Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Charger 500

jjsipes

Haven't posted much on this one until now. I wanted to add a 69 Charger 500 to my Chargee shelf. Looked at the old MPC kit and thought to myself, how much trouble would it be to use a Revell kit for one? Went digging thru my stash, foundĀ  Charger Daytona kit that I had held for something, found an extra 68 Charger. Cut the fenders off each and swapped the 68 fenders onto the Charger Daytona body. Alittle putty, primer, paint and clear looked good. Got it out last night to foil trim and noticed that the putty had sank into the holes that i had filled and putty for the Daytwing. Grabbed some water and sandpaper and then some wax and polished it up and looked great. Then I noticed more texture in the paint so tried the same thing, water sanded and waxed but broke thru. Had to scuff and repaint it. Hope it looks alright in the morning.

Haven't posted much on this one until now. I wanted to add a 69 Charger 500 to my Chargee shelf. Looked at the old MPC kit and thought to myself, how much trouble would it be to use a Revell kit for one? Went digging thru my stash, foundĀ  Charger Daytona kit that I had held for something, found an extra 68 Charger. Cut the fenders off each and swapped the 68 fenders onto the Charger Daytona body. Alittle putty, primer, paint and clear looked good. The old MPC grille fit into the surround of the 68 grille. Got it out last night to foil trim and noticed that the putty had sank into the holes that i had filled and putty for the Daytwing. Grabbed some water and sandpaper and then some wax and polished it up and looked great. Then I noticed more texture in the paint so tried the same thing, water sanded and waxed but broke thru. Had to scuff and repaint it. Hope it looks alright in the morning.

20200714_142818.jpg

20200714_163558.jpg

20200714_163606.jpg

20200716_181226.jpg

20200716_181236.jpg

20200720_204711.jpg

20200726_191231.jpg

20200822_181624.jpg

20200822_181631.jpg

11 minutes ago, Elmer Fudd said:

Maybe you can advise the stumped people here (including me) about the advantage of cutting up 3 kits to take the place of the old MPC Charger 500 kit.

The old MPC kit is alright but, if sit down and compare with the newer Revell mold, its years advanced. The molding is not as crisp, the seats are molded to the console, some of the suspension is molded to the chassis. Some trim is missing on the body. Injust prefer the Revell Charger kits.

35 minutes ago, jjsipes said:

The old MPC kit is alright but, if sit down and compare with the newer Revell mold, its years advanced. The molding is not as crisp, the seats are molded to the console, some of the suspension is molded to the chassis. Some trim is missing on the body. Injust prefer the Revell Charger kits.

That works for me. Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...