Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Plastheniker

1938 Opel Admiral Cabriolet

Recommended Posts

Very nice indeed! I'm curious as to the attachments mounted to the cowl's side. Mirrors? (doesn't look mirror face.) Lights?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, #1 model citizen said:

Very nice indeed! I'm curious as to the attachments mounted to the cowl's side. Mirrors? (doesn't look mirror face.) Lights?

 

Do you mean this? It is a turn signal from the time before turn signal lamps was invented.

 

Näyttökuva 2020-10-04 075332.jpg

Edited by Rakentaja

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice car! Those things sticking out are called trafficators. In the UK, they were always fitted in the B pillars as part of the car. They sprung out by way of a solenoid and lit up. Pretty cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2020 at 5:50 AM, #1 model citizen said:

Very nice indeed! I'm curious as to the attachments mounted to the cowl's side. Mirrors? (doesn't look mirror face.) Lights?

 

On 10/4/2020 at 6:58 AM, Rakentaja said:

Do you mean this? It is a turn signal from the time before turn signal lamps was invented.

 

Näyttökuva 2020-10-04 075332.jpg

 

On 10/4/2020 at 10:15 AM, doorsovdoon said:

Very nice car! Those things sticking out are called trafficators. In the UK, they were always fitted in the B pillars as part of the car. They sprung out by way of a solenoid and lit up. Pretty cool.

Exactly as Jouko and Gareth said.

These devices were a European peculiarity (also in Italy, to my knowledge not in France).

 

In Germany the swing-out arms were initially made of metal, unlit and operated by Bowden cables. By and by they were made of orange, translucent plastic with a small bulb inside and operated electrically. At the final stage they moved up and down. Therefore they were colloquially called  Winker (= wavers).

Since 1961 all vehicles, old and new, had to be fitted with orange turn signal lights at the front and the rear.

Jouko, fantastic photography, the picture seems to be taken from a sales brochure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Plastheniker said:

 

 

Exactly as Jouko and Gareth said.

These devices were a European peculiarity (also in Italy, to my knowledge not in France).

 

In Germany the swing-out arms were initially made of metal, unlit and operated by Bowden cables. By and by they were made of orange, translucent plastic with a small bulb inside and operated electrically. At the final stage they moved up and down. Therefore they were colloquially called  Winker (= wavers).

Since 1961 all vehicles, old and new, had to be fitted with orange turn signal lights at the front and the rear.

Jouko, fantastic photography, the picture seems to be taken from a sales brochure.

Jürgen, the photo is not from the sales brochure, it is a cover image of the Revell scale model instructions. I have it because I have build 2 and ½ of them and they can be seen here if you have not seen them before. 😉

In Finland those things were called Vinkkarit.

 

Näyttökuva 2020-10-06 071658.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2020 at 11:58 PM, Rakentaja said:

Do you mean this? It is a turn signal from the time before turn signal lamps was invented.

 

Näyttökuva 2020-10-04 075332.jpg

Thanks for the response. I don't ever recall seeing that style turn signal, although it reminds me of the Citroens that had similar turn signal arms that were built into the B pillars. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow. Looks excellent Jürgen. i love the Color!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your work always looks Amazing! This is no exception! Top notch work indeed. Beautiful build!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...