Model Cars Magazine Forum

The generations project

Beans

Decided I wanted to create a display of one ford mustang from each of the six generations.  (It is true that body styles changed within generation years but that is a future project...)

I am trying to keep with the appropriate color blue (I am doing them all in blue) for the year so each will have a slightly different blue.

Working on a Generation 5 (2006) currently.

So far I have discovered two things:

1) Generation 2 (1974-1978) models are harder to find than any other.

2) Generation 6 (2015-present) only has snaptite models....will have to research if another year undercarriage will fit the gen 6 body.

Here is the progress on the '06 so far:

IMG_20200819_154946.jpg.60a0fdfa88e6e6e63df754bff30078ec.jpgIMG_20200819_154451.jpg.1b84070538051011a656a494887f9a8f.jpgIMG_20200819_154435.jpg.927e74a58d30e82611c8552af2137467.jpg

Edited by Beans

Interesting project. Keep us posted. B)

BTW, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that the '64-'66 Mustangs are considered the same "generation" as the '71-'73s. To me, that's four "generations" right there. :blink:

Very nicely detailed chassis and interior. Should you want or need an '89 GT Convertible for your builds I have one to trade since I don't foresee my building it.  Look forward to watching your other Mustang builds also. 

On 8/19/2020 at 9:18 PM, Snake45 said:

Interesting project. Keep us posted. B)

BTW, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that the '64-'66 Mustangs are considered the same "generation" as the '71-'73s. To me, that's four "generations" right there. :blink:

My daughter has a 1:1 69 Mustang convertible (cruise night quality) and I was amazed that some Mustang unique 65 parts will fit it and some Mustang unique 73 parts will fit it.

Having said that simply sharing chassis architecture does not make a generation in other makes and models. The 62-70 Mopar B-body chassis architecture remained fairly constant thru three generations of Satellite/Coronet and a couple generations of Charger (nobody refers to a 68-70 Charger as a first gen). 

Craig (Carmak)

5 hours ago, Carmak said:

Having said that simply sharing chassis architecture does not make a generation in other makes and models. 

Very true.  I'm not even sure who or when the whole generation idea came into play and what prompted the end of one and begining of another other than later generations being somewhat drastic changes.  Such as the mustang II in 74.

9 hours ago, Carmak said:

My daughter has a 1:1 69 Mustang convertible (cruise night quality) and I was amazed that some Mustang unique 65 parts will fit it and some Mustang unique 73 parts will fit it.

Having said that simply sharing chassis architecture does not make a generation in other makes and models. The 62-70 Mopar B-body chassis architecture remained fairly constant thru three generations of Satellite/Coronet and a couple generations of Charger (nobody refers to a 68-70 Charger as a first gen). 

Craig (Carmak)

Ummm, first gen chargers were the 66-67.  LOL.   

And to get back on subject, it is odd that the first Mustangs were Falcon based.  And you guys are saying 71 - 73 are still first gen, when they were based on the Torino platform - a muich larger car?  

Great idea  though.   Be interested in seeing the finished set.