Model Cars Magazine Forum

1938 Opel Admiral Cabriolet

Plastheniker

1 hour ago, #1 model citizen said:

Very nice indeed! I'm curious as to the attachments mounted to the cowl's side. Mirrors? (doesn't look mirror face.) Lights?

Do you mean this? It is a turn signal from the time before turn signal lamps was invented.

Näyttökuva 2020-10-04 075332.jpg

Edited by Rakentaja

On 10/4/2020 at 5:50 AM, #1 model citizen said:

Very nice indeed! I'm curious as to the attachments mounted to the cowl's side. Mirrors? (doesn't look mirror face.) Lights?

On 10/4/2020 at 6:58 AM, Rakentaja said:

Do you mean this? It is a turn signal from the time before turn signal lamps was invented.

On 10/4/2020 at 10:15 AM, doorsovdoon said:

Very nice car! Those things sticking out are called trafficators. In the UK, they were always fitted in the B pillars as part of the car. They sprung out by way of a solenoid and lit up. Pretty cool.

Exactly as Jouko and Gareth said.

These devices were a European peculiarity (also in Italy, to my knowledge not in France).

In Germany the swing-out arms were initially made of metal, unlit and operated by Bowden cables. By and by they were made of orange, translucent plastic with a small bulb inside and operated electrically. At the final stage they moved up and down. Therefore they were colloquially called  Winker (= wavers).

Since 1961 all vehicles, old and new, had to be fitted with orange turn signal lights at the front and the rear.

Jouko, fantastic photography, the picture seems to be taken from a sales brochure.

10 hours ago, Plastheniker said:

Exactly as Jouko and Gareth said.

These devices were a European peculiarity (also in Italy, to my knowledge not in France).

In Germany the swing-out arms were initially made of metal, unlit and operated by Bowden cables. By and by they were made of orange, translucent plastic with a small bulb inside and operated electrically. At the final stage they moved up and down. Therefore they were colloquially called  Winker (= wavers).

Since 1961 all vehicles, old and new, had to be fitted with orange turn signal lights at the front and the rear.

Jouko, fantastic photography, the picture seems to be taken from a sales brochure.

Jürgen, the photo is not from the sales brochure, it is a cover image of the Revell scale model instructions. I have it because I have build 2 and ½ of them and they can be seen here if you have not seen them before. ?

In Finland those things were called Vinkkarit.

Näyttökuva 2020-10-06 071658.jpg

On 10/3/2020 at 11:58 PM, Rakentaja said:

Thanks for the response. I don't ever recall seeing that style turn signal, although it reminds me of the Citroens that had similar turn signal arms that were built into the B pillars. 

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, M. Wyatt said:

Jurgen,

I am humbled by all the nice builds! Would like to chat with you Mr Kowalski about making wire wheels.True wire wheels are the best!  I'm doing a vintage E-type Jag build. Is there a better way to contact you?

-Mark Wyatt

He has done a tutorial on making wire wheels the way he does them, and there are a couple of others also on the forum

11 hours ago, M. Wyatt said:

Jurgen,

I am humbled by all the nice builds! Would like to chat with you Mr Kowalski about making wire wheels.True wire wheels are the best!  I'm doing a vintage E-type Jag build. Is there a better way to contact you?

-Mark Wyatt

Mark, I have sent a PM just now.