Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modelhaus, has anyone out there bought the business?

It's been about 2 years since Modelhaus closed.  Don and Carol retired.  Has the business been sold?  The only thing I remember is that the son continued with the tire casting part.  The business operated for many years. I could only imagine all those molds and casting equipment that are still sitting unused. 

4 minutes ago, sfhess said:

Scroll to the top of the page, type "modelhaus" where it says SEARCH, then click the little magnifying glass.

Gee, thanks Scott!  I thought there was another current discussion in another section of the forum.

I followed your instructions, and that search produced 211 pages of matches. The top 2 point to this thread, the other ones (I scrolled through couple pages of results) are unrelated to the current discussion.  Very helpful - not!

Well that's USUALLY the best way to find stuff that has been posted in the forums previously.  I apologize for the inconvenience but that's what I would have to have done to find you the exact thread you might want to see.  I honestly thought it would be easier to find.

Edited by sfhess

The search function for this board is absolutely useless. As Peteski pointed out, you end up having to wade through numerous pages of totally unrelated "matches" before maybe finding what you were looking for. You'll get more specific search results by typing "site:modelcarsmag.com modelhaus" in your google search bar. BTW, checking the Google search results, there aren't a lot of discussions specifically related to what's going on with the equipment anywhere in this board.

2 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

The search function for this board is absolutely useless. As Peteski pointed out, you end up having to wade through numerous pages of totally unrelated "matches" before maybe finding what you were looking for. You'll get more specific search results by typing "site:modelcarsmag.com modelhaus" in your google search bar. BTW, checking the Google search results, there aren't a lot of discussions specifically related to what's going on with the equipment anywhere in this board.

I agree.. It's difficult to search for things on this message board and then weeding through pages and pages of info.  That's why I posted the topic.   It was just to have something fresh and get updated responses.   Things change from day to day, somewhere down the road a new topic would have been posted anyway.  

5 minutes ago, GMP440 said:

I agree.. It's difficult to search for things on this message board and then weeding through pages and pages of info.  That's why I posted the topic.   It was just to have something fresh and get updated responses.   Things change from day to day, somewhere down the road a new topic would have been posted anyway.  

You're right.

Any old discussions would have focused on the time period around when Modelhaus was closing it's doors.

A search won't help you at all.

I'm sure that if there was any new developments and a member of the forum had access to that information, they would have posted in a new thread.

No new news on the Modelhaus front that I am aware of.

Steve

I doubt at this point that anyone will buy the business.  Holthaus had a few possibles but nobody pulled the trigger. Its a large commitment to take over the business for one it would be a full time job. Second it takes a special skill set to run the operation. All of this means there is a limited market for possible buyers. 

On 8/26/2020 at 12:49 AM, sfhess said:

Scroll to the top of the page, type "modelhaus" where it says SEARCH, then click the little magnifying glass.

So I did this and didn't find any discussions about the business it self, just saying...

Search functions no matter what website or forum you are on usually throw up a lot of dross to wade through. It is just the nature of the beast. I think that we will just have to say goodbye to Modelhaus for good as I cannot see anyone taking what would be a very big commitment on!

16 hours ago, Paul Hettick said:

Don has sold a few kit masters/ molds/ and rights to cast them. To me they are quite reasonably priced. If any casters out there are interested In purchasing a single Modelhaus kit to reproduce, contact Don.

I had envisioned that this would be the way it would go down. Different casters buying their molds to things that are in their wheelhouse. That's fine by me. The Modelhaus' catalog was so vast, I don't think there was ever a chance of finding one party who could take the whole thing on.

It was nice to be able to buy a built or incomplete old American classic model, and knowing "The Modelhaus probably makes the missing parts for this one".  

1 hour ago, CapSat 6 said:

It was nice to be able to buy a built or incomplete old American classic model, and knowing "The Modelhaus probably makes the missing parts for this one".  

It was! I do see a booming used parts business on eBay today (with a lot of whining about cost!) and we share parts on message boards to keep us all moving projects forward. 

We are better off than before the Internet.

If indeed that Modelhaus business model of supplying missing parts was a goldmine, someone would have duplicated it by now!  

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

It was! I do see a booming used parts business on eBay today (with a lot of whining about cost!) and we share parts on message boards to keep us all moving projects forward. 

We are better off than before the Internet.

If indeed that Modelhaus business model of supplying missing parts was a goldmine, someone would have duplicated it by now!  

Interesting perspective.  Just add ; the business venture would have to have been taken on a very large scale for it to turn a profit.  Probably why no one has aqcuired the business.

On 8/26/2020 at 1:02 PM, sfhess said:

Well that's USUALLY the best way to find stuff that has been posted in the forums previously.  I apologize for the inconvenience but that's what I would have to have done to find you the exact thread you might want to see.  I honestly thought it would be easier to find.

Scott, the way you phrased your post: "There is a lot of discussion about this elsewhere in the forum." made it seem that there were currently other similar discussions about Modelhaus taking place on this forum, and that you were aware of them, but didn't bother to link to them.   That is why I was disappointed when I asked you to point me to those ongoing discussions, and you simply instructed me to search the forum.

I think that if you phrased your post slightly differently, like: "There were a lot of discussions about this elsewhere in the forum." that would not have evoked the response I had to your post.  No harm done - just a slight misunderstanding.

It was mentioned that Don Holthaus is just doing  special projects now.  Anyone know what special projects he has done or is doing? Since no one has come forward to buy the business at least Don is keeping the business alive in some way , shape or form.

I remember a while back the asking price was for the business and property .  And I remember it was well over 1mil. And unless he is sitting on some seriously valuable property

Serious doubts thats ever gonna happen.

I honestly think the best way to off it is piece by piece.