Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight project

Repstock

46 minutes ago, Geno said:

A '72 like this, I like the fancier grille versus the '71.?

72pont98158-5.jpg

Honestly, I've considered trying to do a Grand Ville, but I'm not convinced it would sell well. The Ninety-Eight might not either, but in the beginning I was building it for me. Several people expressed interest, so I decided to have it cast. One very talented individual intends to modify my Ninety Eight into a 4 door version. I'll have to get one of those!

Pontiac Grand Ville #7

A '71 version.

Oh man, those Ponchos!  When I was in high school the tiny little Pontiac dealership owner was a member of the church adjacent to my school. He provided all the vehicles.. the big Bonnies the nuns drove and the Lemans used by us for drivers ed. The cars changed annually so he probably leased them to the parish for free.  

I understand Tom, I for one love these big full size cars. I also owned a Grandville at one time too back in the 80's, it was a '73 also, an excellent cruiser for sure. This is like the one I had, right down to the color and Rally II's. Wish I had my own pics of it. I really liked that car. The guy I sold it to totaled it sadly.

1973-pontiac-grand-ville.jpg

Edited by Geno

On 9/10/2020 at 11:04 AM, 1972coronet said:

7-ups.jpg.1cd5dec47f43ffe95bedef57e65c1506.jpg

Hey guys have to make a comment on this post not really building anymore parts and kits have become way to expensive have other priorities to focus on but all though you say a grandville would be nice i did scratch build one actually 2 a while back sold one wich was a 72 still have this 71 wich is not for sale just wanted to let anyone know that not only a 71 has been built but also a 72 i also have many kits  and parts kits and junk parts  if anyone is interested  klp121@aol.com drop me an email we,ll talk

20200919_171559-1.jpg

20200919_171705_Burst01-1.jpg

20200919_171730_Burst01-1.jpg

20200919_171614_Burst01-1.jpg

• 4 months later...

One of the last cars to have true class.   I had a 71 Regency 4 door hardtop, and a 76 Station wagon.   I absolutely loved those cars, and am excited to see that a master is being made so that I can someday have a model of one.  I will be following this big time.   Thank you for doing this.

On 8/23/2020 at 3:50 PM, Repstock said:

This model is based on the Juha Airio 1971 Delta 88 Royale kit. Juha has approved this conversion. It is a master for an upcoming resin offering. Please excuse the picture quality. 

DSCN0785.JPG

Excellent choice for a car of this limited era. I think it's a true beauty among most other early 70s land yachts, including Cadillac and Chrysler and I can tell the craftsmanship is spot on.

1 hour ago, Lunajammer said:

Excellent choice for a car of this limited era. I think it's a true beauty among most other early 70s land yachts, including Cadillac and Chrysler and I can tell the craftsmanship is spot on.

Thank you, I appreciate it. I'm inching closer to having it cast. Everything's been arranged, I just have to let things play out.

On 8/23/2020 at 4:50 PM, Repstock said:

This model is based on the Juha Airio 1971 Delta 88 Royale kit. Juha has approved this conversion. It is a master for an upcoming resin offering. Please excuse the picture quality. 

DSCN0780.JPG

DSCN0781.JPG

DSCN0782.JPG

DSCN0783.JPG

DSCN0784.JPG

DSCN0785.JPG

DSCN0786.JPG

DSCN0787.JPG

DSCN0788.JPG

DSCN0789.JPG

Try a darker background for more contrast..

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
On 2/3/2023 at 5:09 AM, MrObsessive said:

I got 3D files/drawings to print this car somewhere along the way. Gotta convert 'em first though to be printable. 😁

This is a '72...............

This is the future. Because of the proliferation of 3D cars, my caster doesn't think this has a market (I'm not sure I do, either), and the project is dead. Guess I'll build it myself. My final master, the 1972 Montego GT is in danger as well.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

John Sharisky, I was made aware of your Facebook posting looking for casters for this Olds project. Whatever the outcome, that means a lot to me, thank you! I have a caster for the 1972 Montego GT if I can ever get the final 3D work done on the rear bumper and taillights. I have no plans to master anymore after these, though.