Model Cars Magazine Forum

Blower belt cogs...

Several ways to go here , for the cast part in the kit , use a small file and put grooves on the back side of the belt to simulate the ribs on the belt . Next would be to cut the pulleys loose from the part and file it down to actually look like a pulley and use black electrical tape cut into the appropriate width ( with pieces of .010 rod applied to the sticky side to simulate the ribs) and paint it flat black . Another way is to find the drive belt from an old printer that is the right size and cut it up to the correct length and use it with pulleys cut to fit . I'm the there are other ways but these have worked for me in the past . 

17 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

Hello guys,

I've seen wonderful tutorials about making realistic blower belts, just my PC crashed and all is gone.

Anyone know a good way to add detail for a blower belt?  Meaning, the inside surface of the belt.

Mike..

Hi Mike!

I often thinned the acrual kit belt/pulley assembly with a flat file (i.e the BELT part), and glued ribbed plastic pannel (plastruct or Evergreen) from my LHS on the inside. It looked credible...

CT

@oldnslow.... Excellent!   The method of adding material to the inside of a sticky tape is a keeper. Thanks for the tip!

@CT, many thanks for your insight.  I like this method, add your own details. Just, I have no motor in 1:16 scale. Indeed, adding the ribs to the inside with a suitable material is an excellent tip.  Perfect, now I do not need to shop for parts.

Thanks fellows.