Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 1/12 Ferrari 312b

I have been working on this kit on and off since the beginning of the year year, haven't made much progress on it, as I started off with the oil coolers, and the struggle to 100% get rid of the nasty in your face seam lines. 

Eventually got them perfect, and then had some hassles with the white paint, I think it was a bit thick, it had a lovely finish, but even after 2 weeks of curing, it was soft enough to leave imprints... So back to the beginning, stripping them down. 

Will do a bit of a catch up post in the next day or so, and then continue with updates as I progress. 

IMG_20191015_174638.jpg

Seat:

After gluing in the elbow section of the seat, I filled in the gaps with putty and sanded it down. 

I decided to go with black interior, gave it a coat of black, and poured on some clear embossing powder to give it some texture. I could not leave it with the original texture, as the sanding around the elbow section was smooth out, and would look odd. 

A few more coats of Matt black over the embossing powder, and I am quite happy with the outcome. 

IMG_20191008_202525.jpg

IMG_20191101_065628.jpg

IMG_20191117_154405.jpg

Edited by IanH
  • Like 1

Oil Coolers:

These are as they are currently, the one on the left has been sanded down after having indentations come up as seen on the right one. 

I will be stripping these fully and will be starting over again, spent hours on this, but am just not happy with it. 

IMG_20200622_084717.jpg

IMG_20200614_164252.jpg

IMG_20200614_163909.jpg

• Like 1

Oil Tanks & Battery:

I am quite happy with the outcome of the oil tanks and the battery. 

Oil tanks took some time sanding to get rid of the seams, they're not 100% gone, but they will be hidden by the oil coolers, so I they're good. 

Battery took some careful masking to get clean lines for the yellow caps, and look pretty neat to me. 

What's a battery without a battery clamp! 

I scratch built this battery clamp as per reference photos, and used some Top Studio bolt heads to make it look more realistic. 

I will still be adding battery cables, but that will be a bit later. 

IMG_20200421_220104.jpg

IMG_20200421_220048.jpg

IMG_20200509_163615.jpg

IMG_20200509_163634.jpg

• 3 months later...

Been a while since I've done much on this kit, but starting to get the body ready by drilling out all of the rivets as I will be replacing the molded bumps with 3d printed resin rivets. 

I think I am about 3/4 done... 

IMG_20201215_185819.jpg

IMG_20201215_185827.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2020 at 3:17 AM, IanH said:

Oil Coolers:

These are as they are currently, the one on the left has been sanded down after having indentations come up as seen on the right one. 

I will be stripping these fully and will be starting over again, spent hours on this, but am just not happy with it. 

IMG_20200622_084717.jpg

IMG_20200614_164252.jpg

IMG_20200614_163909.jpg

That looks more like your paint is cracking and/or crazing. What sort of paint are you using?

Currently back to working on this kit, looking forward to seeing further progress.

3 hours ago, 64Comet404 said:

That looks more like your paint is cracking and/or crazing. What sort of paint are you using?

Currently back to working on this kit, looking forward to seeing further progress.

This was Tamiya Acrylic.... I think I put it on too thick... Going to rather use the TS or LP paint from Tamiya when I get to this again, hopefully in the next few days. 

OK, so I realised that I need to fix up some holes... 

The bottom half of the body was drilled out according to the dimples molded by Tamiya, and when looking at it now (the filled black marks) it just doesn't look right... If it were a panel, the rivets would continue in the same direction. 

So I have filled these with sprue goo, sanded, and will be re drilling new holes in the direction following the holes from the main body. 

IMG_20201230_104716.jpg

Finished up the additional holes on the lower portion of the body, photos are not awesome, but you can see the new holes, which align so much better with the upper portion of the body than the original holes which were drilled in place of the factory dimples. 

IMG_20201230_140556.jpg

IMG_20201230_140550.jpg

Ian, that's crazy rivet detail work!  You have my attention and we are watching you now, so we will be keeping up with your progress.

I am working this kit again, and is on my bench as well.  Except mine is a restoration job from when I built it as a teen, but don't want to go into such detail like yours.

Those rear cooler scoops are tough, to get the front openings nice and clean is a bit challenging.  I went with a flat white paint on mine and may semi gloss over them.  The flat white lays nicely and hides a bit of imperfection.

1 minute ago, steveracer said:

Ian, that's crazy rivet detail work!  You have my attention and we are watching you now, so we will be keeping up with your progress.

I am working this kit again, and is on my bench as well.  Except mine is a restoration job from when I built it as a teen, but don't want to go into such detail like yours.

Those rear cooler scoops are tough, to get the front openings nice and clean is a bit challenging.  I went with a flat white paint on mine and may semi gloss over them.  The flat white lays nicely and hides a bit of imperfection.

Thanks, I almost have the oil coolers smooth enough to my liking, will be re-attempting the paint on them in the next few days when I start to primer the body. 

It's really quite a complex piece of bodywork to paint, as I want to clean up the join between the two body halves, so I need to finish up the bulk of the interior before I can tape it off to fix up the join, and the there is the fitting which goes around the driver section which also fits with some gaps, so I want to fix that up too, which all means paint in sections, then tape up and Putty, paint again, etc.. Maybe I am over complicating it, but it will get there eventually! 

Post up your restoration project, would be keen to have a look? 

Ian I should post up the restoration.  Perhaps we can share reference photo links as there seems to be relatively little detail imagery on the net for the business end of the 312B.   I am taking liberties to do what I feel is right in some spots.

What color do you really think the upper rear bulkhead should be, black or "aluminum"?  The part that the rear shocks attach to?  I can't really tell.

46 minutes ago, steveracer said:

Ian I should post up the restoration.  Perhaps we can share reference photo links as there seems to be relatively little detail imagery on the net for the business end of the 312B.   I am taking liberties to do what I feel is right in some spots.

What color do you really think the upper rear bulkhead should be, black or "aluminum"?  The part that the rear shocks attach to?  I can't really tell.

Yeah, I struggled, but over time built up a nice collection of reference photos, and will happily share them... Not sure what the best way to do that is... 

From this pic, that part is black... 

Screenshot_20200220_144800_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

43 minutes ago, steveracer said:

Awesome!  Thanks.

And for reference, I like using period photos, not the current restored cars - I notice they are updated in some areas, however they are still cool as heck.

I agree with you 100% Good reference photos are really important when building "big scale" cars. Details are very important.

1 hour ago, steveracer said:

Awesome!  Thanks.

And for reference, I like using period photos, not the current restored cars - I notice they are updated in some areas, however they are still cool as heck.

Agree, the restored versions are a great help, but you will not easily know what was updated. 

BTW, this is a period photo, note the additional vehicles in the background.... Here's another from a different angle, you can see that this is an older style building, with guys and older fashioned clothing ?

Screenshot_20200220_144755_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

Continuing with some body prep... I want to putty on this top shroud around the driver before painting the body so that they are painted as one. 

Without this it appears that there will be a couple of gaps between the two parts, and I really don't want that. 

So doing this, I create some extra challenges when painting... How do I paint that section just behind the shroud in front of the dash (red), and how do I paint the inside of this shroud black especially the front section just above this red part.... 

Decided to mark of the section on the body, and will be painting this little piece red, clear coating, etc all before gluing on the shroud and before main body painting. 

Will also mask off the outer sides of the shroud, and will be painting this black... 

Hoping to lay some paint in the next day or two. 

IMG_20210102_142544.jpg

IMG_20210102_142554.jpg

IMG_20210102_142633.jpg

IMG_20210102_142650.jpg