Model Cars Magazine Forum

I have really grown to love military modeling lately and I particularly like the weathering process. This was my first attempt at a larger scale weathering/diorama scene and I'm happy with the results. The kit is an old Emhar kit and it is not quite up to snuff when compared to today's kits, but I do think it builds into a nice replica.

qxl6fPi.jpg

fDpS0fr.jpg

IrenizX.jpg

D2QAMrJ.jpg

4 minutes ago, Jim B said:

Cool looking tank.  Nice weathering.

Thanks Jim! I love WWI kits the most. Those early tanks were wild - some were just basically a metal geometrical shape on tracks and yet, I can appreciate them because those innovations were what led to the incredibly advanced armor that we have now. That's also why I like 70's F1 cars the most. It was a "Let's put this on the car and see what works" mentality, and it made for some wild and beautiful cars. Come on, a six wheeler? Great stuff!!!

10 minutes ago, bamadon said:

OK, thanks. I'm not very familiar with WWI armor.

Don

Jim is correct - the kit had some extra parts that must go to one of the Emhar Mk1-4 tanks. I decided to place it for some visual interest and to make it look like a damaged panel on the field.

As Mike said up there, a great build of a not-so-great kit.  Very nice weathering.  For anyone else who wants to build these monsters, MENG and Takom are making some excellent WWI tank kits now, including some kits with interiors.

Here's a good diorama subject.  When the Red Army took Berlin in 1945, it came across 2 Mk IV tanks in the streets. According to Wiki: "Photographic evidence indicates that these were survivors of the Russian Civil War and had previously been displayed as a monument in Smolensk, Russia, before being brought to Berlin after the German invasion of the Soviet Union in 1941. Accounts of their active involvement in the Battle of Berlin have not been verified."

ww1_tank_berlin-1945.jpg

On 8/24/2020 at 9:42 AM, Dragline said:

Nice weathering for such a soso kit. I'd look into AMMO by Mig for weathering paints. Vallejo also has excellent weathering paint sets.

Weathering is fun.

I agree Bob. I'm improving with each new build. I never worry about achieving perfection, I build mainly to please myself. Any nice words from fellow builders is just a bonus!

• 2 weeks later...

Is this a 1/35 scale or the little 1/72? Either way, you'd never know it was a sub-par kit from looking at the finished project; nicely done! I like fiddling with Emhar kits, (I have a few planes) they give you reasonably good proportions and enough details to keep things interesting. I consider them models for guys who like building (and scratch-building) models, and they offer subjects the big guys won't often tackle. Watch for sales and you get outstanding value for your modeling dollar.