Model Cars Magazine Forum

Remember this release list AMT put out back in 2007?

GMP440

I remember when this came out.   Not everything was released because of tooling or missing parts issues.

1/25 '70 Dodge Charger W/JL Car

1/25 '69 Dodge Daytona W/JL Car

1/25 '69 Pont Firebird W/JL Car

1/25 '58 Chevy Impala W/JL Car

1/25 Full Throttle '07 Mustang, NT

1/25 Full Throttle '70 Ply Cuda

1/25 Full Throttle '69 Camaro

1/25 '07 Dodge Challenger, NT

1/25 Pontiac GTO Hard Top

1/25 '60 Corvette

1/25 '94 GMC Sonoma

1/25 SNAP, '75 Chevy Blazer

1/25 '71 Mercury Spoiler

1/25 '86 Chevy El Camino

1/25 Super Judge GTO Funny Car

1/25 '53 Ford "Double Flip" Tk

1/25 '28 Ford Woody Pickup

1/25 '68 Dodge Coronet

Most of these cars are slated for a 9/30 release, but that will not be happening. These will be throughout the year, and I would bet that some of them may not make it next year.

Edited by GMP440
added list

I've longed for the MPC '71 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler kit for 25 years now and still can't give-up my hope. I remember back in 2007/08 when it was announced, but then heard the story that they poured styrene into its molds and out came the Hemi Dart so they reissued that kit! The molds were mis-labelled... but I still hang-on to that everlasting hope of a '71 Spoiler reissue!

Edited by '70 Grande

The '71 Spoiler still exists, since 1972 it has existed as the body in the NASCAR Cyclone kit.  In 2007, AMT was operated by RC2/Learning Curve who previously broomed out anyone who knew what they had and didn't have.  One catalog illustration for a reissue of the '61 Ranchero kit was that of the original annual kit.  Anyone with a functioning brain would know that the Ranchero kit has undergone significant alterations and cannot be reissued as anything like the annual kit.  They sold a private label reissue of the '32 Ford coupe thinking it had all of the original parts (again, it doesn't have anywhere near all of them).

2007 was the last full year under RC2/Learning Curve/Tomy.  They had announced that they were going to pull out of "automotive toys and collectibles" in 2008.  That would have meant shutting down AMT.  Round 2 leased the AMT and MPC assets (tooling and brand names) at the beginning of '08, and later negotiated the purchase of everything.  So there is no real connection between these announcements and the current ownership.

2 hours ago, Mark said:

2007 was the last full year under RC2/Learning Curve/Tomy.  They had announced that they were going to pull out of "automotive toys and collectibles" in 2008.  That would have meant shutting down AMT.  Round 2 leased the AMT and MPC assets (tooling and brand names) at the beginning of '08, and later negotiated the purchase of everything.  So there is no real connection between these announcements and the current ownership.

Not saying that there's a connection to the current ownership. I'm wondering if the list was not fulfilled due to Ertl fading out on the production of AMT and MPC kits during this period (?).

I'm wondering what the point of this post is? So in 2007 AMT said they were going to release certain kits at the time, and they didn't? It's an odd list that came out at a time that AMT was in transition period. Most of it was issued or reissued at a later date. Several kits on that list sound like they were variations that listed by someone who didn't really know what tools RC2 really had, and what kits they were going to really be able to offer in the near future of the time. I feel like we're beating dead horse with this thread.