Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wild Hot Rod Project underway....

tim boyd

15 hours ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

That looks RIGHT!! Did you bend up your own headers? I have a couple of Long John kits (bodies used to make a belly tanker), I will have take a peek in the boxes to see what the tires look like...hmmm...-RRR

Rodney....typed out a response to this on my new (supposedly not dumb) smart phone last night, but apparently it didn't take even though it said it did.  

Anyway, those headers were in the original c. 1963 Revell "Show and Go" drag/ski boat kit, the one Revell updated to become the Hemi Hydro in 1971 (but unfortunately losing those header pipes and some cool seating options in the process).  

I got my headers from a Replicas and Miniatures trans-kit that transforms the Hemi Hydro back to its original "Show and Go" format.  

I'm really enjoying how this is progressing Tim.  Isn't it amazing how many hours you can spend chasing the absolutely perfect wheel and tyre package?  I have some long stalled projects that are just waiting for that perfect tyre - a smarter person would put a near enough tyre or wheel on and swap it out if something better turned up, but that is simply not the way we think, is it?  It just HAS to be right!

Cheers

Alan

16 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Sir!

Top notch results, bravo! 

And to say that there is an old saying in the automotive world that implies that "a green car is bad luck". Wonder where it came from.

Never stopped great green cars to win AMBR or Riddler, and sometimes both. Go figure...

CT

A little Googling finds that Louis Chevrolet' s brother Gaston was killed while driving a green car at Indy in 1920. 

On 10/29/2020 at 2:11 PM, tim boyd said:

Given the 1/1 scale popularity of this hot rod build style, I would also very much like to see these reissued as a stand-alone part.   

Every so often I check auction sites hoping to find some of the old Monogram slicks. It seems to be difficult to find them with their original wheels,  in OK condition, and not paired with an early Customizing Kit that is $$$! I can be patient though...

Quick Update:  Slow but steady progress.  Engine/chassis/front&rear suspension completed and assembled.  Added sprint car steering box behind the IP and am now calling the interior done as well.   

Was fighting with the firewalls (two different approaches) this afternoon. 

Next steps:  install firewall in the body, install interior in the body, glue body to frame, install the grille shell/radiator and connect radiator hoses, figure out front and rear lighting, then hopefully call 'er essentially done. 

Measured the dimensions and determined that the body will sit a scale 4" lower than it would otherwise (e.g, using the Revell Model A Hot Rod chassis in its unaltered kit form).  Doesn't sound like much but makes a huge difference in the actual appearance.  Best to everyone...TIM 

20 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Tim how much did you z the frame in the rear?

Bob...I'll need to measure later and get back to you, but here's a visual of the extreme Z'ed frame vs. the modestly rear-only Z'ed Model A frame in the Revell hot rod kits....TIM 

DSC 0586

I am going to drop a bomb here and actually speak my mind, putting the little PC left in me aside.

I admire Tim Boyd's models and he has been nothing but inspiration for me for over 25 years. His impact on hot rod model building is absolutely undeniable and not likely to be matched any time soon, if ever again.

Having said this, this is the most disappointing thread of his I have ever encountered and is not even that much fault of his. It is the epitome of the parable about the King's new clothes. It is three pages with no meaningful content with two and a half pictures, filled by empty compliments and patronizing. It's like a brown-nosing contest. 

If I, or most anyone else had posted such a thread it would have been on page three by now with two replies. 

Get a grip boys!

P.S. Tim, this is not so much directed at you, as to the comments. Although, lets face it, you have not shown much to be commented on in this thread. 

P.S.S. Let me zip up my flame suit........

Edited by mrm

2 hours ago, mrm said:

I am going to drop a bomb here and actually speak my mind, putting the little PC left in me aside.

I admire Tim Boyd's models and he has been nothing but inspiration for me for over 25 years. His impact on hot rod model building is absolutely undeniable and not likely to be matched any time soon, if ever again.

Having said this, this is the most disappointing thread of his I have ever encountered and is not even that much fault of his. It is the epitome of the parable about the King's new clothes. It is three pages with no meaningful content with two and a half pictures, filled by empty compliments and patronizing. It's like a brown-nosing contest. 

If I, or most anyone else had posted such a thread it would have been on page three by now with two replies. 

Get a grip boys!

P.S. Tim, this is not so much directed at you, as to the comments. Although, lets face it, you have not shown much to be commented on in this thread. 

Michael...no worries.  You are correct; there is a reason I am being a bit restrictive in my coverage and it will play itself out later in a few months.  In the meantime, I do plan to post one or two photos of the completed model in this thread when I get it finally done.    

Best Regards....TIM 

Final Update of this thread, which was originally posted in response to a request from Forum member Randy C. who was at the time building a similar project.    

This was a major kitbashing project.  The central plan was to develop an “Extreme Z’ed” Model A chassis by further “Z-ing” the Model A frame in the Revell 1929 Model A Roadster and 1930 Model A Five Window kits.   As most of you know, the Revell frame was already modestly Z’ed in the rear, but in response to a question above from Bob, with this project the vertical “Z” dimension was increased to 7/16”, or about 10.5 inches in 1/1 scale.  At the same time, the front of the frame was also underwent the “Z-ing process, with a vertical dimension of 1/8” or about 3 inches in 1/1 scale.   Other changes include a reversed Model A front crossmember and the arched style Model A rear crossmember. 

As the Revell Model A Five Window Coupe kit presently remains out of production at this time after only a short period of availability a few years back, I built the model with the “unchopped” 1931 Model A Tudor body from Revell’s circa 1965 tooling of that body style.  The chopped 1932 grille shell and horizontal bar grille is from the Model Car Garage, and the cut-down firewall is from Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland.  The paint is (sadly, no longer available) Black Gold House of Kolors Candy Organic Green over multi-spectrum flake Clear.   The simulated roof covering is Tamiya British Racing Green with a semi-gloss clearcoat.  The tinted windows are cut from Office Supply transparent green report covers.

The interior was cut down from the “skeleton” interior for the channeled version of the previously mentioned Revell 1930 Model A Five Window, which will hopefully be reissued early next year.  Among many tweaks are a stained real wood floorboard and back seat area tonneau cover, real leather lower seat cushions, and a sprint car style cowl mounted steering box.

The chassis features front and rear suspensions with parts from the Roth Revell Outlaw kit, the Revell Model A Hot Rod kits, Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland, and the Revell 1931 Model A Tudor.  And yes, the rear suspension is a transverse leaf with Halibrand Quick Change.  Old style Friction Shocks are used throughout, and the transverse front spring shackles attach to the split wishbones instead of the front axle itself.   The wire wheels and front tires are from the AMT-Ertl stock versions 1934 Ford Five Window kit; the rear slicks are similar to those in the 1998 reissue of the Monogram Long John dragster. 

DSC 0242

(Image copyright Tim Boyd 11-20, all rights reserved, may not be used except with my express permission) 

The engine is a Revell Ford Flathead V8.  The Thickstun cylinder head covers and air cleaner, plus the intake manifold and carbs, coil, crab-style distributor, fuel pump and oil filler, exhaust headers, and generator all came from the Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland catalog.  The engine compartment received ignition wiring, fuel and oil plumbing, and an abbreviated carb linkage.  

DSC 0246

(Image copyright Tim Boyd 11-20, all rights reserved, may not be used except with my express permission) 

(Note that the paint below the cowl mount steering link in the image above is reflecting the rust on the base; it is not orange peeled or otherwise flawed (whew!)).   

This is the most extensively modified model I’ve built in many a year.  As I mentioned earlier, it fought me every step of the way.  There are many areas that I would do somewhat differently (and better) if I built the same model a second time.  But it’s done and I am still really pleased with how it came out overall. 

Comments and questions welcome.   Cheers….TIM     

Edited by tim boyd

On 11/7/2020 at 1:30 PM, mrm said:

Get a grip boys!

Interesting comment.  I'm sure many of feel this way about our builds.   When some of our more prolific builders share a thought with us, many of us, myself included, may rush to comment in hopes of being noticed?  Or so we can learn something?

As I was working on my parallel build to this, I felt a bit of what you are saying.   BUT I have nothing but respect for Tim Boyd and any of his builds - seems like I learn something from every build he shares even part of.   And this was no exception.   He did kinda post up on this one as we were working on same kind of project.  And yes my thread has only 2 pages total and most of them are  mine.   Tim encouraged me along the way, though, so I am not complaining at all.  And wish I had the patience, etc to do the build he did.   His looks what I had in my mind for stance when I started my build a bunch of years ago.  To this end, none of us can comment on every build.  

But, if Tim Boyd or any other builder chooses to share even a little bit of a build with us and we can learn somethhng, I am all in support of it.  No telling wher inspiration or  education can take place.  

I dig it! This has a really well done “modern traditional” style with the mix of metallic paint, whitewalls and then old spindly wire wheels. I really, really like the engine both because of the Thickstun equipment and how it’s paint detailed. Can’t wait to see more when you’re able to share. 

Hi Tim

Thanks for sharing this. Your sense of style, color and scale is once again spot on. And as always, a super clean build!! Thanks also for all you have done for the hobby over the years! (You and I met at one of the  GSL's in the early 90's. I was the guy with the orange 34 Vicky you took a few pictures of for Street Rodder.)

On 11/12/2020 at 5:02 PM, butter said:

Hi Tim

Thanks for sharing this. Your sense of style, color and scale is once again spot on. And as always, a super clean build!! Thanks also for all you have done for the hobby over the years! (You and I met at one of the  GSL's in the early 90's. I was the guy with the orange 34 Vicky you took a few pictures of for Street Rodder.)

Hi Ron....thanks for the kudos and glad you enjoyed seeing this one. 

I do recall meeting you back at the GSL, and I also vaguely recall associating a black woody of some kind with light colored wood....picturing it maybe as a '48 Ford cowl and front????

And I need to go back into those old Street Rodders and find the pix of your '34 Vicky....  Best....TIM

I agree with Dennis - I really like think this nailed that current “modern traditional” look well (as did the green Deuce in the final SA)

On a slightly related note,and I’ve posted a thread about this before but I’m interested in your answer - what do you consider the big trends in hot rodding generally right now Tim?  And where do you see us going next in rodding (both in scale and 1:1)?

I’m seeing a lot of those nice traditional colors but built in a slightly cleaner style than some of the ‘real’ traditional hot rods, but I’m not seeing a big movement towards any particular ‘big thing’ (like we had when rat rodding/patina rods were HUGE a while back, and then more recently the big interest in TRoG type projects).

Do you have your crystal ball handy there Tim? ? ?

Hey Tim, You have a pretty good memory,  It was a 41 woody built out of Testors 48 coupe.  i was fortunate enough to have it make the cover of Scale Auto (can we say that here?) Feb. of 1997.

Haven't built any thing in about 20 years, but i started on a project a while back, I am "de Foosing" the Fd-100 and building a replica of my 1:1 56 F-100 big window.  Hope to have it done for Heartland Nationals if they have the contest next summer.