Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevy SSR with Midget Racer

DanR

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. I am actually quite proud of this build. The SSR seemed like a perfect option because it has that retro styling without being one of the expected kits that Revell suggested pairing the midget kits with. And I second Don Relyea, I'd love to see these kits come back!!

3 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking vehicle combination. The Midget has so many delicate trim parts it's hard to get the Nurf Bars on the body without having them come apart.   

Espo, holy c*** you are so right. You need the patience of a saint to build them. I used a lot of Evergreen Canopy Glue on those parts and it really worked great. Now that the midget is on the trailer, it will stay there. It's best not to handle it for fear of things coming off. The Canopy Glue also worked perfectly for attaching the photoetch parts for the steering wheel and gauges.

Edited by DanR

If anyone is interested, the kits were painted with Model Master Hugger Orange lacquer spray. When I decided to use it, I didn't even realize that it's a Chevy color, I thought it was a Mopar color, but didn't care either way. I had two cans that were degrading a bit at the bottom (this seems to be an issue with some MM lacquer cans) and when I realized they were still usable, I figured this was a good opportunity to empty them out!