Model Cars Magazine Forum

Zamac Tragedy

THarrison351

I know we have seen some paint rash and and even blisters. A few may have experienced some cracks or even total metal failure. I saw this last night on eBay and it's about the worst for a car mostly intact.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392922095032?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

I have one ancient Revell stock car that the front end cracked off and the car is ate up with blisters. It cracked right at the center between the hood and wheel well openings. Fortunately, I could super glue the cracks and the forward part is held to the chassis plate by screws.  You can't tell by this picture, but in person it's covered in blisters. I'll try and get it out tonight and take more pictures.

2v2HmC75zxAVNRq.jpg

Want to feel REAL BAD?????

A large number of Lionel and MTH O scale die cast model trains are failing to Zinc rot or Zinc pest as it's called. 

Difference is these are $3,000+ locomotives and there is no fix. MTH shuts down forever next month and Lionel can't replace hundreds of parts. The proeblem with trusting China to make a quality product. 

(PS I ain't a China hater...I worked with them on some projects....but they have issues with QC at times)

I've seen the train disasters. Those are wallet busters. Here are some more more photos of the Brett Bodine Quaker State Thunderbird. You can see some bubbles in the Q.

2v2HmL3cjxAVNRq.jpg

Cracked and glued fenders.

2v2HmL3vzxAVNRq.jpg

Bubbles and cracks in trunk lid. The car is covered in them.

2v2HmL3ojxAVNRq.jpg

I have two other cars with some bubbling, but no failure as of yet. Both are older Danbury Mint. A 1958 Impala Convertible's trunk lid and 1934 Packard V12 LeBaron Speedster's main body. They were cheap to buy, so I'm not upset.

Yeah, that's bad! A lot like the Mercedes. When I was researching this in the past, I looked up zinc pest as Dave Van mentioned in his post. The pictures of these $$$ trains literally exploded in their boxes were amazing. I've seen some pretty nasty corrosion in aircraft aluminum, but this Zamak is crazy the way it expands!  

Apparently, the metal mix was allowed to vary from batch to batch during production runs in some instances.

I have one Danbury Franklin Mint Pontiac I bought for parts that's as bad as Ray's Cobra, and an identical one that's not deteriorated at all.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I had  MANY 1/18 diecasts, as well as a number of mint cars and smaller scales and have experienced a wide range of deterioration. From paint rash to disintegration. I had cars that ranged from low cost  Maistos  up to high dollar models from Lane, GMP, AutoArt, etc. The problems did not discriminate....The models were stored in a very low light, temperature controlled, stable area. i was very careful with them, but the problems still occurred with a significant number of the models I had.  Probably something like 1 in 4 had some type of issue. I got so disgusted, I sold nearly all of them. I have since pretty much stuck with plastic models. It has been my experience that it is not a question of if, but a question of when you will experience some level of damage when collecting diecast. 

3 hours ago, cobraman said:

... yet ?

It all depends on who did the makeup of the batch of molten metal your particular model was cast from, and whether he allowed the contaminants in it that cause disintegration (lead, which can be sourced very cheaply from recycled batteries and incorporated in "zamak" by unscrupulous manufacturers).

I have cast zinc and "zamak" model railroad locomotive shells, rolling stock, and parts from the 1940s through the '60s that have shown no sign whatsoever of coming apart, blistering, or anything else.

They were, however, made in the US, Japan, or Korea.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Having been a Redline Hot Wheels collector for many years I've been seeing this for some time. There's some 1970/71 castings that deteriorate and are referred to as crumblers. Unfortunately there's no way to stop the process, once it's starts it's only a matter of time before it turns to dust. I have a couple of cars that are nothing more than a base or body, wheels and windows with metal chunks in mint blister packs. At least those parts are going to be used to restore rare castings in the future.

Zinc pest is a huge subject over on the train forums as the guys are losing $3K a hit!!!!

Zinc has been used forever....I have a 1939 Lionel locomotive that is zinc and it is perfect. Zinc pest comes into play when trash metal is allowed to be used.....and there is no way to know if the manufacture cheated until it's to late. But overseas manufacturing is why we see an increase in the terror!!!

I had a CMW 49 Mercury fall apart.  I also had an Ertl 68? Chevelle SS 396 that had issues from day one.  Bubbles in paint.  It never got worse, but I saw others on eBay that had similar issues.   Seemed to be the Black ones. 

I have several firearms with Zamak parts up to and including the frames. Have never had any problem with any of them. I guess the alloy composition is more carefully controlled in the firearms industry than in the "toy" bidness. :unsure:

15 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I have several firearms with Zamak parts up to and including the frames. Have never had any problem with any of them. I guess the alloy composition is more carefully controlled in the firearms industry than in the "toy" bidness. :unsure:

Are they US made??? QC is often better.......firearms for sure!!!

On 8/29/2020 at 9:29 PM, Snake45 said:

Hi-Point for the win!!!  ?

Not being a gun snob. My first handgun was a Hi-Point 45. Was looking to buy another one just as all the virus BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH started and drove the prices up and out of stock.

1 hour ago, stinkybritches said:

Hi-Point for the win!!!  ?

I don't have any Hi-Points. I have a couple Walther lookalikes made by Erma but assembled in the US by Excam and Iver Johnson that I believe have zamak frames, and maybe slides, too. They're both good shooters. 

I also have a couple Erma-made M1 Carbine lookalike .22 rifles that almost certainly have some zamak in them somewhere. They've also been good shooters. No problems with any of them. 

• 2 weeks later...

I inherited some old HO loco parts (boilers and tenders etc.) in the '80s that were already cracking and breaking.

I also have some Lesney-era Matchbox cars with a bit of a sandy texture.

So don't blame the Chinese for inventing zinc rot.  :-)

While I'm at it, here's a little warning relating to diecast corrosion:

DO NOT use baking soda to represent snow in dioramas.  I made that mistake and ruined a few 1:43 diecasts.  The metal was severely pitted in areas, and chrome plating was also removed in spots.  Both the chrome finish and the metal contain aluminum.  My mother often warned of using baking soda with aluminum pans when baking.  I found out what happens.  :-(

MGB-GT Diecast2.jpg

MGB-GT Diecast1.jpg

Brumm Topolino2.jpg

Brumm Topolino1.jpg

• 4 months later...