I think the reason is that a radio receiver would be physically too large to fit in that tiny car.  IR receivers can be made much smaller.

EDIT:  I think the photoreflector" you are thinking of is actually a phototransistor/LED combo which detects the piece of white plastic on the steering motor shaft.  It is used to count the revolutions of the shaft.  That provides feedback to the control circuit, so it "knows" how far it turned the front wheels.

Edited by peteski

I'm disappointed. No working lights? ? In all seriousness that is impressive. And way beyond my skills, or patience for that matter. The one thing I do question from this video is the scale. I play with N scale trains. N scale is 1/160th. Compared to my N scale automobiles, this remote car looks to me to be a little bit bigger that 1/150th. Even still, if it is slightly bigger than 1/150th, it's still darn impressive. 

On 8/21/2020 at 12:47 AM, unclescott58 said:

I'm disappointed. No working lights? ? In all seriousness that is impressive. And way beyond my skills, or patience for that matter. The one thing I do question from this video is the scale. I play with N scale trains. N scale is 1/160th. Compared to my N scale automobiles, this remote car looks to me to be a little bit bigger that 1/150th. Even still, if it is slightly bigger than 1/150th, it's still darn impressive. 

I believe the model is a standard 1:150 Japanese passenger car, probably from Tomix (Tomytec).  Person in the video might just have small hands. :D  If I did some Google searches I could likely find that exact model, but I don't feel it is that important.

Edited by peteski

Ok, here is the scoop on that model.

It is the 2003-08 Toyota Crown from TomyTec Car Collection 10.  I think the builder probably picked that car because it is larger than most of the TomyTec 1:150 scale automobiles.

Here a comparison photo of the TomyTec Nissan Teana (blue) from Car Collection 10, a 1:160 Wiking VW Passat (red), and the TomyTec Toyota Crown from Car Collection 10.828-240820231255.jpeg.66fbe17cb757d2f4f92f95309204ece0.jpeg

So yes, that model is quite bit larger than a typical 1:160 passenger car, but I believe it is still correctly scaled model, in 1:150 scale.