Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg 1/8 Bobtail T

Sam I Am

• 4 weeks later...

Looks great!! Big scale is fun, just hard to find a place to put them when finished. Really like the green.

For what it is worth...these early Ford transmissions to not have a seal like that for the shifter. It is a spring supported domed steel washer inside a collar/retainer. There would have been a rubber boot on the floor to keep the outside stuff from coming inside the car, but it wasn't really a seal of any sorts for the transmission.

spacer.png

Sam, I love the simplicity of this model and how nicely you have finished every part so far.  It inspires me to build the bucket and the coupe in my stash but alas, I have promised myself to continue to build 1/25th until my eyesight won't let me and then I will turn to my 1/8th kits.  Lately I'm thinking that is not so far away!

I'm really enjoying this build and especially the colour choice - it is period perfect!

Cheers

Alan

On 10/14/2020 at 3:57 PM, cobraman said:

Looking sharp !

Thanks, glad you like it.

12 hours ago, Quiet Eric said:

Looks great!! Big scale is fun, just hard to find a place to put them when finished. Really like the green.

I am already trying to figure out how to rearrange my display case.

51 minutes ago, alan barton said:

Sam, I love the simplicity of this model and how nicely you have finished every part so far.  It inspires me to build the bucket and the coupe in my stash but alas, I have promised myself to continue to build 1/25th until my eyesight won't let me and then I will turn to my 1/8th kits.  Lately I'm thinking that is not so far away!

I'm really enjoying this build and especially the colour choice - it is period perfect!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan. I also have the coupe, brand new in the box. This is a trial run and learning curve for the next one. Trying hard to keep it simple and just finish it, but the large scale just begs for a lot of detail.

I also was keeping the larger scale for a future day, but it is a nice change from the norm,  and I was also thinking I might not ever build one if I keep putting it off for the future.

Thanks guys !

So I have been working with the body components, and have come to the realization that sometimes you just have to be content with warped plastic. This plastic has become so brittle with age that using the hot water trick didn't even faze it, still managed to crack the floor.  Three pieces to the body, main bucket, cowl, and firewall.  I primed all of them, and then painted the inside of all three, then assembled and painted the outside. Turned out pretty good. 

20201023_103145.jpg

20201023_115518.jpg

20201023_120532.jpg

20201023_120748.jpg

20201023_132552.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So it's interior time. I keep scrubbing the white rubbery parts with soft scrub with bleach and I think I can live with the results. Working with thin warped plastic is real fun. I sprayed a seal coat over the old instrument decals and will give them a try. They mount on clear plastic that fits in behind the chrome bezel.

20201104_145816.jpg

20201104_145759.jpg

20201104_145744.jpg

Things that make you go hmmm. The instrument cluster had a clear plastic part that mounted into the gauge cluster from behind, and then the decals went behind that. The more I looked at the old yellowed decals the more I went hmmm. So I seal coated the decals in hope they would not disintegrate, left them on the paper backing and then glued them in place from behind with a little white glue. I think they came out pretty good, and since you can buy the real deal in antique white, they're spot on.

20201105_150607.jpg