Model Cars Magazine Forum

All-new: 1974 Road Runner E58 360 Full Detail Replica of a real 1/1

tim boyd

1 hour ago, Painted Black said:

Beep, Beep!! Cool car.

Thanks Robert...did you see the purple horn in the engine compartment photo?  (It is just barely visible in the lower left of the photo, ahead of the radiator wall structure and forward of the alternator).  That old Testors light purple color is very close match to the real thing!  Wasn't able to do the little 1/1 horn decal , though, that said something like "Voice of the Road Runner".... 

Cheers...Tim 

I'm surprised that you'd managed to eke 5 years' worth of daily driving out of that TX9 beauty . 

I remember my aunt's 1974 Caprice ( 4 door "Sports Sedan" ) and its rusty quarter panels . In 1976 -- I was 6 years old -- we were visiting family in Pennsylvania . The Caprice was parked in the driveway ; the rusty quarter panels were calling me to come check them out ( haha ) . I can still here my mum shouting from the porch , "Stay away from that car ! Don't touch that rust ! " , as flakes of the oxidised metal were falling on to the driveway .

Two year old car with rust galore .

Tim, I love stories of special ordered smog era cars aimed to be rightful muscle cars. The ability to create a spot on replica is an enjoyment most people wont have. You did an outstanding job and I hope the build has good memories as the real car did, except this one wont rust!

• 3 weeks later...

Looks great Tim! I love the color combo. I wonder if were someone to try it in the future how it might work to overlay the red graphics over the white graphics (if the kit comes with them) so the thin border strips would show up better. The headlights look great, and your use of the white pearl rather than solid white mixed with the clear looks like an idea worth trying out.  Now I'm going to have to finish this one! (I only started it about 25 years ago or so... I want to go Day 2 with it as well. With some Keystone Klassics. And definitely want to get the 74.

IMG_8939rt-vi.jpg

7 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Looks great Tim! I love the color combo. I wonder if were someone to try it in the future how it might work to overlay the red graphics over the white graphics (if the kit comes with them) so the thin border strips would show up better. 

Thanks Dave.   Apparently this was a past known issue at Round 2, but John G. had previously followed up and thought the issue was resolved in the latest reissue.  He's assured me it will be handled with the next reissue, both the lack of white backing on the outer stripes as well as the incorrect registration on the white backing where it was already provided on the hood stripes.  You could almost hear the "sigh" in his response.   The challenges of today's global supply base, of course, offset by the affordable and (often) better results from the same when everything goes as it should....

Really liking yours....I need to photograph my '71 MPC RR in the Sassy Grass/Green-Go color with black stripes and and an added mid-year canopy (1/2) vinyl roof....it would make a nice comparo with yours...

And thanks again for your headlamp painting tip several years ago...glad I finally got a chance to try it out. 

Best...TIM  

On 8/30/2020 at 12:42 PM, SoDak1 said:

Tim, I love stories of special ordered smog era cars aimed to be rightful muscle cars. The ability to create a spot on replica is an enjoyment most people wont have. You did an outstanding job and I hope the build has good memories as the real car did, except this one wont rust!

Jeffrey....thanks for the note. 

Glad to hear you are interesetd in early smog era muscle cars as they are also a real interest area for me. 

Between the E58 Mopar Wedge, the 1971/72 Pontiac 455 HO, and the 1971 Boss 351/1972 351 Cleveland Hi-Po 4 barrels, there were several killer/un-sung smog-era engines that performed incredibly well. 

Unfortunately, many of the mags back then, and since then, were uninformed and/or editorially deficient in their coverage of same.   I can't believe the number of otherwise reputable magazines and writers who blew their coverage of the E58 Wedge....often calling it nothing more than the Mopar C-Body 360 2-barrel with a wimpy 4 barrel added.  NOT.  I had included an entire page (sidebar) on the upgraded contents of the E58 Wedge in my book "Collecting Muscle Car Model Kits", but sadly I had to cut it as I was way over my word count max.  (Maybe it will appear in print some day).  And the 455 HO was an incredible performer that totally went under the radar screen both then, and even to some degree today.  And these days people have finally figured out that the Boss 3521 Mustang was probably the fastest first gen (1964/5 through 1973) Mustang of all, if not tied with the original 1968.5 428 Cobra Jet....

Of course, I am gathering that you are well aware of the above (as well as several others -  you know who you are!),  but perhaps this will be "new news" to the rest that are reading this thread....TIM 

Thanks again to all who have commented on this project.  It was certainly one of those "lifetime" model projects for me, but I guess I didn't realize there were so many other modelers interested in this subject!  Glad to hear otherwise!  

Best Regards....Tim 

Beautiful replica of your ‘Runner! You picked a great color scheme for sure. A dozen years ago or so, a customer of mine had a next door neighbor who owned an exact look alike of yours, colors and all, and sporting Cragars to boot! It was in fantastic shape and I remember thinking how good looking the car was! Cars like this only look even better nowadays, as new vehicles get uglier by the year. Nice work as usual ??

• 2 weeks later...

I know nothing about any era of Mopar vehicles but I know an excellent model when I see one! I also enjoy the kit-bashing noted as it shows what all it took to get to where you wanted to be. You pulled out all the stops on the detailing, the engine and chassis look fantastic. 

Edited by Dennis Lacy