Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airfix Triumph TR7

Produced in 1979 this kit I bought as an already started a few months ago. The instructions were yellowed instead of white, the decals had to have two coats of clear gloss enamel to save them and the kit had been started badly. It came in red plastic but the surface was bad so after research I painted it gloss white after three coats of white undercoat/matt, to stop the Red bleeding through. Although the white versions in the day had different markings I trimmed up the standard ones and kept my fingers crossed that they came out OK! You'll notice that I'm shaky round window rubbers and the front orange indicators (shaky hands).

The original box art, although mine was damaged.

photo-th.jpg

photo1-th.jpg

photo-th.jpg

photo1-th.jpg

The steering was broken so I used small alloy tube to correct it.

Edited by PatW

Wow Patrick! I build that Airfixkit back in '79 or '80. Great to see the TR7 again, here in Denmark one of our best rallydrivers back in the day had a fully prepared and British Leyland importersupported version for the national championship.

Great sound and lots of power (going straight it was fast... narrow twisty rallystages was quite a challenge for the noseheavy TR7).

Edited by svend66b@gmail.com

Thanks guys. When I was a rally marshal in the day I remember these with both the 2 litre four cylinder and the 3.5 litre V8. I also remember Tony Pond driving one of the V8's on stages that I worked on! Noisy and Lary the rear end sliding in all directions on the bends!

Edited by PatW

9 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

NIce save of a scarce old kit!

I believe I have one, as well as a Monogram TR. One of those two didn’t come with door cards, which was disappointing. 

Thanks Tom I've not seen one of these either for years! Your right Tom the Airfix one has no door cards.

9 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Looks really good.

I see these come up for sale every so often but they always seem to command decent money. I'd like to get one someday, or the Monogram TR7. Very different to the TRs that went before, but a great period car that's very much of its time.

Thanks Nigel. This was an 'already started' and as I say above not particularly well! The other versions I've seen are in white but with totally different decals, would that be the Monogram version?

8 hours ago, PatW said:

Thanks Nigel. This was an 'already started' and as I say above not particularly well! The other versions I've seen are in white but with totally different decals, would that be the Monogram version?

This is the Monogram version, I think they did a TR8 as well (probably just different decals and wheels, as there's no engine or meaningful suspension detail). I built one a long, long time ago, I suspect it may be LHD.

I have a feeling that a TR7 may have been done by Revell as Purdey's TR7 from the Avengers TV series. Joanna Lumley was playing the part of Purdey I believe.

Not sure about the Airfix one being an own tool, or it they used someone else's under licence at the time. Airfix have issued a number of different car kits under licence down the years in 1/25 and 1/24 scales.

1 hour ago, Bugatti Fan said:

I have a feeling that a TR7 may have been done by Revell as Purdey's TR7 from the Avengers TV series. Joanna Lumley was playing the part of Purdey I believe.

Not sure about the Airfix one being an own tool, or it they used someone else's under licence at the time. Airfix have issued a number of different car kits under licence down the years in 1/25 and 1/24 scales.

The Revell version was 1:25th scale and was a snap together kit, the Airfix TR7 was originally a Gunze Sangyo tooling

63f8e6163d9f4be50f5f6bd66e43d585.gif

gunze-sangyo-24-triumph-tr7-rally-kit_1_30bb9a87f04816bf335b32414b543986.jpg

I know we don't sell on here, but if anyone wants the Monogram kit, PM me.  I have one from my friend's collection that needs to go to a good home.  I think it's the release with silver car shown above.   He wanted me to build it for him before he passed away unexpectedly.   I think it was still sealed when he sent it to me.  Should be complete.  I just don't have time nor interest enough to build it now that he's not here to take it when complete.  

I came back here to post the TR7 photo I forgot earlier:

s-l1600.jpg

This one ended at £36 plus shipping.

I only have the wheels/tyres and instruction sheet remaining from the one I built in the early '80s. As I recall it was similar to put together to the Datsun 280Z and Ferrari 308 I recently finished.

10 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Yes Joanna played Purdey.

5 hours ago, TonyK said:

Well, after all that work you produced an excellent model. I think I've built a couple of Airfix models in my time and if I recall they aren't that great. You did good!

Thanks TonyK.

6 hours ago, randyc said:

I know we don't sell on here, but if anyone wants the Monogram kit, PM me.  I have one from my friend's collection that needs to go to a good home.  I think it's the release with silver car shown above.   He wanted me to build it for him before he passed away unexpectedly.   I think it was still sealed when he sent it to me.  Should be complete.  I just don't have time nor interest enough to build it now that he's not here to take it when complete.  

Thanks for the offer Randy but as being in the UK shipping from the USA is so expensive.

1 hour ago, PatW said:

Thanks for the offer Randy but as being in the UK shipping from the USA is so expensive.

And the paperwork.   Although Ebay has helped me on that with the Global Shipping thing.  However, I have no idea what the cost is on the receiver end.  My cost ends up being less than $10 to send to Kentucky usually.  They handle it from there.