Model Cars Magazine Forum

Purple 'n Pearl - 1934 custom pickup

Hi Everybody!

Here's my latest Trophy Series adventure. This time it's a '34 Ford pickup from the recent Round 2 release. The original idea was to build it close to the custom on the box art. It didn't get TOO far away from that but it gradually evolved in kind of an Ala Kart direction. The top has been chopped a little (the box art truck definitely has a chopped top also) and the bed's been shortened a lot. Headlights are resin copies of the Roth Outlaw items and the taillights are cobbled up from rear view mirrors. The tailgate was scratch built to go with the restyle and the tuck and roll is made from poured acrylic craft paint. Speed equipment from the '50 Ford convert kit was adapted to fit the '34 flathead. The paint is Duplicolor white pearl (a Toyota color). The side mount spare comes from AMT's old '57 T-Bird full custom kit - it was one of the "Barris customizing tips" on the truck's retro style instruction sheet and I just happened to have the part so I did it!

Hope you enjoy looking at it!

IMGP4802.JPG.8a1e7188d879b3c47ea2dd25ab1c1703.JPG

IMGP4805.JPG.1c9301d0705e46e7a6157fc4d313a9dd.JPG

IMGP4806.JPG.0094bb06eac5392542a9fe171ea4e6dd.JPG

IMGP4808.JPG.a9071d3bd325d46588840201b69195c7.JPG

IMGP4812.JPG.17d3e355003937fa6faaa77bcb8cceeb.JPG

IMGP4815.JPG.f7db8cae734ba40006392378f5ec512c.JPG

IMGP4816.JPG.43d2098c38f0fc21c23576d3ef2286de.JPG

Thank you, everyone! I really appreciate your appreciation! This build was very purposely intended to have a period look and it's great that it was noticed and is still enjoyed. This is one of my "Tomkats" builds - you might have noticed the club plaque. The idea is to build some of the early Trophy Series kits in a style that was around at the time the kit was first issued. By early Trophy Series  I mean the kits that were first released between 1959, when the series started, and about 1963 or 64. That includes most of the classic hot rods that you might have found in a car club back in the day and that's how the Tomkats were born.

Here's a sort of bonus photo. It's an under construction shot that shows some of the stuff that gets hidden on the finished model. The tuck and roll seat is intended to resemble the work of Eddie Martinez (no relation). His name is probably not familiar to everybody but he did the upholstery on the Ala Kart, Outlaw, Beatnik Bandit and many, many more famous and not so famous hot rods.

IMGP4790.JPG.318ea6ff39bc490a44f99b395f332ae4.JPG

On 8/23/2020 at 10:27 PM, mr moto said:

Thank you, everyone! I really appreciate your appreciation! This build was very purposely intended to have a period look and it's great that it was noticed and is still enjoyed. This is one of my "Tomkats" builds - you might have noticed the club plaque. The idea is to build some of the early Trophy Series kits in a style that was around at the time the kit was first issued. By early Trophy Series  I mean the kits that were first released between 1959, when the series started, and about 1963 or 64. That includes most of the classic hot rods that you might have found in a car club back in the day and that's how the Tomkats were born.

Here's a sort of bonus photo. It's an under construction shot that shows some of the stuff that gets hidden on the finished model. The tuck and roll seat is intended to resemble the work of Eddie Martinez (no relation). His name is probably not familiar to everybody but he did the upholstery on the Ala Kart, Outlaw, Beatnik Bandit and many, many more famous and not so famous hot rods.

IMGP4790.JPG.318ea6ff39bc490a44f99b395f332ae4.JPG

Great picture, Manuel!

I can't help it but ask: what is the colour/brand of paint used for the frame? I love it! It looks somehow like HOK Passion pearl (PBC 40)...

CT

2 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Great picture, Manuel!

I can't help it but ask: what is the colour/brand of paint used for the frame? I love it! It looks somehow like HOK Passion pearl (PBC 40)...

CT

Thanks, Claude!

The frame and engine block were painted with Duplicolor Metalcast over the companion silver base. I already had them from a previous project.