Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Midget-to-Big Car Conversion (Sort of)

14 hours ago, alan barton said:

It's working for me Dan!  Can't wait to see it with the painted hood on those knockout wheels - I reckon it will look nicely stretched out then.

I agree about those folk art cars - my hot rod collection has quite a few, including the Old Monogram 32 Hiboy with the two piece body, the 32 Sport coupe and the dragster you mentioned.  Still have to build my Long John dragster.

Cheers

Alan

Thanks, Alan! Glad you like it! That hood should help, too,  I agree! I have four more Monogram projects hanging around the bench, too. I derive a great deal of enjoyment, from them!

I tried out the straight knurls and made the caps for the hand pressure pump. I bought a set of 100 TPI straight knurls, to make blower drive pulleys. This is the first time I used them. I like the way the pump looks! I made the brake handle from a piece of stainless wire, and the head of a pin. Wire insulation serves as the back nut. As always, questions, comments and critiques are welcome! Thanks for looking!

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

I mounted the hand pump. I need to make a fitting, to get the pressure hose inside the car, so it can run back to the fuel tank, along the floor, with the main fuel line. My next big hurdle will be getting the clutch/brake pedal assembly built. It's pretty similar to the one I just did for the Model A coupe, so, there won't be a ton of new research, to build it. I also made a punch from small tubing, and made tonneau snaps from aluminum duct tape, for the exterior part of the coaming/upholstery.  As always, questions, comments and critiques are welcome. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

It's getting there. Got the pedals painted. Brake and clutch linkage are super simple, due to the fact that the body won't be removeable, and even the pedals are barely visible, with it on. I just didn't see any sense in going nuts! Brake handle is sorted out, torque tube cut to length. Next project will be throttle pedal and linkage. Hood will be a little tricky. I should be able to "button up" the body, over the  weekend. As always, questions, comments, critiques are always welcome! Thanks for looking.

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

15 hours ago, Earl Marischal said:

Really neat trick with the steering wheel wrap Daniel.

Rest of it is coming on nicely too.

steve

Thanks, Steve. I thought that just might work! I made a new gauge panel, today. It's not installed, in the photos, as it still needs some fine trimming, and to be "notched", where it meets the pipe, so it nestles in. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0011cr.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a few, since I updated this. The bottom "half" is getting ever so close! I'm down to lap belts, and a little touch up/clean up. Then, I will make the fitting for the pressure pump, and add that line, so that I can close the body, before adding the seat back, and all the padding. I still need to make lenses and bezels for the gauge panel, and figure out something to make a piece of molding, for the top arc, where it meets the body. I want to get everything done, but the hood, which I am kind of excited about. I'm going to make all three pieces from aluminum sheet, and hinge it on one side. I think that should look pretty cool. Anyway, here are a couple of shots of it, as it sits, now. The plastic engine panels are the first ones I made, years ago. They're just in place, here, to get an idea of how it will look. I will also make a new top piece for the hood. As always, questions, critiques and comments are welcome. Thank for looking!

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

On 9/27/2020 at 9:05 AM, Straightliner59 said:

I mounted the hand pump. I need to make a fitting, to get the pressure hose inside the car, so it can run back to the fuel tank, along the floor, with the main fuel line. My next big hurdle will be getting the clutch/brake pedal assembly built. It's pretty similar to the one I just did for the Model A coupe, so, there won't be a ton of new research, to build it. I also made a punch from small tubing, and made tonneau snaps from aluminum duct tape, for the exterior part of the coaming/upholstery.  As always, questions, comments and critiques are welcome. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

Please share your duct tape punch tool with us like how your made it etc. I can see a lot of very Neat uses for one of those. Thanks.

8 hours ago, misterNNL said:

Please share your duct tape punch tool with us like how your made it etc. I can see a lot of very Neat uses for one of those. Thanks.

Hi, Tom. I simply used a short length of 1/32" tubing, and tapered the inside edge with an X-Acto blade. I just chuck it in a pin-vise, to use it. The tapered inside edge causes the tape to dome, as it's cut. Makes pretty nice snaps!

I made a leather "boot" to surround the seat from a doubled-over black plastic trash bag. I think the texture is very nice. I added black piping of Detail Master black .0075" wire. I originally intended to use their red Detail Wire for all the piping, but, I couldn't get it to stick to the body, so, I went with the too-big stuff. I need to clean/touch all of this up. That will get me very close to mounting the wheel/tire assemblies.

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

Hey Daniel,

I've been following along and I have to say this a fabulous build. All the extra detail is fantastic.

You were asking how to get and even pattern on scale engine turning. Here is a pic of my solution. The trick is to hold the turning tool steady and move the surface being turned.. I made the jig in the picture. It keeps the rod with a piece dot of cloth sand paper glued to the end from walking. 

The surface is ducting tape. It takes the pattern very well. I tried this process with bare metal foil, but it turned the foil brittle and it chipped when it was installed.

Scott

Dash1-vi.jpg