Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wild Hot Rod Project underway....

tim boyd

.....Revell '31 Model A Tudor sedan with interior adapted from the "skeleton" interior parts from the channeled version of Revell's 1930 Model A Five Window kit along with a real wood floorboard. 

The fully detailed and wired Thickstun Flathead Ford V8 uses parts from Norm's product line.

An extremely "Z'ed" frame was modified from the modestly "Ze'd" frame from the channeled chassis version of the REvell 1929 Model A Roadster and 1930 Model A Five Window Kits.  

Paint is House of Kolor Clear with multi-colored mini-flakes over black primer, followed by House of Kolor Candy Organic Green.  Windshield and backlight also tinted green. 

This was originally to be a magazine project car, but based on recent developments that no longer appears to be the case. But still hoping to finish the model, maybe later this year.  

Thanks for looking....TIM   

PS - this image was posted in response to an e-mail question from MCM Forum member Randy C.   

DSC 0663 

15 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

.....Revell '31 Model A Tudor sedan with interior adapted from the "skeleton" interior parts from the channeled version of Revell's 1930 Model A Five Window kit along with a real wood floorboard. 

The fully detailed and wired Thickstun Flathead Ford V8 uses parts from Norm's product line.

An extremely "Z'ed" frame was modified from the modestly "Ze'd" frame from the channeled chassis version of the REvell 1929 Model A Roadster and 1930 Model A Five Window Kits.  

Paint is House of Kolor Clear with multi-colored mini-flakes over black primer, followed by House of Kolor Candy Organic Green.  Windshield and backlight also tinted green. 

This was originally to be a magazine project car, but based on recent developments that no longer appears to be the case. But still hoping to finish the model, maybe later this year.  

Thanks for looking....TIM   

PS - this image was posted in response to an e-mail question from MCM Forum member Randy C.   

DSC 0663 

Nice! Where did you find those heads?

Hey Tim.  If you are doing models that MCM members ask about, can I chime in my request? Years ago you were making a closed-cab pick-up ('29 or '30 Model A Ford) for an article in Street Rodder Magazine. I always wanted to do one of those, but my skills were light-years behind yours. I remember you said to laminate sheet stock for the rear panel from the beltline down. Just wondering... did you ever finish that model; do you still have it ?    Thanks for your time to read this. 

Just now, misterNNL said:

Replicas and miniatures(Norm Veber) of Maryland. The best single source for vintage hot rod parts IMHO. All of his stuff is super accurate resin cast and flash free.

Thanks Admin for clearing that little glitch for me. You are all on your "A" game for sure!

1 hour ago, misterNNL said:

Replicas and miniatures(Norm Veber) of Maryland. The best single source for vintage hot rod parts IMHO. All of his stuff is super accurate resin cast and flash free.

What Tom said.  There are a number of other R&M of MD hot rod flathead Ford parts on that engine as well....including the clear fuel pump bowl which you can just barely make out in the photo at the back of the engine.  When finished it will will be wearing the R&M of MD Thickstun air cleaner atop those carbs....TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

1 hour ago, hack-n-whack said:

Hey Tim.  If you are doing models that MCM members ask about, can I chime in my request? Years ago you were making a closed-cab pick-up ('29 or '30 Model A Ford) for an article in Street Rodder Magazine. I always wanted to do one of those, but my skills were light-years behind yours. I remember you said to laminate sheet stock for the rear panel from the beltline down. Just wondering... did you ever finish that model; do you still have it ?    Thanks for your time to read this. 

Tom....I think this is the one that you are talking about....but this one was a Scale Auto Enthusiast article from what I recall....so..... 

DSC 0434

So maybe it was this one, which was a Street Rodder Modeler's how-to series.....

DSC 0588

This one got finished to the point of a complete chassis and suspension, but never got to the engine.  

Many more photos of both are available at this link....   thanks for asking....TIM 

1 hour ago, hack-n-whack said:

Yes!! That's the one!  So... From the bottom of the belt-line down is laminated sheet-stock. Now I can continue my attempt at one. I never knew there were resin cabs out there! BTY, great looking model.

Always glad to serve!  Thx for the compliment, too!  Cheers....TIM

8 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Tom....I think this is the one that you are talking about....but this one was a Scale Auto Enthusiast article from what I recall....so..... 

DSC 0434

So maybe it was this one, which was a Street Rodder Modeler's how-to series.....

DSC 0588

This one got finished to the point of a complete chassis and suspension, but never got to the engine.  

Many more photos of both are available at this link....   thanks for asking....TIM 

Impressive looking trucks Tim, really interested in this build, love your work!

Thanks again, everyone, for your comments and feedback on the Extreme "Z'ed" '31A tudor, as well as my several older Model A PIckups.  

Just wrapped up a different major build project; now have some home issues and projects to deal with, then hope to get back to this one and get 'er wrapped up ASAP. 

Best regards...TIM  

On 8/22/2020 at 3:27 PM, tim boyd said:

What Tom said.  There are a number of other R&M of MD hot rod flathead Ford parts on that engine as well....including the clear fuel pump bowl which you can just barely make out in the photo at the back of the engine.  When finished it will will be wearing the R&M of MD Thickstun air cleaner atop those carbs....TIM 

I can attest to Norm's great line of resin flathead accessories... the Thickstun heads you show here ( plus the matching air cleaner ) were popular marine racing parts back in the day .  I used his fantastic Eddie Meyer of Hollywood flathead hop up kit on this channeled AMT '29 model A build, along with his Ansen headers. The flathead fuel pump also. He also has a nice variety of flathead distributors. I think Custom historian Rik Hoving might've had a hand in the original masters.

20200827_225854.jpg

Edited by styromaniac

17 hours ago, styromaniac said:

I can attest to Norm's great line of resin flathead accessories... the Thickstun heads you show here ( plus the matching air cleaner ) were popular marine racing parts back in the day .  I used his fantastic Eddie Meyer of Hollywood flathead hop up kit on this channeled AMT '29 model A build, along with his Ansen headers. The flathead fuel pump also. He also has a nice variety of flathead distributors. I think Custom historian Rik Hoving might've had a hand in the original masters.

20200827_225854.jpg

Steve....fully agree with your comments on Norm's Ford Flathead Hot Rod Parts; I have most of them in my stash. 

You are also correct that Rik mastered a number of the parts, and that the Thickstun heads were popular for Marine racing, in that (as I understand it) the did an excellent job of sealing the sparkplug wires from shorting out due to water.  I was saving the Thickstun  head for another Boyd boat model, but never got around to building it, and this model needed an eyecatching  engine....so....voila!   

Meanwhile, your engine above looks super sharp!  Thanks for posting....TIM

• 2 weeks later...